Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Few questions about Samplr app

1. Does it have groove/swing quantize
  2. Does the distortion effect have Bit Crush/Decimate
  3. Export stems?
  4. Option to play samples at a Fixed velocity?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• @stormbeats said:
    3. Export stems?
    Thanks in advance

I'd avoid it, personally. It's a great app but no longer supported, and reportedly not working on some devices now.

• It’s a wonderful app for what it is but no and it’s no longer being developed so there’s no point making feature requests

• @db909 said:
    It’s a wonderful app for what it is but no and it’s no longer being developed so there’s no point making feature requests

Ok cheers

• @MonzoPro said:

@stormbeats said:
    3. Export stems?
    Thanks in advance

I'd avoid it, personally. It's a great app but no longer supported, and reportedly not working on some devices now.

@MonzoPro ok thanks yep i just watched jakob haaqs video not supported on ipad pro2018

• @stormbeats said:
    3. Export stems?
    Thanks in advance

I think honestly just buy it.

It is hard to appreciate the depth of this masterpiece through words.

It is the best of iOS music making has to offer on multiple levels.

• @MonzoPro said:

@stormbeats said:
    3. Export stems?
    Thanks in advance

Works on my iPad "6" or whatever they called it I bought it new 8 months ago

• @stormbeats said:

@MonzoPro said:

@stormbeats said:
    3. Export stems?
    Thanks in advance

@MonzoPro ok thanks yep i just watched jakob haaqs video not supported on ipad pro2018

Let me put something in perspective though.

Many of us will keep an older device just to use this app because it IS so special to a person like me and many others who find it to be a gem of gems.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@stormbeats said:

@MonzoPro said:

@stormbeats said:
    3. Export stems?
    Thanks in advance

Many of us will keep an older device just to use this app because it IS so special to a person like me and many others who find it to be a gem of gems.

If you can afford to have an older device frozen in time just for that app then fine, but generally people buy new devices or update their iOS. Even if you do 'freeze' an older device, it isn't going to last forever.

It works ok on my Air 2, but for how long?

• @MonzoPro said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@stormbeats said:

@MonzoPro said:

@stormbeats said:
    3. Export stems?
    Thanks in advance

If you can afford to have an older device frozen in time just for that app then fine, but generally people buy new devices or update their iOS. Even if you do 'freeze' an older device, it isn't going to last forever.

It works ok on my Air 2, but for how long?

True.

I guess that is why I only put so much time and workflow into iOS these days.

I learned my lesson the hard way on another app or to I relied on.

Good point.

• edited March 2019

@stormbeats said:
    3. Export stems?
    Thanks in advance

Just get it. I use it daily synced with other apps in Audiobus. It’s an absolute treasure.

1. Yes
    2. No but has got a fun tremolo effect that kind of does a bit of that at high lfo
    3. Yes, straight to AudioShare.
    4. Just play them at the top of waveform. Vertical axis is your velocity.
  • @supadom said:

@stormbeats said:
    3. Export stems?
    Thanks in advance

Just get it. I use it daily synced with other apps in Audiobus. It’s an absolute treasure.

1. Yes
    2. No but has got a fun tremolo effect that kind of does a bit of that at high lfo

@supadom and everyone else cheers Only let down for me though is no Fixed velocity.

• I'm in the camp of just use it. Perfectly useable here on an ipad4, latest ios.

Depending on your use case I'm not sure stem export is the best way to think about this app. It's strength is that it's an instrument meant to be played. Given that, I think getting the best bits out of the app come from recording it rather than exporting stems if you know what I mean. Only main outs are exposed even though it has 6 "channels"

• Works on all my devices but I only own a second generation Pro. I wouldn't be without it. As Gaz so succinctly put, only a few years ago, if you had a dedicated device offering the same features as Samplr it would have sold for significant coin. Pick up a second generation iPad 2 for pennies and make it a dedicated Samplr device. :)

• When SamplR self-plays, it's always fixed velocity - it simply plays the level of the waveform at the position of the trigger (line).
    If you tap manually on the waveform or record such taps, then the vertical position of the tap defines the loudness level. Top is 100% (as in self-play), lower attentuates loudness.
    It's really not difficult to stay 'in line' to keep this level constant, iirc it's a logarithmic scale ;)

Regarding the failure of the 2018 iPad Pro: that was just the mic input failing iirc.

• @supadom said:

@stormbeats said:
    3. Export stems?
    Thanks in advance

1. Yes

Some of us dead enders will always have Samplr on some device.........

• Marcos Alonso, the dev, has stated that he intends to keep pushing updates to keep Samplr working on new versions of iOS. However, he has also stated that there most likely won't be any new development work on it and the updates should not be expected to be rushed out.

As others have stated, it works well even on an iPad 2 and what you get as a true touch screen instrument is unique and a worthwhile addition to any sound explorer's toolbox.

• Tbh SamplR is the only app (on both table and desktop) that always delivered creative fun and/or cool output - never ever failed B)

• RJBRJB
    edited March 2019

Since Mr. Alonso is tyed up with Apple and stated that he will no longer add features I wonder if he would consider gifting the code to a young and ambitious developer to carry on the legacy? Any thoughts on who it should be?

• Would you sell (or even give away) your children ? ;)
    A talented person can build upon SamplR's foundation with ease.
    The code of the app is the least part - it's the workflow design that made it an icon.

• I guess but why hasn’t anyone duplicated it after all these years. Wouldn’t you rather see your child flourish out in the world when the Man has you under his thumb and not letting you care for your loved one 😊

• We need a petition sent to Mr Alonso. He can future proof it in 1h I am sure. I don’t need extra features, don’t need anything. I want it to work. So, it doesn’t work on iPad Pro 11”? It works on iPad Pro 9.7”. Good enough so far

• For those that have an iPad Pro on which Samplr recording doesn't work, have you tried going into system settings and manually giving SamplR permission to access the mic?

• @zhoe said:
    He can future proof it in 1h I am sure.

Wow. I hope you’re being facetious. If not, that is an incredibly ill-informed thing to say.

• Wouldn't doubt if Samplr get's incorporated into Apple somehow ...then included in GarageBand.

much like Alchemy synth. At one point it had no more updates, then sort of disappeared, turns out Apple bought Camel Audio and then it came out it Logic/ Garageband/Mainstage.

• Valid point.

• As mentioned on another thread I’m on an air2 and purchased Samplr last month. It exhibited the same symptoms as it does on the pro and mentioned in the recent @jakoB_haQ video. I tried everything to get it to work including, as suggested above, access to mic and nothing did the job. It’s the only app I’ve bought - and I have a few to say the least - that didn’t work and I’ve ever requested a refund for. Shame as I only read great things about it. My thoughts were as above - perhaps it will appear in GB?

• edited March 2019

I was using it last night on my Pro 10.5. No problems at all, able to record through the iPad's internal mic.

• @RUST( i )K said:

I think honestly just buy it.

It is hard to appreciate the depth of this masterpiece through words.

It is the best of iOS music making has to offer on multiple levels.

^^^ this

• edited March 2019

@Telefunky said:
    Tbh SamplR is the only app (on both table and desktop) that always delivered creative fun and/or cool output - never ever failed B)

& this ^^^

it's sort of a one off. imho few if any apps in the subsequent 7 years have been as impressive all round, in terms of sound manipulation, design & workflow. it's an original timeless classic of the ios world !

• The app that sold me on getting an ipad in the 1st place.