Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• I'd just get a simple NAS, I don't know if I'm missing something, but having something like a MyBookLive or some other NAS that dishes out various share protocols and media server protocols won't limit you developer specific apps. MBL doesn't have wi-fi built-in though (at least not my model).

• still just pics and video i would assume?

• Could you please give a brief description of how this works funjunkie. It looks promising. Is everything stored on the cloud though?

• edited January 2014

I think the cloudftp (now renamed to iUSBport) mentions cloud as a misnomer. It just attaches to a usb drive and serves that data like a cloud via FTP. Prob why they changed the name.

I've looked at that one, also seagate wireless, Kingston have one too but the requirement for a proprietary app was off putting.

Funjunkie... Yeah interested to know if it works well and what apps you tend to use, cause with that one you don't need a prop. app do you? :)

• It sets up an adhoc wifi network and once connected, you can access files through a web browser. I use GoodReader. It's main purpose was to access media files, but I use it to access samples, loops, etc. I even used it for midi over wifi, and that worked well.

• you can actually access samples and midi files? can you explain a bit further on that one? i thought that was a no go?

• Just add the files on a thumbdrive or ext drive and browse for them in GoodReader. Then you can pull them over and use Open In.

• Is there any one of these drives that will allow me to take the photo's and video that I've taken with my ipad and put them onto an external drive? the all seem to only be one way from drive to ipad.

• I haven't tried to upload from the iPad. If I get a chance, I'll take a look and let you know.

• That would be great funjunkie! I could clear off 20 gig of photos and vids.

• Uploads work too. Looks like the original device is no longer carried by the distributor. They have an upgraded device, plus others, now....

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/

• edited January 2014

Uploading files from GoodReader (and other apps that can connect to your local shared drives) to an external drive works, both to my MBL (via AFP, FTP, SMB etc), and a regular windows PC SMB share I have setup. So just send those photos or videos over to something like GoodReader and upload to your computer or NAS (no need to buy any of these iPhone/iPad drives).

• i didnt know goodreader could do that. thanks for the info!

• Thanks funjunkie! that is awesome news. looks like the iusbport2 is in my future..

• GoodReader scans your local wifi network and lists all drives, computers and protocols it can find, and you can just pin/bookmark the ones you need so you won't have to scan every time you open the app.

• The big point to the drives @ChrisG is that they are portable. You don't need to have access to a wifi network to access your files.

• No problem @Bootsy...just doing my part to help people spend their money! ;-)

• It's a good thing too, otherwise my money would just start piling up with nowhere to go..
    most of the reviews I find are on the older models, seems the company doesn't offer support? Have you had any trouble with yours?

• No...no troubles. I also found they have a companion app...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iusbport/id581463199?mt=8

Their support page is a little tricky to find, but I finally found it...

https://hypershop.zendesk.com/entries/24533357-iUSBport-CloudFTP-Firmware-V30-Latest-

I could send you my account # if you do find that your running out of things to buy.

• edited January 2014

@funjunkie27 said:

The big point to the drives @ChrisG is that they are portable. You don't need to have access to a wifi network to access your files.

Thanks. Yea I got that, and can see how that would be useful if you're constantly portable and on the move with your devices. I'd probably just use my iPhone as a portable drive for the iPad outside my home if I would need one, if that's possible (I've only tried transfers via Bluetooth, but you can pair'em via the phones wifi antenna so who knows..).

The MBL also works as personal "cloud", so you can access it from anywhere with or without wifi. The transfers speed would obviously only be as fast as your connection to it. But just pointing out that there are (lots) of ways to move files to and from an iDevice, without using any proprietary things.