My First Impressions of the NI M32 Keyboard

The main (only?) reason to get this is if you also work on a DAW on the desktop and would like to use Native Instrument's Komplete Kontrol. However, this is no longer such a big deal because the newest version of Komplete Kontrol software lets you do MIDI learn for the knobs on your own keyboard.

A secondary reason is that it is the only mini-keyboard I know of that has 32 keys instead of 25. Those 7 extra keys make a big difference.

It is extremely light and seems strong, but I think it is too big to fit in most backpacks. You can easily tuck this under your arm and I'm sure that NI will have a case for it soon.

However, it doesn't work on an iPad or phone without power. So if you're going to need the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter. You can either use it at home, or use a decent portable iPad charger.

My early experimentation is that you can set up 4 pages of MIDI learn for the 8 knobs, giving you easy access to 32 parameters. The big knob doesn't work with MIDI learn.

If you want to know more, I've written about this at much more length on VI:Control.

Comments

• was thinking about this or the arturia keystep. It will depend the keys' feel.