Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to copy .ipa with iFunBox from iphone to iPad?

13»

Comments

• @yug said:

@aplourde said:

@espiegel123 said:

@aplourde said:

@espiegel123 said:

@aplourde said:
    You don't need to be on MacOS 10.6.8 to get the iTunes that allows downloading apps to store them locally. After iTunes 12.7 came out and removed that functionality, Apple kept iTunes 12.6.5 available for business users who need to configure multiple devices and install local apps. You can get it here.

Three big caveats:
    1- This won't help the OP as the functionality to pull the app off the device was removed long ago. This is simply a way to download apps and store them locally and then be able to install on your devices from the local copy.
    2- iTunes 12.6.5 won't run on MacOS Mojave (10.14)
    3- iTunes 12.6.5 won't work with the newest iOS devices (2018 and newer)

There is also the enterprise Apple Configurator but as you can see from the "glowing" reviews, it's not the most fun to work with.

Thanks for the information.

Does that mean won't run on Mojave or later or is it only Mojave that is a problem?

Can this be installed on a machine that has iTunes already without interfering with the recent iTunes version's functionality?

Can't say with absolute certainty, but considering Apple is getting rid of iTunes, I think it's fair to assume that Mojave was the end of the line for iTunes 12.6.5

Unfortunately, you can only have one version of iTunes at a time. That said, I had no problems installing 12.7 then rolling back to 12.6.5; your data is safe.

So, it sounds like if one (as I do) uses iTunes to make local backups of a modern iDevice -- you don't want to do this on the Mac you use to make your backups -- but would want to install the old iTunes on another Mac. (Or, you could rename the 'real' iTunes, install the 12.6.5 version and create a user on your machine to run the old version for the sake of downloading the ipa files to archive).

Running on a separate computer is probably the easiest path. I'm not sure you can just rename iTunes and install the two versions. MacOS uses bundle IDs, not the user-facing name to ID apps.

If you only have one Mac, while it's somewhat tedious to install and re-install iTunes (there's the installation and a library re-build), I think that it wouldn't damage the backup of the newer device (and I'm assuming by "modern device" you mean something that requires iTunes 12.7 or higher). That said, I would backup your backup before trying!

Of course, having the .ipas is just one part. If you need to re-install, you'll need iFunBox or whatever as iTunes 12.6.5 won't work with your 2018-ish or newer device (basically anything released since the iPhone 8 and X) and 12.7 or higher don't handle .ipas.

<sigh> Apple...

You could also try working with the Apple Configurator...

As I just found out, you can do all this with iMazing

https://imazing.com/guides/how-to-manage-apps-without-itunes

This is true, but copy an IPA from device to desktop, then from desktop back to a device is no longer possible.

• @yug said:

@aplourde said:

@espiegel123 said:

@aplourde said:

@espiegel123 said:

@aplourde said:
    You don't need to be on MacOS 10.6.8 to get the iTunes that allows downloading apps to store them locally. After iTunes 12.7 came out and removed that functionality, Apple kept iTunes 12.6.5 available for business users who need to configure multiple devices and install local apps. You can get it here.

Three big caveats:
    1- This won't help the OP as the functionality to pull the app off the device was removed long ago. This is simply a way to download apps and store them locally and then be able to install on your devices from the local copy.

There is also the enterprise Apple Configurator but as you can see from the "glowing" reviews, it's not the most fun to work with.

Does that mean won't run on Mojave or later or is it only Mojave that is a problem?

Can this be installed on a machine that has iTunes already without interfering with the recent iTunes version's functionality?

Can't say with absolute certainty, but considering Apple is getting rid of iTunes, I think it's fair to assume that Mojave was the end of the line for iTunes 12.6.5

Unfortunately, you can only have one version of iTunes at a time. That said, I had no problems installing 12.7 then rolling back to 12.6.5; your data is safe.

So, it sounds like if one (as I do) uses iTunes to make local backups of a modern iDevice -- you don't want to do this on the Mac you use to make your backups -- but would want to install the old iTunes on another Mac. (Or, you could rename the 'real' iTunes, install the 12.6.5 version and create a user on your machine to run the old version for the sake of downloading the ipa files to archive).

Running on a separate computer is probably the easiest path. I'm not sure you can just rename iTunes and install the two versions. MacOS uses bundle IDs, not the user-facing name to ID apps.

If you only have one Mac, while it's somewhat tedious to install and re-install iTunes (there's the installation and a library re-build), I think that it wouldn't damage the backup of the newer device (and I'm assuming by "modern device" you mean something that requires iTunes 12.7 or higher). That said, I would backup your backup before trying!

Of course, having the .ipas is just one part. If you need to re-install, you'll need iFunBox or whatever as iTunes 12.6.5 won't work with your 2018-ish or newer device (basically anything released since the iPhone 8 and X) and 12.7 or higher don't handle .ipas.

<sigh> Apple...

But you need an old iTunes to be able to download the .ipa files. No apps can grab them from the idevices.

• @espiegel123 said:

@yug said:

@aplourde said:

@espiegel123 said:

@aplourde said:

@espiegel123 said:

@aplourde said:

Three big caveats:

<sigh> Apple...

But you need an old iTunes to be able to download the .ipa files. No apps can grab them from the idevices.

iTunes 12.6.5.3 on my PC, can download apps to my PC, then you can install these to your device.

• If anyone has the IPA for Z3ta+ and would kindly be willing to share, I would like to try to re-install this to my iPad 10.5 via iTunes 12.6.5.3.

• edited July 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@yug said:

No, you can't grab them from the devices anymore. I believe it was only possible on iOS 8 and earlier versions

But you don't need iTunes 12.6 to download the ipa files from the app store, iMazing can do that too. And unlike iTunes, it can keep previous versions when downloading an update

• @knewspeak said:
    If anyone has the IPA for Z3ta+ and would kindly be willing to share, I would like to try to re-install this to my iPad 10.5 via iTunes 12.6.5.3.

It only installs if it’s downloaded from your own account, has to be digitally signed to your Apple ID.
    Pretty sure that’s always been the case unfortunately.

• @knewspeak said:
    If anyone has the IPA for Z3ta+ and would kindly be willing to share, I would like to try to re-install this to my iPad 10.5 via iTunes 12.6.5.3.

As far as I know, you won't be able to install it. It must be downloaded from the app store using your Apple ID, not someone else's

• @Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

It only installs if it’s downloaded from your own account, has to be digitally signed to your Apple ID.

Isn’t it only the purchase ticket that is signed, best way to find out is to try, so if anyone could supply the Z3ta+ IPA I would be willing to try to install and report back my findings. If it works, apps that you previously purchased, could possibly be re-installed to your device if no longer available in the AppStore.

• OMG, there's lots of guesswork and speculation in this thread although the title is clear: It's about copying an app from an iDevice to a desktop machine in the shape of an ipa archive that is suitable to reinstall (on another iDevice logged in with the same iTunes account).

And no, it's not possible to install an ipa from somebody else on your iDevice because the ipa is signed with a certificate tied to the iTunes account that it was purchased with - it will require the same account to be used on your own iDevice.

If anybody really knows how to extract any app version directly from an iDevice running iOS 12+ then please describe the process with all steps required to do so, but please make sure it actually works.

Thank you all.

• @yug said:

@espiegel123 said:

@yug said:

No, you can't grab them from the devices anymore. I believe it was only possible on iOS 8 and earlier versions

But you don't need iTunes 12.6 to download the ipa files from the app store, iMazing can do that too. And unlike iTunes, it can keep previous versions when downloading an update

How does iMazing differentiate between various versions of IPA files of the same App.

• @knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

Isn’t it only the purchase ticket that is signed, best way to find out is to try, so if anyone could supply the Z3ta+ IPA I would be willing to try to install and report back my findings. If it works, apps that you previously purchased, could possibly be re-installed to your device if no longer available in the AppStore.

Sure could be worth a try, don’t think I’ve ever personally tried someone else’s ipa, just read that Apple blocked this.
    I have Z3ta ipa, so could send it over

• @Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

Sure could be worth a try, don’t think I’ve ever personally tried someone else’s ipa, just read that Apple blocked this.

Cheers, how would you like to share it, I’ll give it a try, worse case it doesn’t work.

• @knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

Cheers, how would you like to share it, I’ll give it a try, worse case it doesn’t work.

Maybe pm me your email and I'll send you a link. :)

• @Carnbot I’ve sent you a message, again thanks.

• @Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

The only way to make this work is by jailbreaking the device it's currently installed on and install a few "special utilities" to build an ipa package than can run without the original account on another jailbroken device.
    Still there's no guarantee for it to work except the extracted ipa is re-signed using an active developer account and used on a non-jailbroken iDevice.

• @rs2000 said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

The only way to make this work is by jailbreaking the device it's currently installed on and install a few "special utilities" to build an ipa package than can run without the original account on another jailbroken device.
    Still there's no guarantee for it to work except the extracted ipa is re-signed using an active developer account and used on a non-jailbroken iDevice.

Probably correct. But I’m willing to try, to find out if it can be done via iTunes.

• @knewspeak said:

@yug said:

@espiegel123 said:

@yug said:

How does iMazing differentiate between various versions of IPA files of the same App.

Every time you download a new version, it is saved as a new IPA file to the same folder

• @Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

@Carnbot said:

@knewspeak said:

Cheers, I’ve downloaded it and tried to install, but it doesn’t work, the IPA is linked to your account, which is authorised on your desktop too.

• @yug said:

@espiegel123 said:

@yug said:

I didn't know that iMazing could download from the App Store. Here is a link to their article about the feature:
    https://imazing.com/blog/imazing-2-5-download-apps

• Just tried iMazing and I was able to download KRFT from the AppStore (not available on devices AppStore anymore) and install it from PC to all my devices. Works with W10. Amazing!!

• Which version of iTunes and iOS are you using?

• @auxmux said:
    Which version of iTunes and iOS are you using?

iTunes 12.9.0.167 and iOS 13.3 on 7 Plus, SE and Air 3.

• edited January 2020

@Janosax said:

@auxmux said:

Just tried with iTunes 12.10.3.1 and iMazing works perfectly too for downloading apps from its internal AppStore, saving ipa’s and installing them on iDevices from laptop.

• Just for interest, iFunbox still works for me for file transfer (I haven't tried ipa), and I'm on an iMac running Catalina 10.15.2 and on my iPad running iPadOS 13.3.1.

• Got to try this.

• @Janosax said:

@Janosax said:

@auxmux said:

Just tried with iTunes 12.10.3.1 and iMazing works perfectly too for downloading apps from its internal AppStore, saving ipa’s and installing them on iDevices from laptop.

I haven’t tried this with KRFT just yet, I tried it with the long gone from my purchases and AppStore Cakewalk’s Z3TA+ and it’s downloaded it :o :)

• edited January 2020

@knewspeak said:

@Janosax said:

@Janosax said:

@auxmux said:

I haven’t tried this with KRFT just yet, I tried it with the long gone from my purchases and AppStore Cakewalk’s Z3TA+ and it’s downloaded it :o :)

Awesome!!! That iMazing is a game changer for iOS music making reliability.

• @Janosax said:

@knewspeak said:

@Janosax said:

@Janosax said:

@auxmux said:

Awesome!!! That iMazing is a game changer for iOS music making reliability.

It was always thought that if developers didn’t pay the developers fee to Apple then the Apps they produced were removed from the AppStore, this is kind of true, but it looks as if the IPA’s remain on the servers and iMazing has access to download them even really ancient ones.

• does anyone here has phaedra, or other old school midi sequencer apps that are no longer in the app store,
    i found a way to put a non signed .ipa or non bought .ipa still on any ipad/iphone ... & willing to extract them
    & share them ?