Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Voice over production with Auria Pro

This discussion https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/31680/best-ios-vocal-chain/p1 gave me the encouragement to make a video (first since 2015). Thanks to JohnnyGoodyear for the motivation.

Personally I don’t like long videos so I try to keep it at the five minute mark. Hopefully you have time to watch and give critique. I lost access to my old YouTube channel (all 10 subscribers haha) so if you like this please like and subscribe cause I like creating.

Comments

• Bump. Any criticism is welcomed. Thanks!

• It's a good instruction about what you actually should NOT do to 'improve' vocals ;)

Never (!) displace and pan the same record to fake a 'larger than life' acoustic image.
    Valid approach: make 3 records or use a panning delay with random modulation like so called 'automated double-tracking' plugins, that fake the Abbey Road trick

Don't use multiband compression to increase loudness - it changes the voice's spectral content and introduces more blur by distortion.

There's no such thing as presets for vocal compression - adjust level and attack/release times according to speach (or musical) rhythm.

Lazy man's approach to get (basic) vocals more beefy:
    FabFilter Pro-L2 (or FAC Maxima) inserted on the vocal track. Set the limiter's threshold to somewhere above the dense area of the waveform and it's output level to -10 dB (or whatever you want as your track loudness).
    That way the limiter will balance the dynamic in a natural, yet punchy way and not squash it.

If you're happy with the settings, let Auria render in place and remove the limiter plugin to save resources.
    For a more aggressive tone add a classic 1176 like compressor/limiter, but it's often not needed. (dunno if this exists on IOS).

• Ouch thanks for the feedback. Is it that bad or am I missing some sarcasm?

• edited March 2019

I understand I have a lot to learn still after years of doing imaging and commercials but having the top spot for a day at Discchord.com feels awesome!

• @nic_b_nice said:
    Ouch thanks for the feedback. Is it that bad or am I missing some sarcasm?

You have a nice speaking voice. This sounded like the FM station promo for my local station.

• There's absolutely no sarcasm included, but you spoiled a (your) pretty nice voice ;)
    Of course your approach is a valid for some ultra-flashy trash type sound - which may be just the right thing for an intro.

But that's easy to check: just speak the section 3 times, record the 3 takes and do exactly the same arrangement. You will be much more impressed by the 3 'different' guys than by the same character that was repeated 2 times.
    The natural chorusing is much 'bigger' than the repeated spectrum (which will act as a comb filter and extinguish parts of thec signal).

You may have Pro-L2 and it's frequently associated with 'mastering' aka make the sum as loud as possible, but it's actually more versatile (and useful).
    In particular to get a healthy track level - it's NOT about squashing things.
    Some years ago I turned to a plugin for my desktop DAW (SAW Studio Levelizer) which does exactly the same thing and since then my use of compressors went down close to zero.

Compressors are highly sensitive to introduce unwanted distortion (if used as loudness control) and this adds up tremendously if each track contains one or more (you had 4 per track as the multiband thing is 3 comps under 1 hood)
    Limiters like ProL2 and FAC Maxima are mathematically more tricky than they look do their job with very low distortion (if properly implemented - I didn't measure them) which will add clarity to the mix.
    And they are much (!) easier to use than a classic compressor. 2 birds by 1 stone.

• @Telefunky said:
    There's absolutely no sarcasm included, but you spoiled a (your) pretty nice voice ;)
    Of course your approach is a valid for some ultra-flashy trash type sound - which may be just the right thing for an intro.

But that's easy to check: just speak the section 3 times, record the 3 takes and do exactly the same arrangement. You will be much more impressed by the 3 'different' guys than by the same character that was repeated 2 times.
    The natural chorusing is much 'bigger' than the repeated spectrum (which will act as a comb filter and extinguish parts of thec signal).

You may have Pro-L2 and it's frequently associated with 'mastering' aka make the sum as loud as possible, but it's actually more versatile (and useful).
    In particular to get a healthy track level - it's NOT about squashing things.
    Some years ago I turned to a plugin for my desktop DAW (SAW Studio Levelizer) which does exactly the same thing and since then my use of compressors went down close to zero.

Compressors are highly sensitive to introduce unwanted distortion (if used as loudness control) and this adds up tremendously if each track contains one or more (you had 4 per track as the multiband thing is 3 comps under 1 hood)
    Limiters like ProL2 and FAC Maxima are mathematically more tricky than they look do their job with very low distortion (if properly implemented - I didn't measure them) which will add clarity to the mix.
    And they are much (!) easier to use than a classic compressor. 2 birds by 1 stone.

I appreciate your input and time. I'll try to incorporate your approach and see if I can pick up my discrepancies.

I know this forum is more about music so radio imaging techniques might not be "right" in all aspects of audio creativity and the science behind it. I do want to get better everyday and with every project and sometimes my ear says "this sounds good...no need to over do it".

• @hacked_to_pieces said:

@nic_b_nice said:
    Ouch thanks for the feedback. Is it that bad or am I missing some sarcasm?

You have a nice speaking voice. This sounded like the FM station promo for my local station.

Thanks a ton. Exactly what it is =)