Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DrumPerfect Pro 3 is live on the Appstore. What’s new?

Comments

• Marinus and I just got 3 promo codes for DPP. Happy to share them with some of you.

P66LEFH3F764

EP4EPEYFYJP3

K9EEY6F44MRL

• edited March 2019

Just had a listen the the new Brazilian brushes sound pack.. Speechless.. What an update.. Thanks Marius!!!!!!🤸🏾‍♂️🤾‍♂️

• edited March 2019

P66LEFH3F764 Claimed
    Thank you very much!

Now I have to get to grips with a wonderful drum machine that looks like my car dashboard and stereo 😉

• @audiblevideo said:
    P66LEFH3F764 Claimed
    Thank you very much!

Now I have to get to grips with a wonderful drum machine that looks like my car dashboard and stereo 😉

Haha! You got it, it was inspired by these vintage cars, the classy ones I mean. Perhaps you have one of those... good diving in DPP.

• @Gilbert said:
    Marinus and I just got 3 promo codes for DPP. Happy to share them with some of you.

P66LEFH3F764

EP4EPEYFYJP3

K9EEY6F44MRL

Class act! 👍

• edited March 2019

All claimed, FYI. (Not by me.)

For those of us that don't have this, what is its main selling point as a drum app? Tempted by the sale price but not sure I need it. For reference, I don't mind electronic sounding drums in my compositions but do like some variation which I am generally way too lazy to program in... Would this be helpful to me?

• Are the IAPs on sale?

• Can this version program fills "more easily"?
    i think one of the selling point of Lumbeat apps is plug and play ease, not necessarily realism

• @hisdudeness said:
    Can this version program fills "more easily"?
    i think one of the selling point of Lumbeat apps is plug and play ease, not necessarily realism

I am not aware that you can program fills in Lumbeat apps ( neither in GB Drummers for that matter ). What you can do is use an auto-fill feature that indeed is very easy to apply, but I wonder if the fills are musically all interesting and appropriate to the style. Do they just fill the space or bring something emotionally intelligent to the musical context. GB has more control however.

In DPP you either learn real drummers fills and can program them with all nuances, or use the fills included in the packs, which are a replica of real life fills learned from the best drummers, not random combinations of strokes ( random fills are still possible and easy to program though ).
    Since this question has been often raised, and there are so many ways to program fills in DPP, from the most obvious/simple to the most intricate/complex, I might do a video on the Art of Fills in DPP3....

A last point to mention: in the GM free pack many patterns come with their own fills every 4 or 8 bars. Everything can be tailored to what suit your music. Nothing is squarely fixed once for all or on the opposite side, totally fuzzy.
    Now that I think, there is indeed a very simple way to have a variety of programmed fills play randomly every here and there in songs.

Short question, long answer. It may interest some other users.

What do you find uneasy in programming fills?
    How do you see easy, convenient, accurate use of fills in your tracks?

• @espiegel123 said:
    Are the IAPs on sale?

I don’t think so. Do you find them high priced?

• @oddSTAR said:
    All claimed, FYI. (Not by me.)

For those of us that don't have this, what is its main selling point as a drum app? Tempted by the sale price but not sure I need it. For reference, I don't mind electronic sounding drums in my compositions but do like some variation which I am generally way too lazy to program in... Would this be helpful to me?

Would this be helpful to me?

The thing is that an app like DPP, as you start to use it day after day, might well change the way you think about your compositions, and stimulate you to be more adventurous or anything else. Many of my young students’s parents would ask “ do I need to buy a cheap or expensive guitar for a beginner?”
    It’s about quality, not price. Money come and go. The instrument remains for years, and if is a good one, made with love and care, your art become better, your expectations are fullfilled, not limited. You feel deeply inspired. Personally, being a musician, I consider DPP like a ( digital ) musical instrument. The body is iPad, the spirit is DPP. And the music is created by you.

...main selling point as a drum app?...

I’ll make a compilation of tracks made with DPP and post it soon. Be guided by what you hear.

• @Gilbert said:

@hisdudeness said:

I am not aware that you can program fills in Lumbeat apps ( neither in GB Drummers for that matter ). What you can do is use an auto-fill feature that indeed is very easy to apply, but I wonder if the fills are musically all interesting and appropriate to the style. Do they just fill the space or bring something emotionally intelligent to the musical context. GB has more control however.

In DPP you either learn real drummers fills and can program them with all nuances, or use the fills included in the packs, which are a replica of real life fills learned from the best drummers, not random combinations of strokes ( random fills are still possible and easy to program though ).
    Since this question has been often raised, and there are so many ways to program fills in DPP, from the most obvious/simple to the most intricate/complex, I might do a video on the Art of Fills in DPP3....

A last point to mention: in the GM free pack many patterns come with their own fills every 4 or 8 bars. Everything can be tailored to what suit your music. Nothing is squarely fixed once for all or on the opposite side, totally fuzzy.
    Now that I think, there is indeed a very simple way to have a variety of programmed fills play randomly every here and there in songs.

thank you for your response
    my bad
    i meant auto fills,

i dont find it difficult at all, just that at times you want something auto, so you can quickly lay ideas, thats all
    For me autofills act as a cue to next section, while jamming with my guitar

Off-course while recording.. that's where DPP shines.. because its got more control

No you cant program fills in Lumbeat/GB, but its got this jam slider, which generates auto fills based on intensity

so my question was more geared towards DPP3 as a quick jam tool

await your video

• @Gilbert this is a very interesting move for DPP, thanks a lot for this !

Can you explain how to use the new GM kit? Is it working from the new AU player? I haven’t found the midi out for this...

• Might be worth watching Doug from TSTR excellent video of how to build a song from Scratch with DPP2 to get new owners into the app!

• This guy does a good set of tutorials aswell.

• edited March 2019

@cuscolima said:
    @Gilbert this is a very interesting move for DPP, thanks a lot for this !

Can you explain how to use the new GM kit? Is it working from the new AU player? I haven’t found the midi out for this...

The AUv3 player basically replicate playing a song in DPP Song view. As the name says, it is a player, only a player ( for this first version ). No midi in or out. All is first built in DPP.
    A song being a collection of patterns played in sequence, using one or more kits in the timeline. It can be looped, global tempo modified, and in DPP3, dynamics levels and tempo automations can be programed too.
    All this data ( patterns, kit (s), song ) need to be saved as a pack ( or complete backup of all data ). The player import it as a preset and play it, just like the song would play in DPP. All is controlable except the tempo automation if the host doesn’t have a tempo track.
    Auria Pro does have one, so the player can follow all speed up or down, tempo changes, etc....
    The GM kit is just like any other kit, but with all GM1 sounds mapped to midi instruments. So playing a midi file will immediatly sound good without need for remapping, etc... ( check the midi channel though, when you import the file ). I see it as a all purpose high quality kit covering any genre as you can see if you load its PatBank.
    There is a vast collection of advanced patterns in most of genres, with variations, fills, etc... included in the pack. If you make songs from each genre or pattern and save it, then export them to DPP folder ( or anywhwere apparently ) you can import all as presets and play/practice only with the player. Adapt the tempo from the host to your needs. For looped performances, remember to switch On the Loop button ( red ) before exporting your songs.
    I think that’s it. Does it answer your question?

• Thanks for the explanation. I understand now the principle of the player. I am still not very sure I understand how I can import my own drums and use them with the GM kit...I will have to dig this a bit (or if someone can do a video, that would be perfect)

• @cuscolima said:
    Thanks for the explanation. I understand now the principle of the player. I am still not very sure I understand how I can import my own drums and use them with the GM kit...I will have to dig this a bit (or if someone can do a video, that would be perfect)

Well the GM kit has its own samples. If you want to make a copy and replace the factory samples with your own, it is up to you. You can. The mapping won’t be lost. Try just replacing a kick and/or snare and listen how it sounds. If you like it, go on...

• I really like DPP although there are many things I still don’t understand how to use yet.

I don’t mean to hijack this thread but I ran across one thing last night that seemed like it should be easy to do but I couldn’t figure it out. When importing midi drum files into DPP, some files have random empty measures in them where there are no drum notes, maybe to mark off measures with different variations of the groove. The easiest thing would be to delete the empty measures but I can’t find a way in DPP to do that. I’ve also tried copying drum notes from a different measure and pasting to the empty measure but that doesn’t work either. I would like to copy all the drum notes in a measure to another bar not each instrument one at a time. I have resorted to opening the midi file in another drum app, delete the empty measures there and then export that as a new midi file and import it into DPP.

Obviously I’m not doing something right or something is not working as it should. Is there an easy way to delete whole measures in DPP? I can continue to keep editing the midi files in another app but it would be nice to do it all in DPP. Great work on the update!

• Anyone using this on an Air 2? Sounds like it's a bit CPU heavy, but looks like a good thing.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Anyone using this on an Air 2? Sounds like it's a bit CPU heavy, but looks like a good thing.

Yes, I noticed that too. Reverb and Compressor on many instruments ( long samples ) can put some pressure on Air2 CPU. Pls try the CLC knob in Pattern view.

• edited March 2019

@yowza said:
    I really like DPP although there are many things I still don’t understand how to use yet.

I don’t mean to hijack this thread but I ran across one thing last night that seemed like it should be easy to do but I couldn’t figure it out. When importing midi drum files into DPP, some files have random empty measures in them where there are no drum notes, maybe to mark off measures with different variations of the groove. The easiest thing would be to delete the empty measures but I can’t find a way in DPP to do that.

If the empty parts correspond to specific song patterns in the song time line (in Song view), you can simply tap Select, tap the song pattern and then tap Erase.

I’ve also tried copying drum notes from a different measure and pasting to the empty measure but that >doesn’t work either. I would like to copy all the drum notes in a measure to another bar not each >instrument one at a time.

In Pattern editing (in Pattern en in Grid view), by default the "/Instr" button is highlighted, meaning that editing is on a per-instrument basis. If you tap this once to turn it off, you can select drum strokes in all instruments at the same time and copy/paste them elsewhere.

An easy way to copy part of a pattern from one location to another is to use the new "invisible editing bar" just below the score grid (see QuickStart guide for details). You can swipe this bar to select/deselect the desired drum strokes. If "/Instr" is off, swiping this bar will select drum strokes in all instruments. Double tapping the bar at the desired location will paste the copied selection to that location.

Both Pattern and Grid view have such invisible bar just below the score grid. As another powerful selection tool, if you start the swiping under an empty location, immediately all drum strokes in the pattern are selected!

The "/Layer" button has a similar meaning but for Layers. By default, selections are per-layer. But with "/Layer" off, strokes in every layer can be part of the same selection.

Example: suppose you have a 4/4 pattern where the first beat is empty and you want to have the last 3 beats as a 3/4 pattern. Switch "/Instr" off. Swipe the locations from beat 2 to beat 4 to select (or shortcut: swipe the first empty beat to select all). Tap Erase. Double tap under the first location of beat 1 to paste selection. Change time signature to 3/4. Done.

Hope this helps.

• edited March 2019

Thanks I’ve tried all this including the invisible select options in both pattern and grid view and it doesn’t seem to work the way you describe, maybe a video world help. I can select things but can’t figure out how to copy and paste into the empty bar in the middle of the pattern.
    I can’t erase the empty part from the song view either because the empty part is only one bar of the whole 4 bar pattern say bar three is empty. I want to delete the empty bar three or fill it with what’s playing in one of the other bars so there is no silence for one bar.
    This is a drum file I got a while ago. I can send it to you to see for yourself, let me know how. A lot of commercial drum files come this way so maybe people just edit them elsewhere first before moving to DP.

• edited March 2019

@Gilbert said:

@espiegel123 said:
    Are the IAPs on sale?

I don’t think so. Do you find them high priced?

I was asking as I just purchased DPP3 and am not sure yet if I will use IAPs but wanted to know if I would be missing out on special pricing by waiting since the prices seem quite reasonable. I didn’t know if that was the normal price.

• The IAPs sound great and are excellent quality and value compared to other samplepacks imo.

• @yowza said:
    Thanks I’ve tried all this including the invisible select options in both pattern and grid view and it doesn’t seem to work the way you describe, maybe a video world help. I can select things but can’t figure out how to copy and paste into the empty bar in the middle of the pattern.
    I can’t erase the empty part from the song view either because the empty part is only one bar of the whole 4 bar pattern say bar three is empty. I want to delete the empty bar three or full it with what’s playing in one of the other bars so there is no silence for one bar.

In Song view -> Load -> Show midi files, there's an option to switch off "Multi-bar patterns". This will put every bar read from the midi file in a separate pattern, until all 64 patterns are used. Drawback is that this method limits the length of the midi track that can be read.

This is a drum file I got a while ago. I can send it to you to see for yourself, let me know how. A lot of commercial drum files come this way so maybe people just edit them elsewhere first before moving to DP.

you can send the file directly via email to my name at drumperfect.nl

• @Gilbert said:

@hisdudeness said:

@Gilbert : just one person’s perspective here. Clearly, DPP is the tool for someone composing drum tracks — especially if they understand drums and their function. One of the things about LUMBeats’ SoftDrummer (and their other drum apps, though I only have experience with SoftDrummer) is that it is very easy to get a groove up and running and setting it up so that it varies itself in a musical way while maintaining the groove. The fills and ‘intensity’ are very drummer like. I’ve used it to record jams as I work tunes out, and it is a great experience. I think that is a big selling point for them.

I realize that isn’t what DPP is focused on, but a ‘Jam mode’ for that use case would make DPP a no-brainer for many people that are on-the-fence about what drum app to get.

• @Marinus said:
    In Song view -> Load -> Show midi files, there's an option to switch off "Multi-bar patterns". This will put every bar read from the midi file in a separate pattern, until all 64 patterns are used. Drawback is that this method limits the length of the midi track that can be read.

you can send the file directly via email to my name at drumperfect.nl

This did it! I think I recently switched multi bar pattern back on and forgot about it. I am able to get all bars of the midi file separated into different patterns including some empty ones but they can easily be deleted now. Thanks!

You can send midi from the Lumbeat apps to trigger in DP and record there so that would give you some fills in DP.

• @Marinus : Has the manual been completely updated?

• edited March 2019

I realize that isn’t what DPP is focused on, but a ‘Jam mode’ for that use case would make DPP a no-brainer for many people that are on-the-fence about what drum app to get.

Just as an example of the current JAM mode in DPP:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iowwrl2rlzeudsc/exampleJAM.wav?dl=0

It's a very simple rhythm, but decorated with some probability strokes on kick, snare and hi-hat and a single Linked Set with the tom strokes+crash (also probability strokes), which is played every 4 bars. The demo is a single 4/4 pattern played a number of times while gradually sliding the JAM! slider from left to right. Two effects: there are three levels of dynamics which remap some of the instruments (programmable) and the probabilities are globally scaled up by the JAM! slider (higher intensity).