Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

VirSyn Harmony Voice?

Anyone have experience with this?

Comments

• i have it, but don’t use it very often

• Doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement @eross!

• edited March 2019

I use it as a real-time pitch shifting effect for voice (without automatic pitch following), so actually only one single part of the app. Mostly 5 semitones down, sometimes 12 semitones down, for that typical Laurie Anderson voice effect she used in the 80's (probably with one of those expensive Eventide device). When Harmony Voice came out it was one of the few, or even the only pitch shifting effect available. I guess there are some more today.

The app can do much more, and has real-time graphic display.

• edited March 2019

Bought on release and one of the very few apps I refunded, as it sounded absolutely shite. However they put out an update a few weeks later, which I believe fixed many of the sound quality issues.

• It's not a favourite of mine, which surprised me as I'm in awe of the resynthesis capabilities of Poseidon so it gave me false hope with regards to their pitch shifting nous. Having said that I have a couple of friends who swear by its creative misuse capabilities. :)

• IT’S BOSS BECAUSE IT SOUNDS SO SHITE, HERETIC

• It's probably not going to work for you, @LinearLineman. You're use of harmony is way beyond what some App designer would provide. Harmony is all about the context and to make a generic harmony app you have to select a scleras then provide notes that enforce that basic scale. You went beyond that level of chord thinking years ago. It will just provide extra notes that just don't fit what you input. I can't think of a case where you'd need it unless you're ready to turn on the microphone and want to turn one voice into a basic choir of voices or some parallel voicing trick.

• Exactly, @mcd, just trying to ooch myself towards vocals. You think it would be interesting for that?

• @McD said:
    It's probably not going to work for you, @LinearLineman. You're use of harmony is way beyond what some App designer would provide. Harmony is all about the context and to make a generic harmony app you have to select a scleras then provide notes that enforce that basic scale. You went beyond that level of chord thinking years ago. It will just provide extra notes that just don't fit what you input. I can't think of a case where you'd need it unless you're ready to turn on the microphone and want to turn one voice into a basic choir of voices or some parallel voicing trick.

I am pretty sure you can play the notes for the harmony on keyboard a la Jacob Collier so that you aren't confined to auto-harmonization.

• I’ve been looking for all the harmony apps since I started on iOS a couple of years ago. Tried them all. Harmonizr is the best. Hands down

• @espiegel123 said:

@McD said:
    It's probably not going to work for you, @LinearLineman. You're use of harmony is way beyond what some App designer would provide. Harmony is all about the context and to make a generic harmony app you have to select a scleras then provide notes that enforce that basic scale. You went beyond that level of chord thinking years ago. It will just provide extra notes that just don't fit what you input. I can't think of a case where you'd need it unless you're ready to turn on the microphone and want to turn one voice into a basic choir of voices or some parallel voicing trick.

I am pretty sure you can play the notes for the harmony on keyboard a la Jacob Collier so that you aren't confined to auto-harmonization.

Good point. @Linearlineman could input the vocal "envelope" and have this app (or the great Harmonizr app) which is good at creating choirs driven by MIDI chordal input. @thesoundtestroom has videos of both probably but I think Doug uses guitars as the audio source signal to demo the chords being generated. The Harmonizr creator had a demo video on his "developers site" which can be located via the iTunes App page.

If your serious about wanting to make a vocal driven track then these tools can do some pitch shifting to add extra voices to help generate a statistically good "pitch". Just bury the whole thing in reverb to cover a multitude of sins.

• Thank you all for commenting, I will look at Harmonizer. I will remember you sagacious advice @McD. “Just bury the whole thing in reverb”!

• got it on sale but it's not Auv3

• edited June 2021

Harmonizer and Harmony Voice sound like crap. My advice is don’t mess with any of them on iOS. Der Voco by beepstreet and voicebot by erik sigth are fun little vocoders though to experiment with, if you hate your voice that much and want to ease into it with something fun. My number one unsolicited vocal recording advice is don’t bury your vocal in the mix. ‘’THAT’S what I sound like?!?” Yes, that is what you sound like, get over it and Turn it up! And I know it was a joke earlier, but please don’t bury it in reverb. It always sounds shittier than your voice. 12-15% wet level should just about always do the trick, 20% at the absolute max.

• Wow, sorry, didn’t realize this was 2 years old. But that begs the question @LinearLineman , why haven’t we heard any vocal tracks? Or did I just miss them?

• edited June 2021

I’d like to know the same thing @LinearLineman. Judging from your ultra smooth playing style and forum photo, I would guess your voice to be a smooth baritone like if the Dos Equis guy could sing:

• Easy to miss @oat_phipps . Exactly one!

• @oat_phipps said:
    Harmonizer and Harmony Voice sound like crap. My advice is don’t mess with any of them on iOS. Der Voco by beepstreet and voicebot by erik sigth are fun little vocoders though to experiment with, if you hate your voice that much and want to ease into it with something fun. My number one unsolicited vocal recording advice is don’t bury your vocal in the mix. ‘’THAT’S what I sound like?!?” Yes, that is what you sound like, get over it and Turn it up! And I know it was a joke earlier, but please don’t bury it in reverb. It always sounds shittier than your voice. 12-15% wet level should just about always do the trick, 20% at the absolute max.

So Harmonizr is crap?. I just read about it in this post and if I understand correctly it’s not a vocoder but actually uses your voice but tuned via midi. Is that it?. Sounds interesting. Also thought about getting VoxSyn but DerVoco looks so much nicer… Is there a “good one”?. I like these tools to create underlying vocal pads, don’t mind if it sounds weird as long as it’s pleasing.

• @tahiche said:

@oat_phipps said:

So Harmonizr is crap?. I just read about it in this post and if I understand correctly it’s not a vocoder but actually uses your voice but tuned via midi. Is that it?. Sounds interesting. Also thought about getting VoxSyn but DerVoco looks so much nicer… Is there a “good one”?. I like these tools to create underlying vocal pads, don’t mind if it sounds weird as long as it’s pleasing.

Harmonizr is not crap, but it does take some practice to use. It is a harmonizer similar to something like TC Helicon hardware products, and comes pretty close in my opinion (owning both). For a vocoder, there are many but I think DerVoco and Voice Synth (the one that looks like HAL9000) are the two standouts.

• @tahiche said:

@oat_phipps said:

No, it's not crap. It has its limitations, but it's easily the best vocal harmonizer on ios. It's a pitch shifter, not a vocoder, so not even competing with Der Loco.

• @mjcouche said:

@tahiche said:

@oat_phipps said:

Harmonizr is not crap, but it does take some practice to use. It is a harmonizer similar to something like TC Helicon hardware products, and comes pretty close in my opinion (owning both). For a vocoder, there are many but I think DerVoco and Voice Synth (the one that looks like HAL9000) are the two standouts.

This one uses Harmonizr on an a cappella improvisation. The vocal is pretty weak since I sang it into the wrong side of the ipad mic while laying on my back and browsing the internet. But it's a good demo in that you can hear how Harmonizr helped fatten it up. You can also hear some of the glitches it gives out. You can minimize these with practice and concentration.

• It sure isn’t crap..Harminzer sounds good especially when you use it to get some ideas going and then re record the parts into your DAW .

• edited June 2021

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@mjcouche said:

@tahiche said:

@oat_phipps said:

This one uses Harmonizr on an a cappella improvisation. The vocal is pretty weak since I sang it into the wrong side of the ipad mic while laying on my back and browsing the internet. But it's a good demo in that you can hear how Harmonizr helped fatten it up. You can also hear some of the glitches it gives out. You can minimize these with practice and concentration.

This is beautiful!. Love it ❤️
    Is this via midi or fixed note intervals?.

@mjcouche said:

Great to know!. I own a VoiceLive3. The most useful multi effects I’ve ever owned. That and a cgb actually defined my last band, I find the harmonizer on that unit a joy. I did find that the sound of the voicelive was great for live use but a bit meh when recorded, sounded kind of artificial. But if Harmonizr is anything like it I’m off to buy it right now.
    Unrelated: I was gonna sell the VoiceLive3. Had arranged the sell and a couple of hours I canceled it. I couldn’t, I have an emotional attachment to that thing. It’s the best thought out pedal for a singing guitarist in live use. Selling it sort of meant I was never gonna do a live show again, which is probably true but I’m not willing to admit yet.

• @tahiche said:

@mjcouche said:

@tahiche said:

@oat_phipps said:

@mjcouche said:

Great to know!. I own a VoiceLive3. The most useful multi effects I’ve ever owned. That and a cgb actually defined my last band, I find the harmonizer on that unit a joy. I did find that the sound of the voicelive was great for live use but a bit meh when recorded, sounded kind of artificial. But if Harmonizr is anything like it I’m off to buy it right now.
    Unrelated: I was gonna sell the VoiceLive3. Had arranged the sell and a couple of hours I canceled it. I couldn’t, I have an emotional attachment to that thing.

I. Also loving my vl3 extreme. But always look for a lighter version for iOS. I got an extra iPhone 8 just for vocals and guitar so it won’t drain my iPads cpu

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

I. Also loving my vl3 extreme. But always look for a lighter version for iOS. I got an extra iPhone 8 just for vocals and guitar so it won’t drain my iPads cpu

I actually bought a Line6 Helix (big one) to replace the VoiceLive3 and ended up selling the Helix. The effects on the VL3 are actually pretty good. I have tried to use it as an audio interface with the iPad but I haven’t made it work right, to me it doesn’t feel right as an interface.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr I remember when you put this up the first time! Love it!

@tahiche @Tamir_Raz_Mataz I recently picked up Midi Guitar 2 and maxed the IAPs to attempt the audio to midi to be routed into Harmonizr. This is the main way I’d use it, though it is ready out of the box to be used with onscreen keyboards or other synths, anything that can route midi to it.

• I bought Harmonizr the other day based on the recs in this thread and I’m glad I did. I see there is a MIDI out option for the melody and harmonization - has anyone managed to get this working or is it a placeholder for an unreleased feature? It would be interesting to compare the pitch detection with MG2 as it seems pretty good.

• @tahiche said:

That one above is using Harmonizr’s Chord preset. I’m singing diatonically and the harmony is a constant chord. This next improv features some simple chord changes from midi sent into Harmonizr via Rozeta Cells:

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@tahiche said:

That one above is using Harmonizr’s Chord preset. I’m singing diatonically and the harmony is a constant chord. This next improv features some simple chord changes from midi sent into Harmonizr via Rozeta Cells:

Lovely!. Really moving. Great to see other uses of the iPad, more based on audio as it’s mostly midi everywhere. Reminds me of Bon Iver. Although I guess anything with a harmonizer reminds me of Bon Iver 😄. Even I remind myself when I use one!. An artist a gadget. It’s like that hedious vocal guitar wah thing, if you ever bought one it’d be like “you bought the “Bon Jovi living on a prayer” thing… 😂

Totally unrelated… @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr do you pay the pro SoundCloud subscription?. Seems to me like it’s quite pricey (144€/year) Is it worth it?.