Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

So I bought something with Knobs & Sliders - Presets and Midi Questions

I bought a Novation Control XL

I know it works with iOS. I quickly tested it using midi learn to map its 8 sliders to 8 volume sliders in AUM. Success. I had questions as to multiple iOS being controlled and how to manage them.

It doesn’t seem like it would be a good idea to willy-nilly make mappings to a synth in a host like AUM not being sure that those mappings would be saved for just that session and that instance of the synth. And while I know you can create mappings using Novations tool, am I wrong in thinking it needs to be hooked up to the Mac to do so? How would I then use midi learn?

Basically I’m looking for best practices and how to from peeps who’ve mapped their controllers to more than on app.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• My understanding is that you can save the session in AUM and it will remember your mappings but every time you open that session you will have to reconnect the actual midi routing, maybe you could map everything thru rozeta and have better luck, but I haven't tried it yet as I pretty much only have a roli block at this time, considering nano control studio or the one you got

• edited March 2019

The best way I've found is to create a custom mapping template via Novation editor and save it as a user preset on the Launch Control XL. It supports 3-4 user template slots, so it doesn't need to be hooked up to a computer.

Then create a template session in AUM and use midi learn to map as desired, which will be retained on save. I've mapped LXL for 8 track mixer setup with volume faders, A and B sends and pan, for use with AUM.

• Audiobus saves all midi mapping/parameters on I think all au and iaa. MPC 2 has great midi mapping, theres more that people will mention I'm sure.

• edited March 2019

@reasOne said:
    My understanding is that you can save the session in AUM and it will remember your mappings but every time you open that session you will have to reconnect the actual midi routing, maybe you could map everything thru rozeta and have better luck, but I haven't tried it yet as I pretty much only have a roli block at this time, considering nano control studio or the one you got

AUM seems to save all my mappings completely (without reconnecting), but not parameters on au and other iaa apps in project.