Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best ios Vocal Chain ?

What´s your best vocal chain ??

So far I have for saturation/Eq/Comp = Reamp/Fabfilter/??

Also it´s a bit of a pain to have all theese as seperate plugs, so with the IOS daws you have to click a million times back and fourth... Is there something along the lines of Slate Digital VMR or Console 1 (Both OSX) where everything is contained in one interface ?

Furthermore I miss Echoboy for delay and a good reverb. What can you recommend ??

All the best
Morten

Comments

• Are you open to being totally contained in Auria Pro for vocal recording? If so the bussing system with fabfilter and psp is unbeatable imo

• T4HT4H
    edited March 2019

As for the chain I set everything up with busses so I only need to use 4 plug-ins to apply fx to dozens of tracks. I use fabfilter everything pro-q2 eq (not the Auv3), pro-c compressor, timeless, and their reverb. It’s the closest thing to pro tools on iOS for me and works great

• My can of worms says I had better luck and better sounding vocals(despite terrible singing) using the Waves AudioTrack IAP in Cubasis with a little Reverb from RoomWorks. I totally understand there are millions of incredible options and features for vocals in Auria, but the Cubasis stuff was less likely to confuse and overcomplicate
    my results. They just need a built in autotune...

• @NoiseHorse I agree that Cubasis is extremely easy and comfortable to use. I guess the decisions are about perspective between engineer first vs performer first backgrounds. The Waves plug ins are well done also, I wish they’d add some of the CLA compressors to the mix, better yet the whole mercury bundle lol. I love the Auto-Tune idea too.

In high track count situations I run out of power in Cubasis due to lack of pro tools-ish busses where you can spend 1 plug in slot and have it run thru as many tracks as you want which is really nice for low latency high track count sessions that involve a lot of punch ins etc which is where Auria Pro shines.

For simplicity and ease I think Cubasis can’t be beat. It’s interface inspires confidence and everything from plug ins to mixer faders to the sequencer is on ‘1 page’ which is nice. If they added proper bussing and the big waves bundles it’d be my everyday goto for vocals.

• This track was composed in Nanostudio 2 originally, then the final mixing and the vocals were done in Auria. For the vocals my chain is generally something like this:

FabFilter ProC 2, with fastest attack (to kill any plosives) and a reasonably fast release, medium threshold and 4:1 ratio.

PSP Echo to add a little delay

FabFilter Pro R for some warm reverb.

The vocals are double-tracked.

I only rarely EQ my vocal (only if there is an obvious issue) but I do often have to run a de-esser. One thing I always do is to tune the reverb to bring out the timbre of the vocal (and usually use a different reverb in the verse and chorus). The nice thing about Pro-R is you can tune the reflections and the output.

In my opinion Auria really can't be beaten for this kind of stuff, the other DAWs don't really have the tools.

• Agreed - Auria Pro has all the necessary tools in a straight line, and less EQ is better for your voice is your voice.
    My favourite tool is to replace the compressor by Pro-L right on the vocal track.
    Use a setting that doesn't target maximum final loudness, but a well balanced dynamic - you might think you got a new microphone by this approach.
    Then add a compressor only (!) if you think the track needs even more expression, in most cases it's not necessary (unless your aim is top-40-larger-than-life).
    Software saturation never did cut it for me, it just blurs the sound.

• @T4H said:
    Are you open to being totally contained in Auria Pro for vocal recording? If so the bussing system with fabfilter and psp is unbeatable imo

What’s “psp”?

• @Telstar5 said:

@T4H said:
    Are you open to being totally contained in Auria Pro for vocal recording? If so the bussing system with fabfilter and psp is unbeatable imo

What’s “psp”?

I was referring to the PSP plugins Auria Pro has for purchase. I see fabfilter gets most of the love and rightfully so but psp’s plug ins are my secret weapon on desktop and thet don’t get much mention. IMO they are the color and character to fabfilters transparency, kind of like a yin and yang and are especially great in more textured less electronic-ish music

• @T4H said:

@Telstar5 said:

@T4H said:

What’s “psp”?

I was referring to the PSP plugins Auria Pro has for purchase. I see fabfilter gets most of the love and rightfully so but psp’s plug ins are my secret weapon on desktop and thet don’t get much mention. IMO they are the color and character to fabfilters transparency, kind of like a yin and yang and are especially great in more textured less electronic-ish music

That’s invaluable info. Thanks!!!

• It´s was also my fear, that it would not be possible outside Auria, which I have never really clicked with. I hope Fabfilter get´s on with launching the rest of the plugins :) Or even better Slate Digital releases the virtual mixrack for IOS. That would be perfect since that interface is build for touch and you have all processors on the same page.
    With regards to anything like Melodyne or Autotune, I have not found anything where I can fix problems in the way they can..... :smiley:

• Try Woodpressor for compression. DDMF’s Neve style 6144 EQ might work as well.

• And if you don’t want to spend the Auria plug-in dollars. You could do vocals in Audio Evolution Mobile Studio and use the excellent but inexpensive Toneboosters FX suite.

• Auria features most of the processing elements out of the box, but it's no big deal to build up similiar channel strips in AUM.
    The latter may even be an advantage because you see the routing at a glance while in Auria you have to keep the bus(ses) in mind.

Instead of Pro-L there's FAC Maxima with a rather similiar mode of operation.
    Kymatica's AUFX series features nice effects and you may add other comps/eq according to taste. Once setup the routing can be saved and reloaded.

BUT: there may be a misunderstanding about (contemporary) vocal tracks.
    In most cases they are NOT single track results, but rather 3-6 tracks and fx is treated in regard to the song's progression at certain locations.
    The most important influence is still the voice in the room (often trouble in 'bedroom situations') and the mic recording, including preamp.

Which means that the most significant limitation happens before the DAW.
    Just because a microphone appears visually 'professional' doesn't mean it performs like the gear it tries to mimmick. ;)

• Did this in Cubasis last night.
    On the vocals I used Cubasis Channel strip and Zero Reverb on most of the track and used EOS 2 reverb on one track.
    I’m a work in progress so please feel free to laugh and give me constructive advice 😂😂😂

• Contrary to popular speak you don’t need a particular DAW or expensive plugins to achieve great vocals. YouTube what people are doing with GarageBand for free. It comes down to knowing what you’re doing.

I recommend browsing YT for how to mix vocals. Then narrowing it down to how to mix on iOS or covers to songs in your preferred genre recorded on iOS. Seek and ye shall find.

• @WillieNegus said:
    Contrary to popular speak you don’t need a particular DAW or expensive plugins to achieve great vocals. YouTube what people are doing with GarageBand for free. It comes down to knowing what you’re doing.

I recommend browsing YT for how to mix vocals. Then narrowing it down to how to mix on iOS or covers to songs in your preferred genre recorded on iOS. Seek and ye shall find.

Sure, you can say that about any set of tools. You don't need a Les Paul or a Martin to play guitar, or a Steinway to play piano. However in this case if you're recording and mixing vocals life is going to be a lot easier in Auria than in GarageBand or Cubasis, for several reasons (not just the plugins).

I've recorded scratch vocals in GarageBand, Cubasis and even Gadget (although Gadget is pretty terrible since it doesn't have a linear timeline, so it can't handle vocals well since they always tend to start on the beat preceding the bar).

Garageband actually has some decent tools for processing vocals, and some nice presets to get you started, but you have very little actual control over the settings, especially the reverb, unless you use an AUv3 reverb, but since GB doesn't have sends or busses if you have multi-tracked vocals that gets costly pretty quick.

Cubasis at least does have sends, which helps, but it lacks busses and that makes mixing vocals much harder since it's tricky to balance the drums, bass, music and the vocals against each other without some form of bussing or grouping.

So Auria basically just makes the job easier, less fiddling with multiple faders and much better plugins as well. For the time being it's just objectively a better DAW to mix vocals in. That doesn't mean it's impossible to get great results in other DAWs, but it's definitely more fiddly and less controllable.

For example in Cubasis you have AUX sends, but only one effect, you can't send an AUX to a chain of effects. If you want to LPF your reverb (and IMO you should) you can't. This makes it much harder to finesse your sound.

• @richardyot said:

@WillieNegus said:
    Contrary to popular speak you don’t need a particular DAW or expensive plugins to achieve great vocals. YouTube what people are doing with GarageBand for free. It comes down to knowing what you’re doing.

Sure, you can say that about any set of tools. You don't need a Les Paul or a Martin to play guitar, or a Steinway to play piano. However in this case if you're recording and mixing vocals life is going to be a lot easier in Auria than in GarageBand or Cubasis, for several reasons (not just the plugins).

I've recorded scratch vocals in GarageBand, Cubasis and even Gadget (although Gadget is pretty terrible since it doesn't have a linear timeline, so it can't handle vocals well since they always tend to start on the beat preceding the bar).

Garageband actually has some decent tools for processing vocals, and some nice presets to get you started, but you have very little actual control over the settings, especially the reverb, unless you use an AUv3 reverb, but since GB doesn't have sends or busses if you have multi-tracked vocals that gets costly pretty quick.

Cubasis at least does have sends, which helps, but it lacks busses and that makes mixing vocals much harder since it's tricky to balance the drums, bass, music and the vocals against each other without some form of bussing or grouping.

So Auria basically just makes the job easier, less fiddling with multiple faders and much better plugins as well. For the time being it's just objectively a better DAW to mix vocals in. That doesn't mean it's impossible to get great results in other DAWs, but it's definitely more fiddly and less controllable.

For example in Cubasis you have AUX sends, but only one effect, you can't send an AUX to a chain of effects. If you want to LPF your reverb (and IMO you should) you can't. This makes it much harder to finesse your sound.

Agree and agree with extra agree.

• I was hoping IK Multimedia’s “Vocal Live” would be the amswer but it just sounds OK at best. Nothing to Auria/Fab Filter.

• For live vox on iOS, nothing comes close to the AUFX suite.

• T4HT4H
    edited March 2019

@Paa89 said:

Did this in Cubasis last night.
    On the vocals I used Cubasis Channel strip and Zero Reverb on most of the track and used EOS 2 reverb on one track.
    I’m a work in progress so please feel free to laugh and give me constructive advice 😂😂😂

Just heard this on my phone speaker and not studio monitors but from what I can pick up on here are my thoughts.

Since there is not Auto-Tune Auv3 on iOS I would run the vocal thru heavy chorusing and/or flanging and maybe even experiment and run it through some guitar pedals just to see what it sounds like. I’d play with the effects to create a vibe first and mask the missed notes with heavy fx. Auria would handle this with ease on busses which I’d also use to group the vocals together with heavy compression. And Once you’ve figured out a chain of fx you like I would re-record it (if possible) with the chain enabled, just to see if the performance changes. You’d be surprised how much better a performance can be when fx are on for you or your artist.

Sometimes the difference between an ok and great song isn’t the talent of the performer but instead is the quality of the performance and the effects used on the song that give it feel.

• @Paa89 said:

Imh ears the vocal performance seems quite nice (behind the fx veil).
    Drop me a link with the raw take and I'll setup some alternative versions with explanation what was applied. Or some 20 second section, whatever is easier.

• @OscarSouth said:
    For live vox on iOS, nothing comes close to the AUFX suite.

Yes Push is hard to beat for iOS voiceover work.

Like mentioned before having multiple tracks is key to getting a fatter voice and even using it as a delay too.

I've been wanting to do a video on how I do voiceover work with auria. This thread is really making me want to do it.

• @nic_b_nice said:

@OscarSouth said:

Like mentioned before having multiple tracks is key to getting a fatter voice and even using it as a delay too.

I've been wanting to do a video on how I do voiceover work with auria. This thread is really making me want to do it.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO

:)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@nic_b_nice said:

@OscarSouth said:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO

:)

Well hell if the famous JohnnyGoodyear is interested then I'll do it!

I'm on vacation but will start next week.

• Sorry, I just can’t help myself ...

• @wim said:
    Sorry, I just can’t help myself ...

Timeless advice is timeless. I learn something new every time I watch that video.

• @T4H said:

@Paa89 said:

Just heard this on my phone speaker and not studio monitors but from what I can pick up on here are my thoughts.

Since there is not Auto-Tune Auv3 on iOS I would run the vocal thru heavy chorusing and/or flanging and maybe even experiment and run it through some guitar pedals just to see what it sounds like. I’d play with the effects to create a vibe first and mask the missed notes with heavy fx. Auria would handle this with ease on busses which I’d also use to group the vocals together with heavy compression. And Once you’ve figured out a chain of fx you like I would re-record it (if possible) with the chain enabled, just to see if the performance changes. You’d be surprised how much better a performance can be when fx are on for you or your artist.

Sometimes the difference between an ok and great song isn’t the talent of the performer but instead is the quality of the performance and the effects used on the song that give it feel.

Niceeee thanks a lot for the feed back.will give it a try.

• @Telefunky said:

@Paa89 said:

Imh ears the vocal performance seems quite nice (behind the fx veil).
    Drop me a link with the raw take and I'll setup some alternative versions with explanation what was applied. Or some 20 second section, whatever is easier.

Ok.will pm you.thanks 😊

• After having experimented with several vocal effects: Magellan, Virsyn AudioFX, voicesynth, VoiceRack fx, I’ve finally settled for Turnado.

It’s not ideal for clean and sparkling styles but when it comes to rough and dirty (distortion, bit crush etc) I find it great. It’s also pretty good with feedback live.

• @supadom said:
    After having experimented with several vocal effects: Magellan, Virsyn AudioFX, voicesynth, VoiceRack fx, I’ve finally settled for Turnado.

It’s not ideal for clean and sparkling styles but when it comes to rough and dirty (distortion, bit crush etc) I find it great. It’s also pretty good with feedback live.

Brilliantly obvious now you mention it, will give it a try....