Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Layr bank/program import problem

I’m running iOS 12.0 on a 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9”. I can get to the Bank Import and Program Import options in Layr, but neither of them respond in any way to touching or holding. The manual says there should be a selection dialog, but I get nothing. Anyone else seen this and found a solution?

Comments

• Both import options are working as expected with iOS 12.0 on 2nd and 3rd gen Pros on this end. Have you tried “copy to / open in LayR” from the bank file?

• Yes I have. I also temporarily turned on iCloud Backups, but no joy. It used to work before iOS 11 or so, but not now.

• edited March 2019

I've seen this happen when iOS gets confused about a user's iCloud status.

Sounds a bit like you're not signed in to iCloud, or at least LayR is being told by the system that you're not signed in, if you are, try signing out and then signing back in again. ( In the iOS settings app )

Quit LayR fully before you do that though!
    ( Double tap the home button and flick all apps that appear there off the screen )

Also make sure that LayR is enabled for iCloud in the settings app.

• Launch Settings App
    • Tap your name
    • Tap iCloud
    • scroll down and make sure LayR is in the list and is enabled.

Finally...
    You should also do a full forced reset on the iPad. ( Hold the power and home buttons down together for several seconds until you see the device boot into the white screen with Apple logo )

You don't need to turn on iCloud backups for LayR's iCloud import/export functions to work, but you do need to be signed in and LayR needs to be enabled. This should happen automatically when LayR runs for the first time but iOS can get out of sync after updates, I've seen that happen myself. At least one of the "fixes" mentioned above should cure the issue.

If all that fails, delete LayR and reinstall.

• @LivingMemorySoftware I’ve just done everything as you suggested. I also made sure that iCloud Backups was turned on, but the Import options all remained unresponsive. The only import success I’ve seen was when I copied an individual .layrperf file from Dropbox into the Layr folder in the Files app and started up Layr. That got imported automatically (with a message about iTunes file sharing area) and did not need the Import screen, but the process also emptied the Files app Layr folder of my .bank files.
    Is there any chance you could make the dependency on iCloud just an option? I don’t need it for other apps that access the Files app and whatever is going wrong with it here is probably not even your fault.

Thanks for trying to help. :)

• edited March 2019

"If all that fails, delete LayR and reinstall." If it's still not working after that, then the issue must be with your iCloud settings. And again, you don't need to turn on iCloud backup. All that will do is fill your iCloud drive space with photos and app crap.

I've never known issues like this with iCloud persist beyond the advice I gave above, I would even suggest you go trhough it again. Especially start by doing a forced reset.

• except perhaps for one thing, try deleting Files.app and reinstalling that.

• I read your advice before you edited it. :)

It’s great that iCloud backups can be turned off, as I don’t use it at all. I don’t use iCloud Drive, either. Layr was enabled, however, and I was signed in. If I delete Layr and reinstall, what happens to the banks I imported (Brice, Red Sky Lullaby, Andy Garman) before it stopped working? If they disappear and the reinstall doesn’t fix the problem then I’ll be worse off than I am now...

• edited March 2019

All Brice, Red Sky Lullaby, Andy Garman banks are built in to the app, where did you import them from?

Did you try signing out of iCloud and back in again? You will be asked for your passwords, told about "Find my iPad" being disabled etc...

It's a pain to go trhough but you'll find it often fixes iCloud issues.

When you get it working again, I advise keeping backups of all sensitive data, don't ever rely on your device not to fail!

If you use iCloud drive as it's intended, you can even keep a backup of your files there. It's actually very useful! I was only advising not having the "official" iCloud backup enabled because it uses up loads of your free space. But for small files like presets and sample loops, iCloud drive is excellent. ... my advice is use it! ...

• Really? My mistake. I must be remembering importing some very early Brice patches that he made available. If they’re all included, I’ll go ahead and reinstall. Thanks for your help. :)

• edited March 2019

@LivingMemorySoftware Ok. I deleted Layr. I signed out of iCloud. I signed back in to iCloud. I reinstalled Layr and retransferred the instrument and performance banks I’m after from Dropbox to Files. Tried to import, no response from Import icons. Went back to Files and renamed banks to append .layrbank suffix (no idea why it had disappeared). Tried again, same result.
    At this point I’m reluctant to delete the Files app, I have other stuff for other apps in there and I really don’t want my problems to spread to other apps. I’ll leave it here and make do without Import capability. If you ever change things in this area of Layr I’ll try again. Thanks for trying to help.

• Do I read correctly that you are running iOs12.0? Maybe you are running into some iOS issue solved by one of the iOS updates.

• It’s possible, but I’d like to avoid newer problems. I’d rather update individual apps than the OS. Most other stuff works at the moment, so I’ll live with it.