Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mozaic: a sneak-peek at my new project

Comments

• edited March 2019

First !! Haha
    Now to the link

Edit: interesting, on my old days I will finally be a programmer :)
    I think the power of this will come, when the community comes together and create and share their scripts. I am excited to see more...

• I really like this idea. Keep up the great work, sir.

• at least renaming the knobs looks easy! :)

• Scripting AUv3 audio plugins would be something :smiley:
    Something like MobMuPlat but with AUv3 support.

• Stunning!!!!

• Very , very interesting yes give the tool power to the people! This one will need more than a tread !

• Awesome!
    Anxious for this already

And it all makes sense. You always post or comment about the future of iOS being modular :wink:

• Brilliant! Just what I need :)
    Like a more user friendly streambyter with a gui...

• HELL FRIGGIN YES! I love streambyter and have gotten my head around it but it took a lot of time/effort. If the scripting language is easy to grok and well-documented, it'll be a winner. I think it'll gain wider usage if you have an efficient way to let the power users share their creations with the masses.

• This is just...awesome!

• I actually already wrote a beginner's chapter in the Programming Manual titled "From noffin' to boffin in 30 minutes" :D

• @rs2000 said:
    Scripting AUv3 audio plugins would be something :smiley:

I'm not convinced of an urgent need for something like that right now. The market for synths and effects is getting pretty saturated already.

And I vividly remember the early 2000s, when the Windows VST market was flooded with vanilla subtractive SynthEdit synths. shudder

That's not a monster I want to create :D

• @brambos this is awesome! One question: will Mozaic provide access to MIDI clock messages and Ableton Link?

• @jipumarino said:
    @brambos this is awesome! One question: will Mozaic provide access to MIDI clock messages and Ableton Link?

MIDI Clock: yes
    Ableton Link: no, because AUv3 plugins never directly use Ableton Link. The host does, and the plugin can (optionally) sync to the host. So indirectly you can sync to Link, as long as the host does.

• @brambos said:

@rs2000 said:
    Scripting AUv3 audio plugins would be something :smiley:

I'm not convinced of an urgent need for something like that right now. The market for synths and effects is getting pretty saturated already.

And I vividly remember the early 2000s, when the Windows VST market was flooded with vanilla subtractive SynthEdit synths. shudder

That's not a monster I want to create :D

Yeah I agree, I personally have less desire for audio effects unless they are really special. Plus Audulus AUv3 is coming soon with which it will be possible to create your own AUv3 audio plugins...

• Mind Blown. Can't...wait...

• @brambos said:

@jipumarino said:
    @brambos this is awesome! One question: will Mozaic provide access to MIDI clock messages and Ableton Link?

Ableton Link: no, because AUv3 plugins never directly use Ableton Link. The host does, and the plugin can (optionally) sync to the host. So indirectly you can sync to Link, as long as the host does.

Got it, and could a Mozaic instance adjust the host BPM, for example?

• edited March 2019

@jipumarino said:

@brambos said:

@jipumarino said:

No, plugins can not influence the host tempo (there's no standard for doing so in the AU framework). However, Mozaic has its own sample-accurate timer, so you could set that up to cleverly force your own tempo on "downstream MIDI receivers". Although that may get hairy.

• @brambos said:

@jipumarino said:

@brambos said:

@jipumarino said:

No, plugins can not influence the host tempo (there's no standard for doing so in the AU framework). However, Mozaic has its own sample-accurate timer, so you could set that up to cleverly force your own tempo on "downstream MIDI receivers". Although that may get hairy.

Lovely, thanks again!

• @brambos said:

@jipumarino said:

@brambos said:

@jipumarino said:

I’m cool with the Hippies. I don’t mind hairy.
    ;)

• For the stat-lovers; I just did a benchmark of my non-optimized virtual machine.

Currently I can run on average...
    113000 lines/second on iPad Pro Gen2
    60000 lines/second on iPad Air 2
    45000 lines/second on iPod Touch

Basic scripts are 3-10 lines of code, so realtime performance does not seem to become a bottleneck (especially since I expect to be able to squeeze more out of the engine post-optimization).

B)

• Now we can play the "Are we there, yet?" game for a few months.
    Mosaic will be highly anticipated by anyone that ever got a script to do their bidding.

I'll put it at the top of "I'm waiting for..." list. I love anything with a programming manual.

• “Tool power to the people.” That’s awesome @Jumpercollins . Wish I had said that.

• While I like the idea, the weak link seems to be the one GUI template. Would it be possible to create the app with a handful of different GUI templates you could choose from to build your code around rather than just one?

The difference between Mozaic and existing apps like MIDI Designer Pro 2 is it’s AUv3 benefits versus only one GUI versus DIY GUI or StreamByter which has AUv3 but no GUI. The developer’s of the other two apps have collaborated so that StreamByter code can be incorporated into DIY or other user created GUIs in MIDI Designer Pro 2.

Ideally, I would prefer to have the benefits of all three apps and only one new MIDI language code to learn. The to be created Mozaic language may have benefits or functionality not available in StreamByter code and vice versa?

• edited March 2019

@InfoCheck said:
    While I like the idea, the weak link seems to be the one GUI template. Would it be possible to create the app with a handful of different GUI templates you could choose from to build your code around rather than just one?

The difference between Mozaic and existing apps like MIDI Designer Pro 2 is it’s AUv3 benefits versus only one GUI

Hardware MIDI controllers only have one GUI. People get by with them nicely. I believe in working with constraints (I also secretly believe in not blowing projects up to collossal, unmanageable proportions). So for now, the one GUI is what you'll get B)

Maybe in a future version there will be more, but it's not on my list right now. I also think that when people get to see the script language in more detail, the benefits over Streambyter will be very clear: it will be a lot more readable and a whole lot more flexible and feature-rich (in my humble, slightly biased opinion) :)

• @brambos I've commented to you before about how much I admire your skill with interface design and keeping it mostly intuitive to figure out, without "feature creep" and excessive complexity that would only really appeal to only a very small niche user. So, someone like you making a platform like this seems like a perfect fit. I've got all your apps except for Noir (it's on my short list though) and I've always been impressed with your ability to make tools that are both visually distinctive and consistent with your brand.