Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ignore, please

One more example where my mouth is acting as translator for my mind but doesn't speak the language!
I want to be able to use Gadget synths to play a prerecorded midi track in Cubasis. This is possible with iM1 but not Module. How about Gadget?

Comments

• edited March 2019

Depends on the host app I think. AFAIK Korg apps have their IAA and Midi well implemented. Their UI design choices however are a different matter.

• Ilectric is ik multimedia, surely?

• edited March 2019

Oops @purpan, you are correct. The icon got me. Is it just Gadget that is not available?

• Gadget is IAA enabled.

• How are you trying to load them? Gadget is MIDI enabled (it even has a simple and an advanced mode). I would guess module is also though I can't say for sure since I don't own it.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Oops @purpan, you are correct. The icon got me. Is it just Gadget that is not available?

Gadget is available, but not on a midi track. It has to be added as an Audio track. Then under routing you change the input to Inter-App Audio > Gadget. Finally you can point a midi track to Gadget, and Gadget’s audio will play through the audio track.

Confusing, I know. The explanation lies with the difference between an IAA “Instrument” and an IAA “Generator”. Apps can be either or both depending on how the developer declares them. An Instrument is generally thought of as something that reacts to midi input only, and doesn’t have a sequencer of its own. A Generator is capable of producing sound on it’s own without midi input. Gadget is really both, but Korg has only set it up as a generator. Cubasis, Auria, and some others handle Generators differently than Instruments. Typically they must be set up on an audio track. In Auria, they are set up on an audio track as an FX(!).

Apple, Steinberg, etc. could have handled this more simply than they have. But there you have it.

I took the trouble to explain this because it trips just about everyone up. It’s a mind flogging concept, but once you get it, will reduce the confusion when you don’t see some apps where you think they should be.

• edited March 2019

Thanks so much for the explanation @wim. I would like to post this somehow cause I am sure others are confused about the same issue. Can I start a thread and quote you? I would combine this with your instructions on the other thread... but if you prefer I don’t, no problem. I think you are one of the best here at explaining stuff. Always clear, with step by step instructions and you manage not to leave any details out. Awesome!

• @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks so much for the explanation @wim. I would like to post this somehow cause I am sure others are confused about the same issue. Can I start a thread and quote you? I would combine this with your instructions on the other thread... but if you prefer I don’t, no problem. I think you are one of the best here at explaining stuff. Always clear, with step by step instructions and you manage not to leave any details out. Awesome!

By all means! There’s not a thing I know that isn’t in some way regurgitated from others I’ve learned from here. The tips and tricks section is the best place probably.

• I’m looking to start a small Audiobus related wiki for questions and solutions. I’ll let all know when I’ve started. Meanwhile stock your questions and answers.