Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

My First Impressions of the NI M32 Keyboard

The main (only?) reason to get this is if you also work on a DAW on the desktop and would like to use Native Instrument's Komplete Kontrol. However, this is no longer such a big deal because the newest version of Komplete Kontrol software lets you do MIDI learn for the knobs on your own keyboard.

A secondary reason is that it is the only mini-keyboard I know of that has 32 keys instead of 25. Those 7 extra keys make a big difference.

It is extremely light and seems strong, but I think it is too big to fit in most backpacks. You can easily tuck this under your arm and I'm sure that NI will have a case for it soon.

However, it doesn't work on an iPad or phone without power. So if you're going to need the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter. You can either use it at home, or use a decent portable iPad charger.

My early experimentation is that you can set up 4 pages of MIDI learn for the 8 knobs, giving you easy access to 32 parameters. The big knob doesn't work with MIDI learn.

If you want to know more, I've written about this at much more length on VI:Control.

Comments

• was thinking about this or the arturia keystep. It will depend the keys' feel.

• @Reid said:

>

that it is the only mini-keyboard I know of that has 32 keys instead of 25. Those 7 extra keys make a big difference.

It is extremely light and seems strong, but I think it is too big to fit in most backpacks. You can easily tuck this under your arm and I'm sure that NI will have a case for it soon.

However, it doesn't work on an iPad or phone without power. So if you're going to need the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter. You can either use it at home, or use a decent portable iPad charger.

").

Just a heads up for the M audio axiom air 32 which also has 32 mini keys, can be powered from iPad or iPhone without external power and can fit in a small back pack... it also has drum/sample pads. Build quality is nor amazing but to be fair can be picked up new for less than £55

• edited May 2021

Midiplus x3 is a magnificent and a very underrated controller.
    It has 3 octaves, great keyboard action, pitch and mod strips, programmable knobs and buttons, can be programmed from the unit itself (no management software needed) and powers off an iPhone or iPad.

And it is cheap.

What’s not to like?!

• I’ve tried a lot of small midi keyboards for mobile use. Most of them had way too mini keys and/or terrible key action and/or 25 keys only.
    So I could easily narrow down the list of candidates to the Arturia keystep 32 and the NI M32. Finally decided to take the keystep 32. I would say the key action on the M32 was slightly better for me, however my iPad was not able to power it and it was a dealbreaker for me. Otherwise I would have chosen the M32.