Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for a real time Midi Pattern/clip transposition app???

hello,

does anyone know of any app that can do this?

you can see he made a pattern/clip and then used external midi to shift it up and down in real time!!

does Fugue machine do this??? (the dream!) or thesys?? photon? does anyone know?

Comments

• wimwim
    edited March 2019
  • edited March 2019

@RubenDari said:
    hello,

does anyone know of any app that can do this?

you can see he made a pattern/clip and then used external midi to shift it up and down in real time!!

does Fugue machine do this??? (the dream!) or thesys?? photon? does anyone know?

SB thesys definitely can.
    Genome MIDI can transpose patterns on different tracks individually, and each pattern can have its own scale, but you can't control the transposition by MIDI (although you could map one pattern to each key and transpose this way).
    Of course, with MidiFire or Lemur you could program anything like that :)

• Bram does for sure and the lot of them can work like this

Also ScaleBud
    You have to run your midi THRU the AU apps

• Modstep maybe?

• transposing fugue machine with external midi is what I really wanted thanks! , is this you Mitch? ? if it is, you do great work my friend!

• thanks for the suggestions everyone. brams stuff is good, but it doesn't do exactly what im looking for, (its more of an arp) I wanted a transposable piano roll, .... really want something visual, AND playable ...

• @RubenDari Yes its me. I was here before I was on youtube. I should have created an audio dabbler account here but oh well.

• @gmslayton said:
    @RubenDari Yes its me. I was here before I was on youtube. I should have created an audio dabbler account here but oh well.

I think you are supercool. the videos you make, genius.

• @gmslayton said:
    @RubenDari Yes its me. I was here before I was on youtube. I should have created an audio dabbler account here but oh well.

Branding, branding, branding!

• @RubenDari thanks for the kind words.

@lukesleepwalker yea, I know. I wonder if Michael can change my name on here.

• @RubenDari said:
    thanks for the suggestions everyone. brams stuff is good, but it doesn't do exactly what im looking for, (its more of an arp) I wanted a transposable piano roll, .... really want something visual, AND playable ...

What about Rozeta Scales isn’t what you’re looking for? How is it anything like an arp?

• @wim said:

@RubenDari said:
    thanks for the suggestions everyone. brams stuff is good, but it doesn't do exactly what im looking for, (its more of an arp) I wanted a transposable piano roll, .... really want something visual, AND playable ...

What about Rozeta Scales isn’t what you’re looking for? How is it anything like an arp?

To my knowledge scales is a midi effect that forces input to a scale

What I’m looking for is something like auxy or fugue machine ... a piano roll BUT i want to be able to program a sequence and then be able to “play” the sequence with different notes

Like how composers manipulate motifs

Take a bunch of notes and move them around but still keeping their musical relationships...

Really all I want is fugue machine to be able to do it

But Mitch has it figured out ! Just wish there was an app that did it simply

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

@RubenDari said:

@wim said:

@RubenDari said:

Nope. It can do that, but you can also set it to Chromatic, then use either the input or output transpose to transpose up and down transparently. The transpose controls are midi controllable.

• @RubenDari said:

What I’m looking for is something like auxy or fugue machine ... a piano roll BUT i want to be able to program a sequence and then be able to “play” the sequence with different notes

At least Rozeta (Cells & Bassline) can do this and so can StepPolyArp Unit.
    Not 100% on if Photon can do this yet...

• @wim is the transpose controls are midi controllable but with a cc or note but it doesn’t seem to correspond with being able to transpose via keyboard like their other apps.

• @wim said:

@RubenDari said:

@wim said:

@RubenDari said:

Nope. It can do that, but you can also set it to Chromatic, then use either the input or output transpose to transpose up and down transparently. The transpose controls are midi controllable.

However ... trying it out, control needs a it of thought. The controls are designed to respond to midi CC values. So, controlling by notes needs something else to translate notes to CC values. StreamByter or mfxConvert or mfxStrip can do this, but now it’s getting to be a lot of moving parts.

Still, I’m curious, so gonna work on this a bit.

• @gmslayton said:
    @wim is the transpose controls are midi controllable but with a cc or note but it doesn’t seem to correspond with being able to transpose via keyboard like their other apps.

Yeh, you beat me to it. Can be done with something to translate notes to CC though.

• WHOA! close, Ideally something what can transpose with external midi notes would be so elegant and simple, but I didn't know it can do that! thanks .....

I am really glad I asked this question

maybe @brambos can add it? (controlling transpose values from external notes???) seems like he is midi coding wizard.

@gmslayton said:
    @wim is the transpose controls are midi controllable but with a cc or note but it doesn’t seem to correspond with being able to transpose via keyboard like their other apps.

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

Do you have StreamByter? I may write a script that can do the note to cc conversion. It’s a bit of a PITA to do though. It just depends on how much this ends up bugging me that it can’t be done.

Altering Scaler to use notes rather than CC’s would be more complicated than it seems. Its purpose is to accept notes and transpose them. So, there has to be a way to identify which notes are for control and which are for transposing. The only way I can think of is by midi channel, but Scaler doesn’t do any channel filtering now, so that would need to be added.

A list of control values corresponding to transpose settings from @brambos would be helpful, though.

• yeah that sounds like a lot of work... I dont wanna ask you to do it unless you plan on using it yourself..... but I really appreciate the thought, im going to get streambyter tonight... I was really hoping for something that didnt need workarounds. Recently Ive spent more time tinkering with tech trying to get to to do things it wasn't intended to do instead of writing music.. so ive been limiting myself to using tools that work really simply, so I can focus on the song writing and not engineering.... you know?

@wim said:
    Do you have StreamByter? I may write a script that can do the note to cc conversion. It’s a bit of a PITA to do though. It just depends on how much this ends up bugging me that it can’t be done.

Altering Scaler to use notes rather than CC’s would be more complicated than it seems. Its purpose is to accept notes and transpose them. So, there has to be a way to identify which notes are for control and which are for transposing. The only way I can think of is by midi channel, but Scaler doesn’t do any channel filtering now, so that would need to be added.

A list of control values corresponding to transpose settings from @brambos would be helpful, though.

• My problem is whether I will use something or not, I can’t resist the challenge. I did make a script that does the job, but hasn’t been checked carefully for things that could go wrong. But really, it seems like more trouble than it’s worth to wire everything together.

It occurred to me that it would be more elegant just to do it all in a script. I have a vague idea how I’d do it, but not sure when I’ll find the time.

• I might be missing something important but how is this not a job for StepPolyArp Unit?

• that would do it right?

the left side, of step poly, .... +0 +1 +2. etc, that never felt intuitive to me, ...but maybe I just need to wrap my head around it, ... because it could totally do what im asking... I wanted a piano roll, but I bet if I thought a bit more about how the left side works, I could configure it to do it,

you are right though, thanks

@lukesleepwalker said:
    I might be missing something important but how is this not a job for StepPolyArp Unit?

• @RubenDari said:
    that would do it right?

the left side, of step poly, .... +0 +1 +2. etc, that never felt intuitive to me, ...but maybe I just need to wrap my head around it, ... because it could totally do what im asking... I wanted a piano roll, but I bet if I thought a bit more about how the left side works, I could configure it to do it,

@lukesleepwalker said:
    I might be missing something important but how is this not a job for StepPolyArp Unit?

You know that by long pressing the left side you can turn the intervals into specific notes, right?

• Thesys AU parameter automation might be worth looking into.

• @RubenDari said:

Like how composers manipulate motifs

Take a bunch of notes and move them around but still keeping their musical relationships...

Really all I want is fugue machine to be able to do it

But Mitch has it figured out ! Just wish there was an app that did it simply

Unfortunately, Fugue Machine only responds to Program Change messages to switch patterns, no notes or CCs to the controls.

Setting up patterns and triggering remotely can be fun, but it's probably not quite what you're after.

Of course, since @Alexandernaut just updated FM, there's always a chance this could change (pretty please!)

Transposing the notes sent out of FM with a scale quantizer is another approach, but the proper tool doesn't quite exist ( @midiSequencer is working on one; perhaps he can be swayed to add remote control based on note inputs!)

Of the currently existing apps, I would agree that StepPolyArp is probably your best bet.

• I see that! thanks!

steppolyarp is the answer, (till fugue machine gets updated) ...

@lukesleepwalker said:

@RubenDari said:
    that would do it right?

@lukesleepwalker said:

You know that by long pressing the left side you can turn the intervals into specific notes, right?

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

[EDIT]
    I wrote the script below, but then learned that @gmslayton had already posted a script from the actual developer of Streambyter, plus a great video showing how to use it. The script below works, but I advise using the one Mitch posted. See https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/612618#Comment_612618 for details!

There is one difference. My script transposes all channels except the one used to send transpose commands. The one on the Audio Dabbler site only transposes a single channel.

Oh well ... I at least I had fun writing it. ;)

Well, I couldn’t stop myself. Here’s a Streambyter script that can be placed after something like fugue machine to transpose based on notes sent to it (on a different channel). It does a pure chromatic shift, not a scale based transpose.

It defaults to using notes on channel 16 as the control channel and transposes up or down based on semitones away from a center note. The default center note is 60, which is C4 in some hosts, though this varies from host to host. It can be changed if you know the right hex value for the note you want to center around. It will transpose notes on any channel, other than the control channel, that pass through it.

So, for example, in AUM you could have Fugue Machine sending to StreamByter, and StreamByter sending to a synth. Then you could set the keyboard in AUM to channel 16 and send a C3. This would cause Streambyter to shift everything coming from Fugue Machine down 12 semitones. Playing a D4 would shift it up 2 semitones. C4 would set it back to the original pitch.

It has only been lightly tested. I may need to make changes and will do so in this post if needed.

# Script to transpose notes up or down based on semitone 
    # distance from a given note.
    # M.Ware v0.1 2019-03-28

# Set I0 to the channel used for transpose control
    # Ch/Hex: 1=00  2=01  3=02  4=03  5=04  6=05  7=06  8=07
    #         9=08 10=09 11=0A 12=0B 13=0C 14=0D 15=0E 16=0F

# You can change the center note from the default below in I1

IF LOAD
      ASS I0 = 0F #send on channel 16 for the transpose notes
      ASS I1 = 3C #note 60 (usually C4 depending on host) is the center note
      ASS J0 = 00 #no transpose happens until a transpose note is received
    END IF

# blanket convert all note on+vel 0 to off
    9X XX 00 = 8X

# Set transpose amount J01 in semitones
    # J00 = 00 for no transpose, 01 for down, 02 for up 
    IF MC == I0
      IF MT == 90
        IF M01 == 3C
          ASS J00 = 00
          ASS J01 = 00
          SET LB0 SN/A
        END IF
        IF M01 < 3C
          ASS J00 = 01
          MAT J01 = 3C - M01
          SET LB0 SDN
        END IF
        IF M01 > 3C
          ASS J00 = 02
          MAT J01 = M01 - 3C
          SET LB0 SUP
        END IF
        SET LB1 J01 +D
      END IF
    END IF

# Trap the note into K0 if not on the transposing channel.
    # Then add or subtract notes based on the captured transpose note.

IF MC != I0 #operate on all channels except the transpose channel
      IF MT >= 80
        IF MT <= 90
          ASS K00 = M00 M01 M02
          SET LB0 M01 +N
          SET LB1 S—
          IF J00 == 01
            MAT K01 = K01 - J01
          END IF
          IF J00 == 02
            MAT K01 = K01 + J01
          END IF
        END IF
        # Only play transposed notes in range 0-127
        # If outside the range they are ignored.
        IF K01 >= 00
          IF K01 <= 7F
            SND K00 K01 K02
            SET LB1 K01 +N
          END IF
        END IF
      END IF 
    END IF

# block the regular incoming notes since we already sent them
    NX = XX +B

• @wim You are a madman! Very cool script that I can use in multiple directions. Thanks for sharing!