Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

envelope shaper on ios similar to lfo tool?

i love lfo tool on my desktop, is there anything like that on ios?

Comments

• maybe there are none? any devs out there, this might be a good idea for a new fx app

• @eross said:
    i love lfo tool on my desktop, is there anything like that on

Prob. the closest you’ll find is Bram’s perforator. Behind the menu you can set it to send CC’s.
    Or you can use StepPolyArp which will send various modulations
    Or you can use Sugarbytes thesys as well whic can also send modulations

Most of these will result in stepping though so it may not work for you if you need smooth curves.

• that’s cool i didn’t know that about perforator. i’ll ya e to check out the CC’s > @MonkeyDrummer said:

@eross said:
    i love lfo tool on my desktop, is there anything like that on

Prob. the closest you’ll find is Bram’s perforator. Behind the menu you can set it to send CC’s.
    Or you can use StepPolyArp which will send various modulations
    Or you can use Sugarbytes thesys as well whic can also send modulations

Most of these will result in stepping though so it may not work for you if you need smooth curves.

• I can’t think of anything that does all that.
    Sure looks cool.

• FAC envolver can send MIDI CC so you can feed it with audio signal that copies the shape of your desired lfo. This way you can basically use LFO engine of any synth just by modulating the volume of your output.

• edited April 2019

so are you saying i could use the lfo of another synth to modulate it’s volume... which will> @skrat said:

FAC envolver can send MIDI CC so you can feed it with audio signal that copies the shape of your desired lfo. This way you can basically use LFO engine of any synth just by modulating the volume of your output of that synth, and have that synth and the carrier input into Envolver which in turn will modulate any other synth via cc?

• @eross said:
    so are you saying i could use the lfo of another synth to modulate it’s volume... which will> @skrat said:

Yes, it basically translate audio signal (its volume) into MIDI CC values. Whatever shape of waveform you can generate (you can even use samples if you like their shape :smile: ) the same shape will your MIDI CC signal have (with resolution of only 128 steps ofc, but that's MIDI).

I don't know about a synth with the best LFO possibilities, but now Turnado comes to my mind: it has a very nice modulation options and options to combine them and you'll use them to modulate the output volume, no matter what effect you use (you don't care about the color of the sound, but it's shape). You'd need to feed it with some static signal though, in AUM you can use internal sampler with a very simple sine wave sample looped, this would probably have the smallest footprint on CPU and memory.

• FAC Envolver in tandem with the LFO's in apeMatix or the LFO component in @brambos's midi suite is pretty cool but not the same. It's a pity that Klevgrand doesn't enable MIDI out in Kuvert as that would be so much better than using the built-in FX and is pretty close to LFO Tool minus the bezier curve control.

Another approach would be to use Sugar Bytes Thesys to sequence pitch bends and then use mfxConvert to turn those pitch bends to MIDI CC's. This will get you very close to LFO Tool, with the added advantage that it will be really easy to coordinate those bending CC messages with per step sequence data. Only warning here is that Thesys is really fiddly to use on iOS (bad conversion from the original desktop app), but you get used to it over time

This is definitely something an enterprising dev should look into creating. Maybe @brambos could add it to Rozetta.

As a benchmark, my favourite application for this kind of bezier curve control is FL Studio, where it's used within multiple instruments including Sytrus and as a modulation tool for any other instrument, virtual or hardware (recently added to Ableton in 10.1 too).

• edited April 2019

Why not just use AD Filterstation 2?
    All kinds of filters, LFO shapes, simple VCA leveller, and an audio envelope follower that can be used to modulate levels and filters ... what else do you need? :smiley:

• edited April 2019

@rs2000 said:
    All kinds of filters, LFO shapes, simple VCA leveller, and an audio envelope follower that can be used to modulate levels and filters ... what else do you need? :smiley:

I think what the OP was looking for was the freedom you get with LFO Tool to modulate any parameter of another instrument or FX. LFO Tool also has the advantage that it uses host automation rather than MIDI CC's so there's no stepping when working with other plugins.

I could have misread his intent and he may be looking for an all-in-one tool.

• edited April 2019

Kuvert

Klevgrand

• @jonmoore said:

@rs2000 said:

I think what the OP was looking for was the freedom you get with LFO Tool to modulate any parameter of another instrument or FX. LFO Tool also has the advantage that it uses host automation rather than MIDI CC's so there's no stepping when working with other plugins.

I could have misread his intent and he may be looking for an all-in-one tool.

Yep, maybe @eross would enlighten us on what he needs the most in LFO Tool.

• This is what I believe he's talking about.

https://xferrecords.com/products/lfo-tool

• @jonmoore said:
    This is what I believe he's talking about.

Yep, that's the only "LFO Tool" I know about.

• Hoping that Art Kerns updates his apps to AUs one day.
    Also when Atom from Blueveek gets a modulation editor this could be useful here too.

• I think this has been superseded by Rozetta Suite as AUv3 is far more flexible for MIDI FX. I'd love to see Arthur Kerns update all his apps to AU as they're a great set of MIDI utilities.

• yep that’s the one

@jonmoore said:
    This is what I believe he's talking about.

https://xferrecords.com/products/lfo-tool

• oh yeah that’s a good one. i might check that out too> @BiancaNeve said:

• cool! > @rs2000 said:

• Oh cool, didn't realize FilterStation can send out control signals, not just audio. Oh wait a second, can it send out control signals? I think this is what OP needs?

Oh hot damn, Audio Damage just went on sale!

• so how do you modulate other synths with this app, i don’t see where it sends midi cc out> @rs2000 said:

• @eross said:
    so how do you modulate other synths with this app, i don’t see where it sends midi cc out> @rs2000 said:

That wasn't the original question, but for modulation with FX or synths I'm using apeMatrix :D

• edited April 2019

@rs2000
    @eross said:

More accurately the original question was with regard to finding something similar to LFO Tool, which is a desktop application that has no internal synthesis engine, it's purely for the modulation of other instruments/FX and it's far more than a tradition LFO.

I think I'm correct in saying that @eross appreciated all of the suggestions even though many of them didn't answer his original request directly but the reality is that Filterstation 2 is in no way like LFO Tool and other suggestions were closer to his original request.

But to be specific, no single tool exists on iOS that replicates LFO Tool but you can combine apps to get a simar outcome. As I mentioned earlier, I think the provision of an LFO Tool like AUv3 is a gaping hole for an enterprising iOS developer. And I'm hoping @brambos will come to our rescue. :)

• @jonmoore said:
    But to be specific, no single tool exists on iOS that replicates LFO Tool but you can combine apps to get a simar outcome. As I mentioned earlier, I think the provision of an LFO Tool like AUv3 is a gaping hole for an enterprising iOS developer. And I'm hoping @brambos will come to our rescue. :)

...and while we're at it, another gaping hole is a nice AUv3 channel strip like the one in Auria :)

• @rs2000 said:

...and while we're at it, another gaping hole is a nice AUv3 channel strip like the one in Auria :)

True dat. :)

• yes, i very much enjoyed all the suggestions, it’s nice to see how other people use certain apps and find little tricks and tips that I otherwise may not have noticed. that’s why I like the audiobus forum so much!

@jonmoore said:

@rs2000
    @eross said:

More accurately the original question was with regard to finding something similar to LFO Tool, which is a desktop application that has no internal synthesis engine, it's purely for the modulation of other instruments/FX and it's far more than a tradition LFO.

I think I'm correct in saying that @eross appreciated all of the suggestions even though many of them didn't answer his original request directly but the reality is that Filterstation 2 is in no way like LFO Tool and other suggestions were closer to his original request.

• @eross said:
    yes, i very much enjoyed all the suggestions, it’s nice to see how other people use certain apps and find little tricks and tips that I otherwise may not have noticed. that’s why I like the audiobus forum so much!

:+1: