Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IDAM Latency

Hi folks, I'm connecting my iPad to my Mac with a lightning cable (aggregate device setup and also using a UA Apollo). I stream midi and audio well, however the latency in the audio makes it impossible to use a synth on the iPad. I've tried it with very low buffer settings on the Mac and iPad, but still get a long latency. Any solutions to this? I love the sound quality of the audio..

Comments

• @Phuture said:
    Hi folks, I'm connecting my iPad to my Mac with a lightning cable (aggregate device setup and also using a UA Apollo). I stream midi and audio well, however the latency in the audio makes it impossible to use a synth on the iPad. I've tried it with very low buffer settings on the Mac and iPad, but still get a long latency. Any solutions to this? I love the sound quality of the audio..

I believe that the latency is from using an Aggregate device setup rather than from IDAM. Aggregate devices are problematic because of the introduced latency. At least that was the case a few years ago which was the last time that I tried to use an aggregate device setup because of the inherent latency.

• Thanks for the fast reply! Do you know if there is a way to use IDAM to stream audio into my DAW (Protools)?

• @Phuture said:
    Thanks for the fast reply! Do you know if there is a way to use IDAM to stream audio into my DAW (Protools)?

When you set up IDAM, the iOS device becomes available on your Mac as an available device. You select it as an audio input source.

• Ok, so I guess this is impossible to do in Pro Tools. In PT, in order to see the iPad as an input source, I'm forced to select the iPad as an interface, which means I cannot use it in conjunction with my Apollo. The other option is to use it as an Aggregate device, but then I get all the latency. This is frustrating, because I am so close to getting it to work, and audio over the lightning cable sounds fantastic. If I'm missing something in this puzzle, please let me know.

• @Phuture said:

I have no issue but I plug lighting to USB directly into MacBook.

I have another iPad going to an audio interface as main set .

I have Ableton audio going into mixer and into that second iPad.

With all that being said....not very clearly as I re read.....I have no latency.

• I’m monitoring my iPad through Cubase without perceptible latency, using an aggregate device. Maybe try another DAW (GarageBand is free and should work fine) to see if it’s a PT problem?

• @whiteout said:
    I’m monitoring my iPad through Cubase without perceptible latency, using an aggregate device. Maybe try another DAW (GarageBand is free and should work fine) to see if it’s a PT problem?

That's a great idea. I should try that. TY