Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Modstep, suddenly it just clicked.

2»

Comments

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

@tja said:

@wim said:
    In the absence of audio clip looping (Modstep 2), I’ve been scratching the clip based workflow itch using Stagelight. I can loop midi and audio clips, and as long as I stick to AUv3 apps, which I largely do anyway, I can do everything I use Modstep for except tempo changes. The timeline is a bonus as well.

Very interesting.
    I bought the iOS version of StageLight, but never played around with it.
    That may change now, based on what you wrote!

It’s got some limitations, and knowing your passion for intuitive UI design, you may get annoyed at the way some of the controls are buried, but once understood, it works very well. But then, Modstep isn’t completely free of the occasional UI head scratcher, is it? 😉

• Ah, well. Yeah, just because it’s possible doesn’t mean it’s inspiring.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Ah, well. Yeah, just because it’s possible doesn’t mean it’s inspiring.

I do appreciate you pointing it out though. :)

• Yeah for me Modstep's strength is the midi, but hopefully they'll improve the audio bits in the next version. Would love to see it all as a separate AU module though. I think that's the future personally rather than connecting standalone islands etc.

But as a standalone app Modstep needs AU midi funtionality, that would really bring it back up to date. :)

• Most of the ModStep UX is well designed for touch interactions and I have a personal preference for flat vector designs but it does in places over simplify things for touch in annoying ways. I think ModStep ended up this way as the first version of touchAble was compromised by some UI elements being too fiddly. A classic case of over-compensating. ;)

Hopefully ModStep 2 will correct these over-compensations.

As for audio slicing capabilities on iOS, nothing quite beats Virsyn Reslice. Stockholm works well in Gadget too. And with those two being so accomplished, I don't miss this particular weakness in ModStep. But I do understand that it might be an expected strength of something known for being a very Ableton like product for iOS.

It's a pity that Christian Blomhert maintains three separate product lines, as it leads to long periods when his apps are in stasis. At the moment ModStep 2 seems to be on the backseat whilst bugs are removed from touchAble Pro. No doubt the situation will be reversed when ModStep 2 is released. But I'd far rather put up with delays and support independent developers than to give all my hard-earned to the likes of Korg, Steinberg and IK Multimedia. It's the independent developers that make iOS audio such a vibrant platform, and the innovations of independent developers keep the big developers like Korg on their toes.

• Has there been any news about Modstep 2 beyond the 2017 teaser. :o

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/23607/modstep-2/p1

• @ecamburn said:
    Has there been any news about Modstep 2 beyond the 2017 teaser. :o

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/23607/modstep-2/p1

There were 8 years between touchAble and touchAble Pro (with a few free updates). Just because there's been no recent tease activity ref ModStep 2 doesn't mean it's not happening. I think it's simply the case that Christian's attention is elsewhere at the moment. And there's nothing worse than teasing a product that's many months away from release - for developer and customers alike! :)

• @jaijai said:
    I bought modstep at launch, fiddled with it. Uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. Now I came back after a many months, installed it and it clicked. Finally my brain wrapped around and loves it.
    After reading on the forum about standard studiomux (audio & midi over cable) support in modstep, I can see the full potential. This app is powerfull!
    How is your relationship with modstep?

We have an open relationship.

No jealously and everyone is happy.

• There's a Modstep section at the zerodebug forum, might be worth posting there about version 2, could get some answers :)

• @wim said:

@tja said:

@wim said:
    In the absence of audio clip looping (Modstep 2), I’ve been scratching the clip based workflow itch using Stagelight. I can loop midi and audio clips, and as long as I stick to AUv3 apps, which I largely do anyway, I can do everything I use Modstep for except tempo changes. The timeline is a bonus as well.

Very interesting.
    I bought the iOS version of StageLight, but never played around with it.
    That may change now, based on what you wrote!

It’s got some limitations, and knowing your passion for intuitive UI design, you may get annoyed at the way some of the controls are buried, but once understood, it works very well. But then, Modstep isn’t completely free of the occasional UI head scratcher, is it? 😉

Yep, it is :D :) ;)

• @gkillmaster said:
    Glad for this thread cause I have Modstep but have alway been afraid that I would fail if I really tried to spend time learning it. So thanks!

Hang in there, buddy :smile:
    It will click at some point.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Modstep is the thinking person's Gadget

Yes it's like Gadget but for any app.