Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Another Sequencing external synth plea for advice

After months of pontificating I'm about to buy my 1st iPad. I've got 5 hardware synths that I want to sequence. I think I've settled on iPad because most grooveboxes/hardware sequencers either lack a song mode or are too expensive and I don't want a laptop DAW because I love the immediacy and portability of a tablet (long time Caustic Android user).

I've tried to do my own research but my head is spinning largely because all this AU business is new to me after Caustic's closed ecosystem.

Can anyone recommend an app that will:

1 - sequence external gear and AUs
2 - has a proper song mode with a 'timeline' (?) song arranger. I'm not into chaining patterns
3 - maybe some built in synths, drums machine and sampler
4 - able to record the audio from the external synths. I understand that I'll need an audio interface
(suggestions more than welcome!)
5 - in concept is at least on the same planet as Caustic or Reason

So far I've looked at Cubasis, Auria Pro, Gadget , Modstep, Genome, Beatmaker 3, Steppolyarp, Rozeta and I'm confused...

I understand that I'll need a Camera Kit (with power) and an Audio interface. I've already got an ESI Midimate 2 midi to USB cable and a USB OTG cable. Would love advice on what audio or combined audio/midi interface would suit.

One other thing (sorry!) space is really limited, as you can see, so I'll need to use my MS2000 as my master keyboard. Does anyone have any experience of using a synth as a sound source AND master keyboard? I remember having to do this in the early 90's with a DX27 and Cubase on an Atari ST. I'm sure it was less than ideal but it was 30 years ago... Anyway thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited March 2019

Aphelian pretty good for generative stuff.

Xequence for midi out.

iOS has got very modular the last few years so your probably looking at a combination of apps to cover all bases.

• the most important bit you left out is what style of music you are aiming for - does it need to be sequenced, generative, song mode, improvised etc?
    Quantum sequencer can drive up to 16 external instruments, but its composition is based on steps & improvisation.

• Ah yeah style of music I tend to make is repetitive house/techno I guess.
    I'm after the finished artice not live performance or improv.

• I'd recommend Cubasis.
    It has Timeline, Internal synth and drum machines, can host AU synths and drum machines, can sequence external gear, can record output from external gear.
    Auria can do all that too, but as you have previously used Cubase, cubasis should be familiar ;)

With your MS2000, does it have a local off mode ? So you can effectively disconnect the keyboard from the synth itself ?

• @FPC said:
    After months of pontificating I'm about to buy my 1st iPad. I've got 5 hardware synths that I want to sequence. I think I've settled on iPad because most grooveboxes/hardware sequencers either lack a song mode or are too expensive and I don't want a laptop DAW because I love the immediacy and portability of a tablet (long time Caustic Android user).

I've tried to do my own research but my head is spinning largely because all this AU business is new to me after Caustic's closed ecosystem.

Can anyone recommend an app that will:

1 - sequence external gear and AUs
    2 - has a proper song mode with a 'timeline' (?) song arranger. I'm not into chaining patterns
    3 - maybe some built in synths, drums machine and sampler
    4 - able to record the audio from the external synths. I understand that I'll need an audio interface
    (suggestions more than welcome!)
    5 - in concept is at least on the same planet as Caustic or Reason

So far I've looked at Cubasis, Auria Pro, Gadget , Modstep, Genome, Beatmaker 3, Steppolyarp, Rozeta and I'm confused...

I understand that I'll need a Camera Kit (with power) and an Audio interface. I've already got an ESI Midimate 2 midi to USB cable and a USB OTG cable. Would love advice on what audio or combined audio/midi interface would suit.

One other thing (sorry!) space is really limited, as you can see, so I'll need to use my MS2000 as my master keyboard. Does anyone have any experience of using a synth as a sound source AND master keyboard? I remember having to do this in the early 90's with a DX27 and Cubase on an Atari ST. I'm sure it was less than ideal but it was 30 years ago... Anyway thanks in advance.

I guess what type of dim or USB connection you matters.

• I believe that ModStep at $9.99 offers both the best value and capabilities for sequencing external synths. Be aware that it's an Ableton style clip launcher but that's why it's proven to be so popular as a live performance tool as well as a studio tool for syncing onboard iOS audio plugins with external hardware kit.

Another bonus of ModStep is that it offers full Studiomux functionality too, which enables you to stream iOS synths into your desktop DAW. On a Mac you get choice of setting up you iOS device as a 18-2 input/output device or to use an AU/VST to stream each iOS synth/effect chain into your DAW, on Windows you can only use the VST option (that's what I use, and feel it's no different than the 18-2 device approach of OS X in practical terms).

• @jonmoore said:
    I believe that ModStep at $9.99 offers both the best value and capabilities for sequencing external synths. Be aware that it's an Ableton style clip launcher but that's why it's proven to be so popular as a live performance tool as well as a studio tool for syncing onboard iOS audio plugins with external hardware kit.

Another bonus of ModStep is that it offers full Studiomux functionality too, which enables you to stream iOS synths into your desktop DAW. On a Mac you get choice of setting up you iOS device as a 18-2 input/output device or to use an AU/VST to stream each iOS synth/effect chain into your DAW, on Windows you can only use the VST option (that's what I use, and feel it's no different than the 18-2 device approach of OS X in practical terms).

All true, but the OP wanted a timeline and audio record, which modstep doesn’t have :|

• @AndyPlankton said:

All true, but the OP wanted a timeline and audio record, which modstep doesn’t have :|

I know, that's why I emphasised that ModStep uses the session view metaphor of Ableton/Gadget etc. But ModStep can provide a somewhat linear approach as each clip can feature up to 16 sub clips (all of 1 bar) but if you set with 1/32 grid division, a single clip can feature up to 32 bars.

I agree that Cubasis is the most full-featured linear MIDI-centric DAW on iOS. But ModStep has many other advantages and should be considered in the context of a live rig of external devices. Plus Cubasis is $49.99 and ModStep is $9.99.

I own and use both but I never user Cubasis to sequence external hardware. When working with external hardware in tandem with iOS, my mindset is far more 'jam' focused. However, I never record and mix full productions in an iOS DAW. I only do that on a desktop DAW. iOS devices are treated as just another hardware device in my studio setup (as mentioned elsewhere, I currently have 5 iOS devices streaming audio into my desktop DAW. But I do use iOS devices as an ideas sketchpad, and to set up live jam sessions to iterate through musical ideas.

I'm not suggesting any way or workflow is the right or proper way, but I think it's good if all ideas are discussed so the OP can work out the pro's and con's with regard to the way they like to work.

• Xequence is IMO state of the art linear sequencer on iOS, nothing is really close to it... But keep in mind that Xequence is a sequencer only. For hosting other AU plugins or apps, I'd recommend either Audiobus3 or AUM. AB3's huge advantage is that it can enable AU-like functionality to non-AU apps, and there is probably still more AB3-supported apps than AUs. The features that AB3 can allow apps to do:

• Automatic opening of apps used in a project
    • Special panel on the side within every app to easily switch between them, or to switch back to Audiobus, and even trigger buttons for various actions (transport, on/off button etc...)
    • State saving - this may be very important for you if you use e.g. Xequence for sequencing - Every time you open a project, it will open Xequence in the same state you have saved AB3 session, so you don't have to worry to load the respective project in Xequence too (same for every other app that is not AU but has AB3 state saving support)

On the other hand, AUM has nicer UI, some better routing options, built-in sample player and basic effects, bus channels, channels reordering, floating resizable windows for AU plugins and many other small nice touches that makes it really fun to use.

This modular approach is probably the best way on iOS right now. But if you really want all-in-one approach, Cubasis, as mentioned, is maybe an option for you. But I have never explored it's possibilities to sequence external gear, but it should be possible.
    With Beatmaker3 it is possible to sequence external stuff, but I have experience with that and it's horribly unstable and imprecise. Don't even try it, until some new version that fixes MIDI timing will be released.

• I agree that Xequence has a fantastic Piano Roll and it's very good value too. With AUM, apeMatrix or Audiobus 3 it offers an interesting modular approach. Unfortunately, the disparate state of IAA, AUv2 and AUv3 means that to have the most flexibility you require all of AUM, apeMatrix and Audiobus (and this means the combined cost is closer to Cubasis). The reason being is that you'll always find an app/plugin that only plays ball with one or two of the available options. To explain further, apps can be classed as FX, FXm(MIDI), Instrument, Generator or MIDI in both AU and IAA flavours. In a host like ApeMatrix, Generators can't receive MIDI, only transmit MIDI (this is closer to Apple guidelines), but AUM and Audiobus are more flexible with Generators and they're allowed to receive MIDI if the IAA/AU in question is capable of receiving MIDI.

Overall, there is no best fit. But if we're focusing on the OP's original post. Cubasis on paper is the closest fit without all the added complications of iOS power user's (guilty as charged on my behalf) more modular approach of using apeMatrix, AUM, Audiobus, Xequnece and ModStep/Studiomux in combination. Cubasis alone does all that that @FPC has specified but going the power use approach offers far greater flexibility for roughly the same cost. The downside of the power user approach is that the learning curve will be far steeper than using Cubasis alone. And let's not forget that Audioveek is very close to releasing their AU based piano roll tool, which yet again offers more flexibility for those that like to treat iOS as a 'modular' platform.

Apologies @FPC if all the available options are making your decision even more arduous! If there's one unequivocal piece of advice that can be given, it's to wait until Easter to spend your money. Historically all the major players in iOS have an Easter sale when apps like Gadget and Cubasis are generally available at half their usual price.

• Wow. Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.

I guess I'll try Cubasis to start with. I can't really get my head round anything other than an all-in-one approach for the time being. I've got a younger tech-savvy friend who's heavily into Stagelight and AUs but he's very much under the thumb of his wife and he's rarely let out of the house! I'm 50 in a couple of weeks so things take a while to sink in!

I'm thinking I'll probably try a few of the more live orientated apps like Modstep, Xequence and Quantum for improvised, filter tweekin jams... although I am pretty shit at this sort of thing. Cost of apps is secondary, time is the biggy.

Thanks AndyPlankton with the midi local mode suggestion on the MS2000 - I'll look into this.

Would still love to hear from someone who actually does what I'm after doing though...finished electronic tracks (no live jams) with external gear done entirely on an iPad with no ableton or other desktop DAW in sight.

• @FPC said:

Would still love to hear from someone who actually does what I'm after doing though...finished electronic tracks (no live jams) with external gear done entirely on an iPad with no ableton or other desktop DAW in sight.

Right here ! I use a combo of iOS and external synths (BassStation II, Circuit, Mininova, Korg Electribe Sampler, Alesis DM5 drums.....no desktop in this 'ere part of the planet ;)

• edited March 2019

For your setup I’d try the following (in order of preference):

NanoStudio 2 (great all around piece of kit that will give best bang for buck)
    Cubasis (good translation of the desktop to iOS)
    Korg Gadget (great synths and with the free midi Out module it’s a no brainer)
    Modstep (one of the best all around sequencers on iOS that is Pattern based like Live)

Hope that helps and welcome to the iOS music making family. 👊🏼™️

• @AndyPlankton said:

@FPC said:

Right here ! I use a combo of iOS and external synths (BassStation II, Circuit, Mininova, Korg Electribe Sampler, Alesis DM5 drums.....no desktop in this 'ere part of the planet ;)

You again! Nice. Can you recommend a pain free audio and or midi interface?

• I have experimented with multiple hardware sequencers... and I love the workflow of the Yamaha mmt8.

I also enjoy using the Electribe sampler 2 to do live midi out sequencing and looping of the ensoniq esq1 in multi timbral mode.

Xequence is dope.

Also the new korg gadget midi out module is a great implementation

I love Oscilab for midi sequencing hardware too

I’m ready for a proper midi looper on iOS though

• @FPC said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@FPC said:

Do you need multi channel, or will you record the synths one at a time ?

• edited March 2019

@FPC If you want something that is conceptually similar to Reason, taht would be Gadget. But It’s not really like a traditional DAW. It can record audio with the Zurich gadget but doesn’t have ‘proper’ audio tracks you can easily edit and arrange with.

Cubasis is like a traditional DAW and if you ever liked Cubase is ideal. I never got on with Cubase so gave it a miss. It’s sequencer resolution is quite low so the audio editing isn’t the most accurate.

BeatMaker 3 can be totally linear if you want and has a superb sampler but its UI is a bit of a mess IMhO. It can do everything but can be confusing and also a little bit unreliable. But it’s worth considering if you like the look of it and like pads. If you don’t like pads give it a miss as they force you to go through the pads interface for everything. I find it quite annoying to use.

Nanostudio 2 can do most of what you want but doesn’t have audio tracks. You can use the sampler to record audio but it’s not the same as proper audio tracks. It’s a shame it hasn’t got audio yet otherwise it would be my number one choice. It’s quite slick and the piano roll is nice to use

Auria Pro can do everything you need in one app and is similar in concept to protools. It also has some FabFilter fx available as IAPs. It would be the most powerful for audio mixing once you have all your external gear recorded in the iPad. It can also record up to 24 Audio tracks if you have a multi channel audio interface. It has its critics. I’ve not used it but on paper it does everything you want other than be like Reason.

Most of the others mentioned are not DAWs and require using additional apps to patch stuff in and record. Some people love this kind of modular approach and it can be very powerful. But it requires a different thought process to using a linear DAw.

I think your choice for a DAW that can do what you need today would be down to 2: Cubasis ot Auria Pro.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@FPC said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@FPC said:

Happy to record them one at a time but I guess it'd need two inputs for stereo synths?

• @FPC said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@FPC said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@FPC said:

Happy to record them one at a time but I guess it'd need two inputs for stereo synths?

I use a behringer UCA 202, and have done for quite some time...works great and is nice and cheap, stereo in and out, only thing that is a downside to it is that the headphone output is quite quiet, I use a headphone amp with mine.
    The UCA does not cover you for MIDI though, and you'd need a separate MIDI interface, which then also means a powered hub.....

For an all in one then the Focusrite Interfaces are very good and have MIDI ports too.....

Do you all your synths have MIDI Thru ports to chain them or do you have a MIDI Thru box ?
    Also, do you need MIDI IN from all the synths, or would you mainly be controlling them from the master keyboard and via CC's from the DAW/Sequencer ?

• @stuck80s said:

I have experimented with multiple hardware sequencers... and I love the workflow of the Yamaha mmt8.

I also enjoy using the Electribe sampler 2 to do live midi out sequencing and looping of the ensoniq esq1 in multi timbral mode.

Xequence is dope.

Also the new korg gadget midi out module is a great implementation

I love Oscilab for midi sequencing hardware too

I’m ready for a proper midi looper on iOS though

Thanks for this. Oscilib is crazy fun but Midi was skaky last te I tried it (Andoid).

Am I right in saying Gadget 2 doesn't really have a time-line approach on its main sequencer? Love the pretend hardware ethic of reason, caustic and gadget though.

Just don't get on with hardware sequencers, tried mc808, RM1x, early electribes, SU700 etc miss that big screen.

Love your cat!

• His name is beemer

He loves making music on the Commodore 64

• @stuck80s said:

His name is beemer

He loves making music on the Commodore 64

Old skool. I'll call him SID!

• @AndyPlankton said:

@FPC said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@FPC said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@FPC said:

I use a behringer UCA 202, and have done for quite some time...works great and is nice and cheap, stereo in and out, only thing that is a downside to it is that the headphone output is quite quiet, I use a headphone amp with mine.
    The UCA does not cover you for MIDI though, and you'd need a separate MIDI interface, which then also means a powered hub.....

For an all in one then the Focusrite Interfaces are very good and have MIDI ports too.....

Do you all your synths have MIDI Thru ports to chain them or do you have a MIDI Thru box ?
    Also, do you need MIDI IN from all the synths, or would you mainly be controlling them from the master keyboard and via CC's from the DAW/Sequencer ?

Thanks for your time here, appreciated.

So this how I envisaged it all hanging together: in and out to ms2000 (synth and master keyboard) from ipad via ESI midi mate 2 USB to midi adapter (or any other) . Through from ms2000 to to superbass station in, through from SBS to dreadbox erebus in, through from here to cheap splitter cable into Volca and Reface CS.

I've tested this from an android DAW (g-stomper producer) and there's no timing errors that I can detect.

Happy to control everything from master keyboard and iPad if that's possible.

• The zoom U-24 is good with an iPad it has battery, usb and external power options, nice sounding converters for the price and it also has midi on proper full sized 5-pin din jacks. No usb hub required.

• Good stuff, that'll work, and is similar to what I'm doing....you will still need a hub though because you'll have the MIDI Mate and whichever audio interface you go for plugged into the Camera Connection Kit.
    I do this...and I have a mix of MIDI gear connected with a similar cable and MIDI Thru box, as well as other MIDI devices connected via USB as well as the behringer audio interface...
    I am using a powered hub just to avoid any power issues.

• @FPC What you're describing looks a lot like Nanostudio 2 with the limitation that for now (until audio tracks are available somewhere in the future), you'd have to record your synth licks as samples and use them as such.
    If audio tracks are more important now then Cubasis will likely get you going the quickest.
    It can also record audio and MIDI simultaneously so you can first use your analog synth sounds and add iOS synths later. Just an example, there are many options, also have a look at Audio Evolution Mobile which has its own great concept.

• Thanks to everyone who chipped in here. I've got lot to be going on.
    This is a very friendly and helpful community. :)

• What’s the next piece of hardware your after?

• @stuck80s said:
    What’s the next piece of hardware your after?

Gotta be Modal Craftsynth 2.0. And a Mutable Clouds... Unless there's something on app store that sounds like it!

• @AndyPlankton said:

@FPC said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@FPC said:

What would be your pick Andy for multichannel ?