Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ATOM - Piano Roll - AUv3 Midi Editor - Pre Release Demo for the iPad - This is EPIC

Comments

• edited April 2019

@klownshed said:

@brambos said:

@klownshed said:
    I get bored with ambient type music very quickly. It’s like I’ve heard those four notes looped a hundred times now, where’s the chorus? ;-)

It's not necessarily just ambient music which lends itself to "let's see where this spur of the moment thing goes" modular approach. Many types of electronic music like techno, acid or post-industrial-funk-bass-core can be done in this evolving way.

I suppose the whole point is to get away from the traditional linear approach. It's not so much the end result that drives the modular/daw-less way, but in fact it being another method for getting there (or never getting there at all) :)

That’s what I’m trying to wrap my head around :-)

I’m already an expert at not getting there. Another way of no getting there probably won’t hurt ;-)

I like the idea that this could take me in a different direction but the lack of structure might quickly get in my way. But this is a limitation of me, not the technology! I've been using Logic since v1 so it's pretty ingrained by now. It's hard to learn new tricks but might be fun.

I was wondering how you lot approach this and whether getting rid of the structure is actually the point.

Hah! I totally see where you're coming from, and I suspect this is one of the most subjective and personal aspects of making music (i.e. the creative process). For me the personal lightbulb moment was the realization I wasn't making music to record and share for others to listen to, but as a creative/entertainment outlet for myself after a hard day's work.

Which meant that I could let go of the linear paradigm with fixed song structures I grew up with (Adlib Visual Composer was my first sequencer, and I spent many years making music in the uber-linear Cakewalk Pro 3) and just enjoy getting lost in tinkering and looping. For me that is gratifying, but I reckon if your motivation is sharing your finished work, it may not be the most productive way to go B) :D

• @brambos said:

@klownshed said:

@brambos said:

@klownshed said:
    I get bored with ambient type music very quickly. It’s like I’ve heard those four notes looped a hundred times now, where’s the chorus? ;-)

It's not necessarily just ambient music which lends itself to "let's see where this spur of the moment thing goes" modular approach. Many types of electronic music like techno, acid or post-industrial-funk-bass-core can be done in this evolving way.

I suppose the whole point is to get away from the traditional linear approach. It's not so much the end result that drives the modular/daw-less way, but in fact it being another method for getting there (or never getting there at all) :)

I’m already an expert at not getting there. Another way of no getting there probably won’t hurt ;-)

I like the idea that this could take me in a different direction but the lack of structure might quickly get in my way. But this is a limitation of me, not the technology! I've been using Logic since v1 so it's pretty ingrained by now. It's hard to learn new tricks but might be fun.

I was wondering how you lot approach this and whether getting rid of the structure is actually the point.

Hah! I totally see where you're coming from, and I suspect this is one of the most subjective and personal aspects of making music (i.e. the creative process). For me the personal lightbulb moment was the realization I wasn't making music to record and share for others to listen to, but as a creative/entertainment outlet for myself after a hard day's work.

Which meant that I could let go of the linear paradigm with fixed song structures I grew up with (Adlib Visual Composer was my first sequencer, and I spent many years making music in the uber-linear Cakewalk Pro 3) and just enjoy getting lost in tinkering and looping. For me that is gratifying, but I reckon if your motivation is sharing your finished work, it may not be the most productive way to go B) :D

Yeah I’ve spent so long in Digital Perfomer and Logic’s timelines it is ingrained!

But I have had a revelation recently with composing in the “session/scene” views in Ableton Live and Gadget. I love being able to jot down ideas for phrases / riffs / beats and they just keep repeating for me to jam/compose over the top without me having to build it all up in the timeline. And then new melodic ideas can be added to a new scene for a “chorus” or so on - and then it is so great to be able to switch between verses and choruses at will without having to build it up in the timeline. I find it really liberating!!! Especially with Ableton where you can later perform your scenes and record them in the timeline if you want to share it as a mp3.

On iOS ATOM will be great for allowing looping of MIDI ideas - but what will interest me most is if there is a way to switch between ATOM patterns like scenes.
    For example I might have 3 instances of Atom - on drums, bass and pad. I’d like to be able to switch them all at the same time from one pattern to another.

I’ve been using Group The Loop a lot recently and it works so well in AUM if you use a mix bus to route what you want to loop into it. But I want to do the same with Midi. I’m hoping ATOM will become part of the workflow. But Stagelight might be more useful for me in the long run if it gets more features added. Time will tell.

• edited April 2019

@ricksteruk said:

Yeah I’ve spent so long in Digital Perfomer and Logic’s timelines it is ingrained!

But I have had a revelation recently with composing in the “session/scene” views in Ableton Live and Gadget. I love being able to jot down ideas for phrases / riffs / beats and they just keep repeating for me to jam/compose over the top without me having to build it all up in the timeline. And then new melodic ideas can be added to a new scene for a “chorus” or so on - and then it is so great to be able to switch between verses and choruses at will without having to build it up in the timeline. I find it really liberating!!! Especially with Ableton where you can later perform your scenes and record them in the timeline if you want to share it as a mp3.

>
    Have you seen that MOTU have added the ableton live style clip scenes mode thing to the latest version of digital performer?

• I personally hate building songs in a linear sequencer which is why I loved ableton when I used it... Launching clips and one shots made me wanna create more and found a lot of freedom in it... With this in AUM I can see it giving a similar capability... Creating parts to a song in the piano roll as well as what I've been doing with spa , FM, etc... Then recording those parts live to a linear sequencer

• @ricksteruk said:

@brambos said:

@klownshed said:

@brambos said:

@klownshed said:

On iOS ATOM will be great for allowing looping of MIDI ideas - but what will interest me most is if there is a way to switch between ATOM patterns like scenes.
    For example I might have 3 instances of Atom - on drums, bass and pad. I’d like to be able to switch them all at the same time from one pattern to another.

I’ve been using Group The Loop a lot recently and it works so well in AUM if you use a mix bus to route what you want to loop into it. But I want to do the same with Midi. I’m hoping ATOM will become part of the workflow. But Stagelight might be more useful for me in the long run if it gets more features added. Time will tell.

Didn't @blueveek say he has a follow on app that will take care of this ? Atom to create the loops...then the follow on app to let you control when those loops are played...

When working in a linear fashion I always felt restricted in that I needed to know what was going to happen first and was not able to be reactive to what was going on....working in a scene fashion helps with this as you can switch scenes and mute parts at your leisure meaning that the song structure is not imposed on you by the timeline.

What I still struggle with today is keeping scenes coherent as they can quickly take a different path when looped in isolation....also capturing a scene switching with part mutes 'performance' onto a timeline for final production. ImageLine's Groove Machine Mobile had/has a great way of doing this...when you record a performance it records all the actions that you take onto a timeline...switching scene is recorded as an event...muting is recorded as an event....you can then replay those events so that you can fine tune the 'performance'

ATOM looks like the next piece of the puzzle..with the follow on app taking it further. I'm hoping that the follow on app will allow you to record a 'performance' in a similar way to GMM but we have very little info on what it will actually be.

• @klownshed said:
    @ricksteruk said:

>
    Have you seen that MOTU have added the ableton live style clip scenes mode thing to the latest version of digital performer?

Aha yes I saw that but I’ve been trying not to look!!!! I stopped using DP a few years ago when I realised the next upgrade price was more expensive than Logic!!

How much is DP. Is it still like £500?? And then you have to buy Mach5 sampler at another £300 to get similar sounds to Logic. Ouch.

• edited April 2019

@AndyPlankton
    When working in a linear fashion I always felt restricted in that I needed to know what was going to happen first and was not able to be reactive to what was going on....working in a scene fashion helps with this as you can switch scenes and mute parts at your leisure meaning that the song structure is not imposed on you by the timeline.

You can do that in any linear sequencer that supports per-part looping and track muting though, with the added benefit of actually being able to arrange your song IF you decide you want to finish it...

Just set the song loop to the longest part, loop all shorter parts, and then mute and unmute tracks while the timeline is running.

The only difference is that you have to mute/unmute with relative precision.

• edited April 2019

@SevenSystems said:

@AndyPlankton

You can do that in any linear sequencer that supports per-part looping and track muting though, with the added benefit of actually being able to arrange your song IF you decide you want to finish it...

Just set the song loop to the longest part, loop all shorter parts, and then mute and unmute tracks while the timeline is running.

True - but you cannot easily alternate between sections to see how they sound in a certain order. When I'm writing now I tend to put Verse part 1 into one scene, Verse part 2 into another scene, Verse part 3 in another, chorus in another.

What does it sound like with 4 bars of Part 1 followed by 2 bars of Part 3 followed by 4 bars of part 2, then a chorus?

or how about 2 bars of part 1, then 4 bars of bar 2, 2 bars of part 1, then chorus, than part 3.

With a timeline you have to tediously copy and paste all the tracks and rearrange them in order just to hear if you like it or not.

With scenes you can just hear it right away! Trigger scenes in any order. Much more creative.

• @ricksteruk said:

@SevenSystems said:

@AndyPlankton

True - but you cannot easily alternate between sections to see how they sound in a certain order. When I'm writing now I tend to put Verse part 1 into one scene, Verse part 2 into another scene, Verse part 3 in another, chorus in another.

What does it sound like with 4 bars of Part 1 followed by 2 bars of Part 3 followed by 4 bars of part 2, then a chorus?

or how about 2 bars of part 1, then 4 bars of bar 2, 2 bars of part 1, then chorus, than part 3.

With a timeline you have to tediously copy and paste all the tracks and rearrange them in order just to hear if you like it or not.

With scenes you can just hear it right away! Trigger scenes in any order. Much more creative.

What if you create a linear section for each scene, and then just keep changing the loop region while the timeline is running? (most linear sequencers have a "Selection to Loop" function)... the only thing missing then would be a "Defer loop region change to next bar" toggle.)

• @ricksteruk said:

@SevenSystems said:

@AndyPlankton

Exactly.....and if we could record, edit and replay those actions of switching the scenes and mutes (instead of the output from the parts) it makes this a really nice way to work as the arrangement is really quick to build up without all the copying

• edited April 2019

@AndyPlankton @ricksteruk sorry I know this topic has probably been discussed to death in several threads, it's just I'm sitting in a Café with my proverbial Latte and thinking about how to improve the world (as I always do) 😉

Interesting to bring it up again though.

• @SevenSystems said:

@ricksteruk said:

@SevenSystems said:

@AndyPlankton

What if you create a linear section for each scene, and then just keep changing the loop region while the timeline is running? (most linear sequencers have a "Selection to Loop" function)... the only thing missing then would be a "Defer loop region change to next bar" toggle.)

Yes that almost does the job! A linear sequencer that could set up multiple loops regions and then assign them to MIDI triggers would be almost as flexible.

The beauty of the scenes approach is you can also then try triggering a different drum loop on the fly as well. So each part can be accessed freely - not just the sections

• @SevenSystems said:
    @AndyPlankton @ricksteruk sorry I know this topic has probably been discussed to death in several threads, it's just I'm sitting in a Café with my proverbial Latte and thinking about how to improve the world (as I always do) 😉

I like having these discussions even if they have been covered before - they can sometimes spark off new ideas :smiley:

• edited April 2019

@ricksteruk said:

@SevenSystems said:

I like having these discussions even if they have been covered before - they can sometimes spark off new ideas :smiley:

Me too :)

Check this vid from around 4:20.....the start is him building the scenes, from 4:20 he is 'playing' the scenes and it shows the timeline...which only has automation...no notes or parts....things like part mute....or switch scene...or any control movements are recorded to the timeline.
    The video maybe doesn't get across how liberating working this way actually is.

• @klownshed said:

how would you use apps like ATOM with AUM to make a full track with different sections and lots of tracks instead of in a traditional linear multitrack sequencer?

It seems to me that I’d get lost quite quickly. How do you lot arrange a track with this modular worklfow? Or is it more for evolving live jams or just to work on smaller sections of a track?

Check out this discussion: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/32009/triggering-multiple-midi-patterns-or-scenes-in-aum-ab3

I believe with the paradigm of clips/scene launching, that was already mentioned here, you can actually build full songs. ATOM afaik does not include patterns feature yet, so it does not help, but I believe Audioveek is aware of this idea as he mentioned he will also start working on a clip launcher kind of app as a complement to ATOM (did I hear "Molecules"? :smile:)

Currently, StepPolyArp is probably the closest - it has patterns and you can control switching them via MIDI so you can trigger one SPA sequence with another SPA and chain them (you can even chain them on 3 levels if you want = sequence a sequence of sequences :smile: ). But honestly, it's pretty hard to not get lost, so we definitely need some better and specialised tool for this.
    There is of course Modstep which has the clip / scenes launcher feature. It is a standalone app, it has some basic Audiobus implementation but it has also it's own quirks. The benefits of AUs are just so huge that you really need to push yourself to use it this way...

From the discussions here and with some of discussions I had privately with the developers, there is a lot of work in progress and I believe in 1-2 years there will be quite robust set of apps (AUs to be specific) that will allow to really build whole songs in e.g. AUM only, and in a "strictly modular" way, very similar to what we know from the hardware world, excluding the tedious cablework and limitation of a single hardware piece (number of AU instances is theoretically unlimited). This will be flexible enough to let you play your song live OR easily sketch a composition, which you can then record (MIDI and/or audio) and adjust the details. This is how electronic music producers in hardware world work like and it's already possible in iOS world, just not that comfortable. But I see a very bright future :smile:

• Groove machine looks cool... But I think it's gone from the app store

• @reasOne said:
    Groove machine looks cool... But I think it's gone from the app store

I remember having the iOS and Windows versions it was pretty cool for its time but got over taken by new apps !

• It was about THE ONLY music app for the original surface tablet

• @Jumpercollins said:

@reasOne said:
    Groove machine looks cool... But I think it's gone from the app store

I remember having the iOS and Windows versions it was pretty cool for its time but got over taken by new apps !

A very cool app...I think it was maybe a testbed for iOS dev for Imageline (previous FLSM was a branded version of Music Studio), they even included its synth in FLSM3...
    afaik nothing that has come along since is able to record your performance like it can/could....

• edited April 2019

@AndyPlankton said:

@ricksteruk said:

@SevenSystems said:

Check this vid from around 4:20.....the start is him building the scenes, from 4:20 he is 'playing' the scenes and it shows the timeline...which only has automation...no notes or parts....things like part mute....or switch scene...or any control movements are recorded to the timeline.

Yeah that looks pretty cool ! IMHO for the proverbial Holy Grail app we need both the scenes / loops page and also some kind of timeline to capture and / or sequence a performance of the scenes and loops. I do think Ableton live is pretty close. That’s why I like Stagelight as it has a similar approach

• edited April 2019

@ricksteruk said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@ricksteruk said:

@SevenSystems said:

Yeah that looks pretty cool ! IMHO we need both the scenes / loops page and also some kind of timeline to capture and / or sequence a performance of the scenes and loops.

That exactly is what is happening in the vid from 4:20....the controls tab records to it's own linear timeline so you can 'jam' and record all of your actions, and then go back and edit them (if you so desire)
    The row of numbers along the bottom is the scenes, you swap simply by selecting one....the swap is recorded as an event in the timeline so you can change their position, copy them, draw them in manually or delete them afterwards.

I think you can do this in garageband with the clips view...but that records the output from the parts and not just the trigger events.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@ricksteruk said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@ricksteruk said:

@SevenSystems said:

Yeah that looks pretty cool ! IMHO we need both the scenes / loops page and also some kind of timeline to capture and / or sequence a performance of the scenes and loops.

That exactly is what is happening in the vid from 4:20....the controls tab records to it's own linear timeline so you can 'jam' and record all of your actions, and then go back and edit them (if you so desire)
    The row of numbers along the bottom is the scenes, you swap simply by selecting one....the swap is recorded as an event in the timeline so you can change their position, copy them, draw them in manually or delete them afterwards.

I think you can do this in garageband with the clips view...but that records the output from the parts and not just the trigger events.

Yeah it's neat! Groove Machine looks pretty close - but is the app out of date and not on the app store now? Can it use MIDI AUs like Step Poly arp? - can I use Ableton Link to connect to other things, Can I trigger the scenes via external MIDI, Can I record audio loops into it as well as MIDI?

Garageband is pretty close as well - one major annoyance is that you can only "play" one synth live at a time - all the others have to be recorded on a track. Some of us sing and play at the same time. Or maybe play more than one instrument at once - eg a bass drone or chord with one hand and a melody on another. And of course no Ableton link - and not sure about AU MIDI -- how is that?

What essentially I need is the mixing front end of AUM combined with a Loop/Session mode that can also "print to timeline" if I want to capture the actual real time performance. Whereby you can hear and play all apps at once by sending MIDI or audio to them (some of us like to try singing!) and build loops in any of them.

At the moment for my needs I don't think there is any alternative to using Ableton Live as it can basically do these things ( I am routing MIDI from Live via IDAM to my iPad to use StepPoly arp and so on)

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    This will be a Game Changer for anyone who already users AUM and will probably bring a lot more users in too....epic stuff from Victor

Well, maybe we can get a ‘Part 2 Video’ of ATOM from Soundtrstroom?

• @AndyPlankton said:

@ricksteruk said:

Didn't @blueveek say he has a follow on app that will take care of this ? Atom to create the loops...then the follow on app to let you control when those loops are played...

Correct. For Atom, clip launching will be possible/ergonomic with a companion AU (yay for modular, right?).

@skrat said:

I believe with the paradigm of clips/scene launching, that was already mentioned here, you can actually build full songs. ATOM afaik does not include patterns feature yet, so it does not help, but I believe Audioveek is aware of this idea as he mentioned he will also start working on a clip launcher kind of app as a complement to ATOM (did I hear "Molecules"? :smile:)

It's been in development since December last year, and we've been nicknaming it "Superlatch" internally. It was actually supposed to be part of MIDI Tools, but didn't make thee cut. Release will follow after Atom | Piano Roll.

• @ricksteruk said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@ricksteruk said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@ricksteruk said:

@SevenSystems said:

Yeah it's neat! Groove Machine looks pretty close - but is the app out of date and not on the app store now? Can it use MIDI AUs like Step Poly arp? - can I use Ableton Link to connect to other things, Can I trigger the scenes via external MIDI, Can I record audio loops into it as well as MIDI?

No longer available afaik, and no to AU..it didn't even have IAA or AB....it is the idea of recording the loop/scene/mute/control movement events to a linear timeline that I am pushing ;)

Garageband is pretty close as well - one major annoyance is that you can only "play" one synth live at a time - all the others have to be recorded on a track. Some of us sing and play at the same time. Or maybe play more than one instrument at once - eg a bass drone or chord with one hand and a melody on another. And of course no Ableton link - and not sure about AU MIDI -- how is that?

dk...have not used garageband for a long time....Gadget is better for the multi instruments as it has configurable MIDI channels....not easy to change instruments while playing though, so it's fine if you have more than one keyboard....or one that can send to different channels based on a key range, or if using a single keyboard and only play one instrument at a time (currently selected one)...
    AU MIDI in AUM makes it even better as there are MIDI AU's to add keysplits etc..to keyboards without them...you can even do velocity layering to bring in other instruments at higher velocities...

What essentially I need is the mixing front end of AUM combined with a Loop/Session mode that can also "print to timeline" if I want to capture the actual real time performance. Whereby you can hear and play all apps at once by sending MIDI or audio to them (some of us like to try singing!) and build loops in any of them.

Same here...audio for live guitar and hardware synths though, I'm not brave enough to sing :D

At the moment for my needs I don't think there is any alternative to using Ableton Live as it can basically do these things ( I am routing MIDI from Live via IDAM to my iPad to use StepPoly arp and so on)

I have never used Ableton Live beyond a quick 10 minute play trying out Gadget Ableton Project export. I'm scared to, in case I like it :D

ok, my head hurts now, thinking about all this again, and my wallet has taken a run for cover (no point really there's nothing in it anyway :D ) !!

Back to dreaming about getting a Novation SL MKIII to take care of scene creation and triggering....then just use Loopy for audio....and hopefully record Program Changes and CC's from SL and MIDI notes for Loopy triggers.
    It sounds so simple like that...but I bet it isn't LOL

• @audiblevideo said:

@Hmtx said:
    Really nice looking app. Thanks for the peek @thesoundtestroom
    Will Atom do cc automation as well?

I believe that is scheduled for and update. He asked and was encouraged to put it out now without all of the ever expanding list of feature requests.

That's right. This will be a free update that includes both classic automation (outputted via MIDI), and P locks.

• @tk32 said:
    I’m very pleased you’re all excited to try Atom, but there’s no need to bump ...or ‘bump a bump’.

I can assure you this is the first place he’ll post when there’s any news.

AFAIK the schedule is still ‘soon’.

The schedule is now 'super duper soon' :D

• @blueveek said:

@tk32 said:
    I’m very pleased you’re all excited to try Atom, but there’s no need to bump ...or ‘bump a bump’.

Damn ! Better get searching down the back of the couch when I get home :D

• @blueveek said:

@tk32 said:

Relative to what?

I mean, when we wait months for things like Drambo to even go into beta--or years for NS2 or BM3... Super duper soon could be weeks really! :wink: