Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A Gadget Mystery Solved / Gadget Patches Into a DAW

Solved for me at any rate....My friend @wim explained something to me I would like to share. Maybe this has confused you as well. How to get Gadget to play it’s patches in prerecorded MIDI tracks in Cubasis and other DAWs, Here is what he said....

“Gadget sounds can be routed to read preexisting Midi, but not on a midi track. It has to be added as an Audio track. Then under routing you change the input to Inter-App Audio > Gadget. Finally you can point a midi track to Gadget, and Gadget’s audio will play through the audio track.

Confusing, I know. The explanation lies with the difference between an IAA “Instrument” and an IAA “Generator”. Apps can be either or both depending on how the developer declares them. An Instrument is generally thought of as something that reacts to midi input only, and doesn’t have a sequencer of its own. A Generator is capable of producing sound on it’s own without midi input. Gadget is really both, but Korg has only set it up as a generator. Cubasis, Auria, and some others handle Generators differently than Instruments. Typically they must be set up on an audio track. In Auria, they are set up on an audio track as an FX(!).

Apple, Steinberg, etc. could have handled this more simply than they have. But there you have it.

I took the trouble to explain this because it trips just about everyone up. It’s a mind flogging concept, but once you get it, will reduce the confusion when you don’t see some apps where you think they should be.

And here are his steps to success!

“To do it with Gadget hosted in Cubasis:

1/ In Cubasis, add an audio, not midi track.

2/Under Routing, change Input to Inter-App Audio > Gadget

3/Under Routing, set the midi output of the recorded track to Gadget, and select a midi channel

4/In Gadget’s settings, set Midi Input to Advanced.

5/In Gadget, set the midi input to Gadget, and the matching midi channel

6/Be sure the audio track in step 1 is armed.

7/Gadget’s audio output will be recorded onto the Audio track. Gadget only has one output, so you will need to create other audio tracks and move the recorded audio to them to record different gadgets.”

Comments

• Pretty good, but Step 3 should make it clear that you’re talking about the midi track on which you have the recorded notes, not the Audio track.

• edited March 2019

Edited @wim, thanks! @audiblevideo, your thought for an information repository is a great one. It has been mentioned in the past and folks have tried, but it is a lot of work. @Michael said he would consider a wiki like category for the forum. Perhaps he would consider this again. I personally think it would be a terrific resource, Even if it just began at zero info and people started contributing. That would not require much work at all.

• A wiki would be great--wiki threads not as much.