Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Any iOS sampler allow for ‘continuous’ MIDI control?

What I mean by this is that you’d send (for example) an ‘on’ value of 12 to a specified CC (or perhaps note velocity) and it’d trigger a sample from (roughly) 10% of the way though it’s duration, input 64 to play at 50% etc and so forth?

Any sampler capable of this? Doesn’t need any fancy features beyond this.

Cheers!
Oscar

Comments

• Do you mean controlling sample start offset with CC ? I think i readed somewhere that Nanostudio 2 Obsidian sampler is capable of doing that... try ask on Nanostudio forums...

• ModStep obviously isn't described as a sampler but it's a got a damn fine drum sampler within it that allows full modulation of its amplifier envelopes that will do exactly as you wish (not triggered by velocity, but you can modulate the envelope to the same effect).

Most of the decent hosts - Cubasis, BM3, NS2 and ModStep should be able to achieve something similar but ModStep is by far the cheapest at $10, and makes it very easy to load your own samples. As well as functioning as a host, you could view it in a very similar manner to a groove-box. It's definitely built around a DJ mindset and metaphor much like Ableton (which inspire its clip launch capabilities).

One final benefit with ModStep is that you can use it to steam your audio into your desktop/laptop DAW (if that's of interest) by installing the StudioMux server onto your desktop/laptop (no extra cost, simply download and install the server).

• @jonmoore said:
    ModStep obviously isn't described as a sampler but it's a got a damn fine drum sampler within it that allows full modulation of its amplifier envelopes that will do exactly as you wish (not triggered by velocity, but you can modulate the envelope to the same effect).

Most of the decent hosts - Cubasis, BM3, NS2 and ModStep should be able to achieve something similar but ModStep is by far the cheapest at $10, and makes it very easy to load your own samples. As well as functioning as a host, you could view it in a very similar manner to a groove-box. It's definitely built around a DJ mindset and metaphor much like Ableton (which inspire its clip launch capabilities).

One final benefit with ModStep is that you can use it to steam your audio into your desktop/laptop DAW (if that's of interest) by installing the StudioMux server onto your desktop/laptop (no extra cost, simply download and install the server).

Love modstep and it's built in instruments -- an old and trusted friend! Off the cuff, do you know if the sample start position can be modulated? In technical terms, that's what I'm looking for. I know that it's not possible in BM3 (I already run 5-6 instruments from BM3's AMAZING sampler in this live rig).

• In NS2's 'Obsidian' it's possible to map one of the macro-knobs to control the start of the sample and the macro-knob in turn can be mapped to a midi-cc or velocity.

Same goes for 'Vancouver' (The IAP Sampler in Gadget).

Being able to tweak the sample-start was one of my first requests during early days of BM3 beta but it's still not implemented and I'm slowly starting to loose my patience...

• @Samu said:
    In NS2's 'Obsidian' it's possible to map one of the macro-knobs to control the start of the sample and the macro-knob in turn can be mapped to a midi-cc or velocity.

Same goes for 'Vancouver' (The IAP Sampler in Gadget).

Being able to tweak the sample-start was one of my first requests during early days of BM3 beta but it's still not implemented and I'm slowly starting to loose my patience...

Yea, that's pretty heart breaking as I'm already running BM3 as my main host in my rig for this upcoming gig (https://algomech.com/2019/events/mesh/) so I can't really run a second DAW (NS2 or Gadget -- both of which I can't remotely afford right now anyway). Was hoping that a 'single purpose app' or other might be able to do it. What about Elastic drums? I remember seeing that modulatable sample start was introduced to that at some point? And yeah -- sample start modulation seems like an obvious omission for BM3. Here's hoping!

• @OscarSouth said:
    And yeah -- sample start modulation seems like an obvious omission for BM3. Here's hoping!

One of the developers is somewhat active over at the BM3 forums but I've so far gotten no reply to the e-mails I've sent.
    Maybe they are super busy or the message I sent ended up in the spam folder.

I'll try to reach out again when I feel 'inspired'...
    ...kinda miss the beta-testing as it kept me on the creative edge to come up with new ideas as well...

Yes, Elastic Drums can modulate and change the sample start and loop parameters on the fly as well :)
    If I recall correctly the sampler was some kind of IAP. I could be wrong here...

• @OscarSouth said:
    Off the cuff, do you know if the sample start position can be modulated?

As far as I recall, all parameters on the sample screen can have its motion recorded as you live tweak them, but I don´t think you can send a modulation to control sample start.

• Yes, you can assign a CC to sample start (the knob 'offset') by midi learn (activated in general settings).

• edited March 2019

@OscarSouth said:

Love modstep and it's built in instruments -- an old and trusted friend! Off the cuff, do you know if the sample start position can be modulated? In technical terms, that's what I'm looking for.

No, AFAIK it's only the envelope that's modulatable.

Not even Patterning 2 allows modulation of the sample start. Looks like Vancouver is the cheapest option if you have Gadget.

If not it might be worth asking in the AudioLayer threat if sample start is modulatable. It's one of the few VirSyn apps I don't own, (seeing as it's currently ten bucks cheaper I might round out the set!). VirSyn are usually really good at ensuring all the key parameters are modulatable; it all depends whether the sample start parameter is seen as a key modulation option by the AudioLayer designer!

Weirdly, other than Samplr, ReSlice and a few granular apps I don't really use samples at all on iOS.

Edit:
    Hadn't thought to attempt it via CC MIDI learn. That kind of parameter is usually covered by 'host automation'.

• edited March 2019

• Ignore the double post. I keep on clicking 'Quote' rather than edit this weeked.

Sleep, glorious sleep, that might shove the brain cells back into gear.

• edited March 2019

• Doesn’t ReSlice do exactly this?

• edited March 2019

@DEADCIRCUITGOD said:
    Doesn’t ReSlice do exactly this? If it has to be cc values not note values remap w Midiflow.

Lol I have no idea what I did, obviously not click edit

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

@DEADCIRCUITGOD said:
    Doesn’t ReSlice do exactly this?

Nope. You can slice a sample up and play each slice, but you can’t automate where the slices begin and end.

• @jonmoore said:
    If not it might be worth asking in the AudioLayer threat if sample start is modulatable. It's one of the few VirSyn apps I don't own, (seeing as it's currently ten bucks cheaper I might round out the set!).

Unfortunately it's not. AudioLayer is rather weak in the modulation department (it does not even support classic ModWheel pitch modulation), it just does one thing well: Play and stream large sample sets directly from flash disk.

VirSyn are usually really good at ensuring all the key parameters are modulatable

Not in AudioLayer. This has been asked for a number of times, without response (at least not one that I know of).

• @OscarSouth said:

e-l-s-a allows you to midi cc start and end of a sample (drum loop, single cycle, etc.). Auv3. iaa. underpriced for it's capabilities.

• @frond said:

@OscarSouth said:

e-l-s-a allows you to midi cc start and end of a sample (drum loop, single cycle, etc.). Auv3. iaa. underpriced for it's capabilities.

e-l-s-a looks very interesting -- trying to figure out from what info is available whether that'll do the job before I purchase it (it is cheap but I also just moved back to the UK from Ireland, so am pretty broke right now!)

• Update here:

You can somewhat do what I'm talking about (in it's own 'style') with Quanta, by modulating the 'length' parameter.

• In fact this is amazing -- can modulate position with velocity and pitch with key. Massive sculpting possibilities! Would be nice for longer sample playback but it's not a slicer and it's own uniqueness is pretty nifty and delivers more than I expected in most areas. Picked this thing up for £2 in the last sale!

• @OscarSouth said:
    Update here:

You can somewhat do what I'm talking about (in it's own 'style') with Quanta, by modulating the 'length' parameter.

Great idea, I guess we just have to "go finger our stuff" a lot more ;)

• @wim said:

@DEADCIRCUITGOD said:
    Doesn’t ReSlice do exactly this?

Nope. You can slice a sample up and play each slice, but you can’t automate where the slices begin and end.

Hmm I did something really similar, thought with reslice but maybe tardigrain? I know you can move the start/stop area via midi cc, so couldn’t you record automation in Cubasis or any other app that records cc automation and therefore automate tardigrain sample start/end points and obviously it would save automation track.
    Or maybe I’m not getting what op trying to do, but that should work if I’m understanding correctly.

• I dunno. I don’t have Tardigrain.
    (Makes note to self to avoid this thread so as not to be tempted to buy it.)

• Someone recently mentioned that Obsidian (NS2's synth) has MIDI controllable sample start.

• edited March 2019

@OscarSouth said:
    Yea, that's pretty heart breaking as I'm already running BM3 as my main host in my rig for this upcoming gig (https://algomech.com/2019/events/mesh/) so I can't really run a second DAW (NS2 or Gadget -- both of which I can't remotely afford right now anyway).

Money is one thing but I wouldn't worry about system resources with regard to NS2/Obsidian. Lots of people run it with BM3. You could map a CC or velocity (or even keyboard position) to sample start with Obsidian.

Not sure how easy it would be to remotely control the pitch of a sample but Elastic Drums should let you automate sample start with a CC or Velocity.