Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

zzzzzz aaarghh etc

I'm having issues with AB sessions opening up with apps zzzzing and asking to be restarted and apps recovering. What I'd like to learn more about is just why the session might open with no problem one time, and then next time one or more apps will show different recovery problems . There doesn't appear to be any consistency.
I save my perfect session (that is stable and does everything I'd ever want) and then I force quit everything, and do the holding down the home key routine etc....re-start the session and....one or other app is either 'recovering' or requires a re start.

My session is like this: All on one channel/stem
system usb input; Korg Gadget, Gallileo Organ

these 3 simultaneous inputs all go through one single chain of inserts: Blamsoft F-6 filter (AU), AUFX Dub (app), Goose EQ 1 (AU) Goose EQ 2 (AU),AUFX Space (app)

that chain goes into GROUP the LOOP looper.

It's amazing it works at all frankly...and it's a great set up for me. And when it loads properly and starts in STEREO it's very reliable and works a treat.

But why, when I close everything down and re-boot, should the session have problems opening properly again?

It's only the apps that have the issues, not AUs.

Sorry for the repetitions.
cheers

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:
    IAA apps are a snakepit
    drop them and use AU instead

Unless you have IAA apps that you love.

• @Max23 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Max23 said:
    IAA apps are a snakepit

the last iaa app I use just became AU and is now in the App Store for review :)

@Max23 what app is it . I hope to see Master Record and the Holderness Caramel bitcrush go AU.

• @Max23 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Max23 said:
    IAA apps are a snakepit

Great for you. Use what you like.

IAA are not inherently bad. Some would probably suffer from being converted to AU. But go with what you like.

There are IAA apps I love and see no reason to give them up. And really don't get why people snark at folks that use IAA apps.

• edited March 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:

@stormbeats said:

@Max23 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Max23 said:
    IAA apps are a snakepit

@Max23 what app is it . I hope to see Master Record and the Holderness Caramel bitcrush go AU.

ipulsaret <3

@Max23 ok cool

• tjatja
    edited March 2019

@Max23 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Max23 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Max23 said:
    IAA apps are a snakepit

Great for you. Use what you like.

IAA are not inherently bad. Some would probably suffer from being converted to AU. But go with what you like.

There are IAA apps I love and see no reason to give them up. And really don't get why people snark at folks that use IAA apps.

IAA isnt reliable thats why apple had to come up with AU on iOS ;)
    and you haven't heard me getting snarky yet ;)

I never ever had problems with IAA Apps.
    Mostly hosting them in AudioBus.

But I had some problems with AU Apps :D

Also, AU have many problems in regards to presets, MIDI and are often just tiny windows.
    But OK, this also depends on the host.
    And in addition all instances of the AU share the same memory and are limited together by Apple.
    This is a concept I hate so much...

• edited March 2019
  • @Max23: you exaggerate the superiority of AU and inherent problems of IAA. Great for you that all AU works for you.

Lots of us use IAA apps that are stable and have AUs that aren't. In many cases turning tha IAA app into an AU would result in a less desirable app. I say this not to convince you, but for the benefit of others that might get the mistaken impression that IAA apps are all unstable.

AU is still developing and getting its kinks out.

• All you need to do is to absolutely remember to foreground and kill all of the IAA apps you use before closing the session.

• @supadom said:
    All you need to do is to absolutely remember to foreground and kill all of the IAA apps you use before closing the session.

Yep!
    This resolves most problems for me.

• edited April 2019
  • @Max23 said:

@supadom said:
    All you need to do is to absolutely remember to foreground and kill all of the IAA apps you use before closing the session.

I still had zombie apps ghosting around, sucking the battery dry, I was fed up with rebooting ...
    I think it came from starting iaa apps outside of ab ...
    AU fixed this completely :)
    no more zombie apps :)
    and no more workarounds :)
    zzzz, argh, brains, etcetera ....

and I was fed up with writing bugreports to everyone about this unreliable IAA crap
    seriously I dont want to waste my time with that crap anymore
    if I have to reboot the device that shit is simply unreliable ;) and I shouldn't be molested with that kind of stuff as a user

Haha. Dude, a lot of anger in there. ;)

It will all depend on whether you can live without some of the IAA apps that have no AU equivalents.

I use Loopy and Samplr and both are IAA. I have 0 issues because I know exactly how they behave. The old adage 'know your tools' comes to mind.

• edited April 2019
  • Crikey!

Thanks Supadom for the suggestion..I'll give it a go.

The reason I use AUFX dub delay and reverb (apps) is because of their extensive midi controlability. Does anyone know any AU delays and reverbs that can do this? Cheers.>

• edited April 2019

@jazubon said:
    Crikey!

The reason I use AUFX dub delay and reverb (apps) is because of their extensive midi controlability. Does anyone know any AU delays and reverbs that can do this? Cheers.>

Yes, IAA apps don’t get much love these days :).

Ideally AU apps should expose most of their midi parameters to the host but some are more limited in this than others. I suggest you go to ‘compatible apps’ tab on the top of this forum and filter via fx and au and see what delays come up. I remember there were one or two with filtering AUFx style.

If not you could do worse than getting Turnado. You should be able to dial in what aufx does and more. It has a very extensive midi implementation.

• @jazubon said:
    Crikey!

Those are great apps. Unless they are giving you trouble, the time spent trying to find replacements might be better spent making music,maybe if you already have them doing what you want. Every reverb and delay has its own character. There are excellent AU reverbs and delays and each has its own character.

• @Max23 said:

@supadom said: Haha. Dude, a lot of anger in there. ;)

yes, because I wasted way to much time with the quirks of IAA instead of making music.
    it sucked up my time as a beta tester and it sucked up the time of developers were we could have spend the time on more interesting things; pushing the envelope instead of trying to fix this old shit ;)

IAA = I Am Angry
    :D

• This is one of those perptual arguments that I just don't understand. Much like the "console wars" I watched with bemusement when I was younger and had time for video games. It always seemed pointless to compare Nintendo and PlayStation, one was for bright, noisy games played by people in the same room, the other for single units of people, who enjoyed killing all the lights, putting on sound isolating headphones and becoming as immersed as possible. I have done my time with both, yet see no need to call one better.

I'm much the same way with iOS apps, there are times it's fun to have 10 synths running in Aum or AB3, whilst routing them through the various amazing sound manipulaters we've been blessed with, and I will often create something I think sounds worthy to capture as audio in AUM or midi in Xequence (or now Photon). However, I have yet to make a finished song this way.

When it comes time to make semi-definitive recording, I go with whatever has the sounds I need. I think apps like Patterning would suffer as an AU. Similarly, synths like Nave and Mitosynth seem much easier to use as stand alones, while others like the Ice gear synths are transformed from beautifully organized instruments with everything contained on a single screen, into a linear scrollfest of confusingly similar parameters when divorced from each other with no schematic.

Maybe I'm still in the ios Honeymoon phase, or spent too many years lugging around bass rigs, with three 40 pound pieces of Ampeg, all the requisite cords and wires, and the bass in it's chunk of molded plastic, but it's still mind blowing to me that I can now walk over to my friends studio with a single shoulder bag. Somehow, between my iPad and iPhone I have over a 100 synths, drum machines and sonic experiments like Mobious Lab and Aphelian, with just as many effects, not to mention over a dozen DAWs and beat makers, and I can stick them all in one bag with room left for a Novation and a pair of headphones.

So sure, AU's are cool, but if I'm recording or practicing, I rarely use more than 2 synths and maybe a drum machine.

I guess I'm still thinking of them as real instruments, and I know not everyone has the same work flow, but it seems silly to write off an app because it lacks AU support, or to suggest that someone is doing it wrong for using IAA. To me, it's all in service to the music, so if something sounds as unique as Shoom or Photophore, it's worth the extra minute or two or set up.
    Just imagine if we had to deal with physical versions of everything😶.

Those crazy racks if keyboards look cool, but I've spent enough time trying to fix a technical problem in front of 200 people to know it must have been a nightmare to deal with when something went wrong at an ELO show.

Anyways, this ended up getting away from me a bit, but that's kind of my original point: we live in the age of miracle machines, that any of these apps sound remotely like what they are supposed to be emulating is incredible, let alone the fact I can afford them. 👌🏽

• Question for Supadom

Forgive my ignorance but what's the best way to :
    'foreground and kill all of the IAA apps you use before closing the session.' ?
    thanks

• That's just to bring up every IAA app you have and swipe up to kill the app, before shutting down the session. :)

I'm having issues with IAA Effectrix this week. Getting Audio buzzing etc, needs restarting frequently.
    AU is the future with plugins and even though they have problems too sometimes, they are being worked out over time, whereas we are stuck with the same IAA bugs from the beginning which cannot be fixed.

This is different to standalone apps though which I still use and are often favourable when needing to plugin to a desktop computer when you don't require multiple apps. But if you are going app to app then AU is designed better for this.

• Thanks for that. I get the killing off of the apps bit...but is 'closing the session' just swiping up Audiobus in the same way? Just got to make sure I do that last?