Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A Different Look at Different Drummer - Daveypoo, The Mobile Music Minstrel

The latest video is live! Diving deep into an older app that has no equal on iOS:

Different Drummer!

Comments

• Not a bad intro demo.
    Really great to get something going for beginners.
    Great job, man!
    B)

• @CracklePot said:
    Not a bad intro demo.
    Really great to get something going for beginners.
    Great job, man!
    B)

Thank you, sir! I'd like to dig in a bit more and do something a bit more musical but I felt like I needed to refresh everyone's memory with a re-introduction to this app first. If this gets a good response, I can dive deeper.

• edited March 2019

Cool! Been looking forward to this as I've been debating this one
    Gonna watch it tonight

• @reasOne said:
    Cool! Been looking forward to this as I've been debating this one
    Gonna watch it tonight

All I can suggest is that you have an open mind!

• Dude, you should definitely do more if you are feelin’ it.
    You explain things really well.
    Especially these confusing and complicated apps.

• Thanks - I appreciate the feedback.

• Great video, Dave! The instrument browser icon is a “cylinder.”

• Many thanks, but I think I am still overwhelmed by this App :p

• Thank you sir for you hard work :)

• edited March 2019

@johnfromberkeley said:
    Great video, Dave! The instrument browser icon is a “cylinder.”

I know - I could think of the word "iconography" but not the word "cylinder"...

🤦‍♂️

@tja said:
    Many thanks, but I think I am still overwhelmed by this App :p

It's overwhelming! I like to play around with no agenda - this app is about the journey as much as it is the destination.

@audiblevideo said:
    Thank you sir for you hard work :)

You're welcome, as always 👍

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    Great video, Dave! The instrument browser icon is a “cylinder.”

I always thought it was supposed to be a floor Tom.
    :D

• Nice video @Daveypoo! I use grid mode almost exclusively, but the non-grid is good for the unexpected or ambient.

• @funjunkie27 It took me FOREVER to figure out the grid mode, but as you can see in the video I'm still learning. I had a solid handle on the old interface, and while I do prefer the new one I have to learn the app all over again!

• @Daveypoo - I think we're all still learning! This app would require a few lifetimes to get close to a full understanding.

• @daveypoo and @funjunke27 @technemedia It’s the only app that I feel like holds some sort of universal math wisdom about music.

• Not sure about the only one, but possibly the deepest @johnfromberkeley.

• @johnfromberkeley I agree.

The main thing with Different Drummer is that the interface is so intimidating and it's so easy to make gobbledygook noise that it can turn off a lot of folks.

But the POWER that is inside this app is stunning. There's music buried in there - it takes some work to get it out, but it's worth the effort. And once you get past all that initial difficulty, the beauty of the app really reveals itself.

The idea of doing it all with WAVES is just genius. It makes complete sense in concept - I just hope I can illustrate the joy this app gives me to the community. It presses SO many buttons in my brain regarding math and patterns.....

• This app is both awesome as it is unfriendly as hell! :lol:
    Thanks for this video, @Daveypoo
    Guess it will restore some love for the app in my life!

• @senhorlampada said:
    This app is both awesome as it is unfriendly as hell! :lol:

Love it despite it's unfriendliness - there's a lot to love here!

• @Daveypoo said:

@senhorlampada said:

Agreed. For me, it's the advanced take on Oscilab

• Hmmm - never messed with Oscilab...

• I've heard several people compare it with Oscilab, but Oscilab uses waves to modify the sound, like a typical synth, whereas DD uses wave to shape the rhythm. It is the only thing I've ever seen that uses waves in that manner.

• Enjoyed that Dave..

Did give me the kick to go back and reacquaint myself with Different Drummer.
    Can work most of the interface but I am damned if I can find out how to clear it back to a blank song!

• @funjunkie27 you should put more of your own tutorials up. I know that over the years your technique with different drummer has improved 🙂

• @Daveypoo said:

@senhorlampada said:

Thanks for the video, made me buy that strange thing - what a misleading name for the app.

• Thanks @audiblevideo. My life situation has changed a bit, and time is the main hurdle, but I want to get back into it.

• Thank you @Daveypoo! Well done and inspires me to update the tutorial videos to help clarify the new interface. BTW, you can always hit the Undo (backwards arrow) if you think you lost some work. Also you can reset (flatten) the current wave type by hitting the little circle button next to the wave type selectors or flatten all wave types by hitting the bigger circle next to the New Wave set button (the rainbow star). I added an alert when you are about to wipe out your grid work too (new version coming soon with some other fixes too). There are three modes of operation: wave mode, grid mode and step-sequencer mode (a managed grid mode where all voices are in lock step) and you can mix and match them as desired having some voices in the grid and other more free with waves. Waves can be quantized or unquantizied too. When unquantized it's more what you see is what you get and when quantized, it only looks at the wave at the beat value tick marks. I hope to improve the samples this year. would love to work with a good sound designer and really get some killer replacement sounds. Thanks again for your valuable time!

• edited April 2019

@technemedia said:
    Thank you @Daveypoo! Well done and inspires me to update the tutorial videos to help clarify the new interface. BTW, you can always hit the Undo (backwards arrow) if you think you lost some work. Also you can reset (flatten) the current wave type by hitting the little circle button next to the wave type selectors or flatten all wave types by hitting the bigger circle next to the New Wave set button (the rainbow star). I added an alert when you are about to wipe out your grid work too (new version coming soon with some other fixes too). There are three modes of operation: wave mode, grid mode and step-sequencer mode (a managed grid mode where all voices are in lock step) and you can mix and match them as desired having some voices in the grid and other more free with waves. Waves can be quantized or unquantizied too. When unquantized it's more what you see is what you get and when quantized, it only looks at the wave at the beat value tick marks. I hope to improve the samples this year. would love to work with a good sound designer and really get some killer replacement sounds. Thanks again for your valuable time!

Hey - thanks for the killer app! Loved this for a long time, so I'm glad I sparked some renewed interest. I'm hoping to do at least on more video down the road. Can't wait to see what you've got in store, and thanks for clarifying those details!

• @funjunkie27 said:
    I've heard several people compare it with Oscilab, but Oscilab uses waves to modify the sound, like a typical synth, whereas DD uses wave to shape the rhythm. It is the only thing I've ever seen that uses waves in that manner.

Yeah... the Rhythm in Oscilab is dependent on the steps in the step sequencer. But the pitch and filter is associated with the wave

• edited April 2019

Hi Dave, just wanted to compliment you on your delivery. Very easy to listen to and with very logical progression. Too much detail in this app for me, but I could understand a lot about it cause of your fine skills. Thanks!
    Btw, one small visual change that somehow would make a big difference for me. I would put your logo across the top left and show more of yourself. You seem kind of squashed and I keep noticing it. But that may just be me.