Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPads announced

edited March 2019 in General App Discussion

'The iPad Air features a thinner design with a 10.5-inch display and the Apple A12 Bionic chip. The iPad mini keeps the same 7.9-inch screen, but gets the same A12 spec bump. Both the Air and the Mini are compatible with the first-generation Apple Pencil. The iPad mini starts at $399 for the 64 GB model, and the Air starts at $499.'

https://9to5mac.com/2019/03/18/apple-announces-new-10-5-inch-ipad-air-and-ipad-mini-with-apple-pencil-support/

Comments

• edited March 2019

O yeah! That Mini is my new hotness. Gorgeous!

[edit: well, it’s basically the same as before but with more storage, better CPU , and better screen]

• It looks like they kept the headphone jack on the Air, that‘s nice

• I think the 10.5in Air sounds pretty sweet.

• If the new iPad Air has 4GB's of Ram I might take the plunge and upgrade my old Air 2 :)
    Another factor for an upgrade will be the question if the Air 2 gets iOS13 or not...

• Lord they just keep moving things around. So, air is now the old pro. So I suspect now 9.7’ is at the end of the line?

Reminds me of my 4y.o. when I ask her what’s her favourite colour. She normally replies: green, yellow and blue.

Good to see mini back on the table.

• This looks to be a great option: almost the same performance as the new Pros, but with a headphone jack.

• @Samu said:
    If the new iPad Air has 4GB's of Ram I might take the plunge and upgrade my old Air 2 :)

I would surprised if it would be 4GB. But you never know...

Another factor for an upgrade will be the question if the Air 2 gets iOS13 or not...

Most likely.

• If you like the new iPad Air you might be happy with the nearly identical iPad pro 10.5”. It seems odd to me that they basically downgraded the 10.5 pro and remarketed it as iPad Air.

I wonder how the A10x CPU on the 10.5 Pro compares to the A12 CPU on this new iPad Air...

• @Hmtx said:
    If you like the new iPad Air you might be happy with the nearly identical iPad pro 10.5”. It seems odd to me that they basically downgraded the 10.5 pro and remarketed it as iPad Air.

I wonder how the A10x CPU on the 10.5 Pro compares to the A12 CPU on this new iPad Air...

well the old pro has the 4 speakers and the 120 Hz , better cameras and we still don‘t know about RAM. If it does have 4GB, it would be quite close to the old pro, but if it has 2, that will make a difference, especially when more pro apps like PhotoShop come to the iPad

• It's worthwhile remembering that the A12 is just under 50% slower than the A12x at multithreaded tasks and that means that you'll get less AU hosting capabilities.

But an A12 in a mini, that I can use my 1st gen pencil with, I'm in!

• Wait...
    Dude...
    What?

• edited March 2019

Wow, they kept the 3.5 jack, lighting connector and home button.
    This makes the ipad much better for music making, and overall convenient device.

• I didn’t click the link, but it’s good that apple keeps up the confusing names. So now the one that my wife has (that was mine) is the old iPad Air? Not the new one, which is newer than the older air 2.

I got the 2018 iPad (not the pro, or air, but the iPad) in December, that should serve me well for a long time. Pencil support is a good thing though, I’m very happy using the pencil with goodnotes 4 , much better than the other Bluetooth stylus I had with my (old) iPad Air.

• Does the new mini keep the headphone jack? I'm thinking of upgrading my mini 2 to this new mini but I use the headphone jack for everything music related.

• @Grobles87 said:
    Does the new mini keep the headphone jack?

Yup.

• edited March 2019

@rthr said:

@Samu said:
    If the new iPad Air has 4GB's of Ram I might take the plunge and upgrade my old Air 2 :)

I would surprised if it would be 4GB. But you never know...

Yah I would be surprised if it had 4GB too. If it does then the pro11 is going to take a massive sales hit, but maybe that is in the calculations. Funny little high, low, mid dance Apple has going on heh.

• And they both have fingerprint unlock, which I prefer to face unlock (conceptually anyway as I’ve never had a device with face recognition)

• Well, Apple has to do something. Their stuff is too expensive and they’re taking a real beating in the phone market.

I love my 10.5 Pro. The size is perfect for me, dig Apple Pencil, etc.

I played with a new Pro this weekend and kinda missed the home button.

If I needed a new one now. I’d be all over that 10.5 Air, even if it has less ram and without the 120fps screen.

• About that 120Hz screen. It is really slick. I don't get why they aren't using that tech it in their top of the line phones...

For me personally it's almost as big a difference as the move to retina.

• @skiphunt said:
    Well, Apple has to do something. Their stuff is too expensive and they’re taking a real beating in the phone market.

If I needed a new one now. I’d be all over that 10.5 Air, even if it has less ram and without the 120fps screen.

It is pretty cool. The high 120hz is like a novelty to me anyway. I turn it off if I have NS2 or BM3 playing a session while I am painting and it is hardly vital. I often just leave it off. 4 gigs though is really the base for me in AU land. Also I imagine there are a lot of factors (ram/bus speed etc) that go unbenchmarked with these things. The difference between my 2017 base and 2017 10.5 pro for shuffling files around is pretty profound to me.

Anyway, looking forward to getting a used 64 mini one day that works with my existing pencil :)

• @AudioGus said:

@skiphunt said:
    Well, Apple has to do something. Their stuff is too expensive and they’re taking a real beating in the phone market.

It is pretty cool. The high 120hz is like a novelty to me anyway. I turn it off if I have NS2 or BM3 playing a session while I am painting and it is hardly vital. I often just leave it off. 4 gigs though is really the base for me in AU land. Also I imagine there are a lot of factors (ram/bus speed etc) that go unbenchmarked with these things. The difference between my 2017 base and 2017 10.5 pro for shuffling files around is pretty profound to me.

Anyway, looking forward to getting a used 64 mini one day that works with my existing pencil :)

For me I'd love to see 'screen size comparisons' when using say Gadget or Cubasis.
    That would make it easier to 'visualise' the difference especially since my eye-sight is degrading...

• edited March 2019

Let the dust settle, wait to they been torn apart RAM reported problems ironed out audio wise if any take a proper look in 6 months time!

• @BiancaNeve said:
    And they both have fingerprint unlock, which I prefer to face unlock (conceptually anyway as I’ve never had a device with face recognition)

I thought that - but after moving to XS Max and IPad pro a bit ago - it is mostly transparent - you just pick things up and use them (although if I'm really slouching at my desk I need to lean forward over my iPad a bit to open it :-) )

• @Samu said:

@AudioGus said:

@skiphunt said:

For me I'd love to see 'screen size comparisons' when using say Gadget or Cubasis.
    That would make it easier to 'visualise' the difference especially since my eye-sight is degrading...

I’d say, if the eyes 👀 are straining now, I’d go straight for the large 12in one. The 10.5 is definitely noticeable for screen real estate, but probably not enough for weakening eyes to make a significant difference.

• One more question. What's the ram on the new mini? 2GB?

• @Grobles87 said:
    One more question. What's the ram on the new mini? 2GB?

AFAIK unconfirmed.

• Is this better or worse than the regular iPad 6? I'm so confused.

• 10.5" Retina LCD with True Tone
    1-pound weight, 6.1mm thin
    Apple A12 chip
    Supports Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard
    but NO Face ID
    NO 120Hz
    NO Quad Speakers

found this on twitter

• @ipadthai said:
    Is this better or worse than the regular iPad 6? I'm so confused.

compare for yourself of course, but the specs are significantly better https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

• @Hmtx said:

@ipadthai said:
    Is this better or worse than the regular iPad 6? I'm so confused.

compare for yourself of course, but the specs are significantly better https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

Oh wow. That is a nice difference.