Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

see “Gadget Mystery Solved” thread, please

I redownloaded Gadget2 in the hopes I might get it to play a prerecorded midi track in Cubasis. I can get the Cubasis midi track to play in Gadget bu5 not vice versa. I want to take advsntag3 if the Gadget sounds as plug ins to Cubasis but not getting there, unfortunately. Is this possible? Thanks!

Comments

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

So, was Gadget hosted inside Cubasis, or running standalone?

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

To do it with Gadget hosted in Cubasis:

1. In Cubasis, add an audio, not midi track.
    2. Under Routing, change Input to Inter-App Audio > Gadget
    3. In Cubasis, add a midi track.
    4. Under Routing, set the midi output to Gadget, and select a midi channel
    5. In Gadget’s settings, set Midi Input to Advanced.
    6. In Gadget, set the midi input to Gadget, and the matching midi channel
    7. Be sure the audio track in step 1 is armed.

Gadget’s audio output will be recorded onto the Audio track. Gadget only has one output, so you will need to create other audio tracks and move the recorded audio to them to record different gadgets.

• Hmmm... @wim , I think I am not understanding. It seems like your clear (as always) instructions tell me how to create a midi gadget track. But I am looking to use Gadget’s sounds on previously recorded Cubasis midi tracks, like I will plug in bass or strings to play my improvised piano track. Am I missing something?

• @LinearLineman said:
    Hmmm... @wim , I think I am not understanding. It seems like your clear (as always) instructions tell me how to create a midi gadget track. But I am looking to use Gadget’s sounds on previously recorded Cubasis midi tracks, like I will plug in bass or strings to play my improvised piano track. Am I missing something?

In Cubasis, choose Gadget as the destination for your MIDI track. In Gadget, you need to make sure you have set up the MIDI preferences and you may also need to make sure that Background Audio is turned on.

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

@LinearLineman said:
    Hmmm... @wim , I think I am not understanding. It seems like your clear (as always) instructions tell me how to create a midi gadget track. But I am looking to use Gadget’s sounds on previously recorded Cubasis midi tracks, like I will plug in bass or strings to play my improvised piano track. Am I missing something?

OK, if you already have a track and you just want to use that to play Gadget and get the audio into Cubasis, then simply skip step number 3. Instead, set the midi output to Gadget on the previously recorded Cubasis midi track (s).

• edited March 2019

Wow, @wim and @espiegel123, this is so interesting! Ok, so it is not as I expected at all. The prerecorded midi track I am using does not register volume at all. However, the new Gadget audio track plays that midi track with the Gadget patch, and if I record, it will record an audio track of the midi track! How far out is that?!

Here is my latest glitch, however. First I used a Kaypro string track from the Glasgow gadget. It worked fine. Then I tried a different bell patch from Glasgow as well and it played. However the string track was still there! The string sound is not coming from any other gadget, I checked. I don’t think there is a layering capability in Glasgow. So, why are the strings sounding and how do I delete them?

I am confident this can be figured out and delighted I will be able to use the gadgets as part of my armamentarium! When I first bought Gadget last March I was really clueless. When I discovered Cubasis I just thought Gadget and Module were useless to me as so much of what I do is about utilizing other instruments on my piano midi bass and midi treble tracks.

Now after a year it all makes a lot more sense when I explore it, and I can see why folks love it. There is a certain ease and simplicity I couldn’t suss before. I don’t think I will record in it, and still might find that part confusing, but I look forward to accessing the sounds (including Module’s Orchestral Dreams and American D piano) and effects. Thanks to you both for helping me out! I hope you can explain the layering I am getting,.

Korg, as they say, AUv3 and you are perfect!

• @LinearLineman said:
    Wow, @wim and @espiegel123, this is so interesting! Ok, so it is not as I expected at all. The prerecorded midi track I am using does not register volume at all. However, the new Gadget audio track plays that midi track with the Gadget patch, and if I record, it will record an audio track of the midi track! How far out is that?!

Here is my latest glitch, however. First I used a Kaypro string track from the Glasgow gadget. It worked fine. Then I tried a different bell patch from Glasgow as well and it played. However the string track was still there! The string sound is not coming from any other gadget, I checked. I don’t think there is a layering capability in Glasgow. So, why are the strings sounding and how do I delete them?

I am confident this can be figured out and delighted I will be able to use the gadgets as part of my armamentarium! When I first bought Gadget last March I was really clueless. When I discovered Cubasis I just thought Gadget and Module were useless to me as so much of what I do is about utilizing other instruments on my piano midi bass and midi treble tracks.

Now after a year it all makes a lot more sense when I explore it, and I can see why folks love it. There is a certain ease and simplicity I couldn’t suss before. I don’t think I will record in it, and still might find that part confusing, but I look forward to accessing the sounds (including Module’s Orchestral Dreams and American D piano) and effects. Thanks to you both for helping me out! I hope you can explain the layering I am getting,.

Korg, as they say, AUv3 and you are perfect!

You probably have a recorded audio clip from Glasgow on the audio track. You need to either move that audio clip to someplace else in the timeline, or delete it. I would create a new, empty audio track, mute it, then drag the audio from the “Gadget” audio track onto it.

• That might be it @wim but I didn’t record anything . I will just delete and start over

• @LinearLineman : do you only have one Glasgow loaded in Gadget? If you have more than one, they might be set to listen to the same MIDI channel.

It is normal that you hear Gadget on an audio track. You are routing MIDI notes out of Cubasis to Gadget. Gadget’s audio is then captured on an audio track.

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

@LinearLineman said:
    That might be it @wim but I didn’t record anything . I will just delete and start over

By “not record” do you actually mean that you didn’t play anything on your keyboard, and record the midi? It really sounds to me like you pressed “record” and Cubasis recorded an audio clip in the Gadget audio track. If there is no audio waveform clip in the audio channel, then my guess is wrong, and some screenshots might be needed to get to the bottom cause of the layered sound.

• @wim said:

@LinearLineman said:
    That might be it @wim but I didn’t record anything . I will just delete and start over

By “not record” do you actually mean that you didn’t play anything on your keyboard, and record the midi? It really sounds to me like you pressed “record” and Cubasis recorded audio an audio clip in the Gadget audio track. If there is no audio waveform clip in the audio channel, then my guess is wrong, and some screenshots might be needed to get to the bottom of the layered sound.

When in doubt, mute tracks in Cubasis and find out which track is responsible.

• Thanks @espiegel123. I will be back if I cannot figure this out. @wim, I posted a thread on the subject. Please review as I made a couple of alterations. I will correct right away!

• @wim, @espiegel123, figured out. I had Module open and running a string patch. All good now! So great. Thanks.