Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auria Pro, Tips and Tricks

edited March 2019 in Knowledge Base

There's a lot of new stuff so I thought it might be good to have a dedicated thread for some of the new workflows:

1) Be aware of your buffer size

Previously the buffer size was set to 4096 when mixing, which allowed for many plugins to run. With the addition of MIDI tracks the default buffer size has been reduced to 512 to allow for acceptable MIDI playback, so if you are using MIDI tracks you won't be able to run as many plugins as before.

However if you separate the recording phase from the mixing phase, and freeze the MIDI to audio (you can use the new "Bounce Track in Place" option in the Process menu) you can then increase the buffer size at the mix stage.

2) You can chain AUX effects with busses

If you have an empty track you can set it's input from any of the AUX channels (there are 6 of them now), and any effects you add on that track can be dialed in to all the other tracks via the AUX send.

The great thing about this is that you can for example EQ you reverb send separately from the main signal. If your reverb is too bright for example, simply put an EQ after it in the chain.

Just be aware of one potential catch: if you put an effect on the AUX send itself, that will be blended with any busses in parallel - so if you want the chain to be in series leave the AUX slot on the master strip empty, and use a channel with the AUX as an input.
_

Comments

• edited March 2019

I’m assuming this refers to the Auria Pro? These sorts of issues are similar to those of other DAW type apps too with their own peculiar ways and limitations for handling them.

• TIP: Auria Pro’s manual is a must-read if you use the app.

Auria Pro has an undeserved reputation for being difficult to use and having limited MIDI functionality. Much of this reputation is the result of it having a few quirky but easily learnable conventions. The manual takes about 20-30 minutes to read and provides a clear explanation of these conventions. That is time that will repay one immensely. As it has very powerful MIDI and audio editing capabilities not shared by other iOS DAWs.

• @espiegel123 ... this is exactly the thing!

• I recently limited myself to having just this one DAW on my iPad to finally learn it properly and starting to see how many hidden features it has and I’m enjoying the workflow which is key for me. After recently switching to Logic Pro X on my MBP from Ableton I can see the similarities using Auria Pro.

My main dislike is trawling through the lists of AU and IAA apps I have to find the one I want to use. I wish iOS would let us add a favourites list at least in any DAW now there are that many music apps out there.

Apart from that I’m enjoying the Auria experience.

• Hey, I did not post this thread @Michael how the heck did this happen. I’m a Cubasis guy!

• @LinearLineman said:
    Hey, I did not post this thread @Michael how the heck did this happen. I’m a Cubasis guy!

I seem to remember this has happened before to you – does that ring a bell for you too? I’m wondering perhaps if some weird database mishap has misallocated those messages to your account

• Yes, @Michael, I remember it did happen once before but my avatar was not in the OP as it is here. No big deal, just of interest.

• Hi guys.

I had a strange thing happening to me yesterday.
    I was making sound and music to a video I made for educational purposes and i had following problem.

I had 2 midi tracks with sunrizer and a black hole Revert. All instances AUv3

Apart from that there was a EG-pulse track, a vintage piano track and 5 audio-tracks and ofcourse the video viewer

Both sunrizer instances used the same factory preset ( underwater organ )
    I used 2 different instances because they had to be mixed slightly different

Track 1 was “sunrizer low” and track 2 was “sunrizer lo”.

When i mixed dow the audio i got a lot if crackeling on sunrizer lo and ONLY on “sunrizer lo” and the crackeling was ONLY heard int the mixdown.

Nothing was gained to high. All good green values in the meters.

I did severel mixdowns and tried all the different file formats and bitrates but still the same.

Then i tried to change the preset of “sunrizer lo” and that solved the problem. I tried different presets ( some were louder than underwater organ ) The only change I made In the channel strip was ajusting the the volume.

I have now finished and delivered the project so the train has left ( as we say in denmark ) but i can’t stop wondering what was going on.

Any surgestions ?