Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM Update

Comments

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    No, I get that, but I'm unclear on the naming conventions: what goes where? The session is the channels, and the folder is IN the session?
    I'm revealing myself not necessarily as dumb but just lazy.
    I'm just sure there's somebody who's more organized than I am that has a very clear plan for how to make the most of them.

Maybe I’m completely misunderstanding your question, but folders in AUM exist just like folders on your computer; they’re at a higher level than the sessions and provide a way to organize those sessions rather than have a single, giant list of everything you’ve ever saved. Channels are in Sessions, Sessions are in Folders

I employ a simple strategy of having a numbered series of folders, from 0-4, that allows me to group sessions based upon how “finished” they are. Since they’re numbered, they are in a tidy order, and since I make use of Audiobus as well (for state saving IAA apps and to use the slide-over control bar or Audiobus Remote), I can prepend these numbers to the Audiobus preset names and keep that somewhat organized as well (since AB sadly doesn’t have folders).

Obviously, my scheme is tailored to my workflow (live video recording of songs), but a similar approach could be useful for others to consider:
    4 = tests and experiments that are interesting for the test / experiment, but aren't really good music. Also sessions created just for beta testing.
    3 = 4 bar / 8 bar riffs / grooves that I like but need a lot of work to develop into actual songs.
    2 = tracks that I have a basic structure for, but I need to work out additional sections, details, turnarounds, etc. to finish their composition.
    1 = tracks that just need to be recorded. I have the entire song structure and details fully worked out, I just need the final performance.
    0 = fully finished, recorded works; the archive.

The only issue is that the majority of stuff is in folder 3; I might need to add a folder e.g. 5 = Tests; 4 = Riffs that I have no idea what to do with; 3 = Riffs that I have ideas for, just currently unimplemented

• AUM is my favourite app but can’t use it as part of my set up as it doesn’t receive midi clock. Will this feature be coming soon?

In the mean time apematrix works great receiving midi clock from my hardware/software set up.

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@Zippy88 If you don’t mind adding AudioBus into the mix, the upcoming AudioBus update will accept midi clock and will output Link, making it possible to make everything work together. AB and AUM are great together.

• @Zippy88 said:
    AUM is my favourite app but can’t use it as part of my set up as it doesn’t receive midi clock. Will this feature be coming soon?

In the mean time apematrix works great receiving midi clock from my hardware/software set up.

Man I use a lot AUM for live. i use MIDI LINK Sync to send clock to AUM. A must have.
    I send clock from my Octatrack to my iconnectivity Audio 4+ and my beatstep pro and my 2 iPad. It work really well.

• Hopefully we’re counting down the days for this to come out.

• @Zjenji said:
    Hopefully we’re counting down the days for this to come out.

The question now is just how long I should wait for my testers to find potential serious bugs in the latest beta. Personally I think it's ready for release but you never know, and there's a reason for beta testing :)

• Oh man this is gonna be so great!!!!!!! Can't wait!

@j_liljedahl said:

@Zjenji said:
    Hopefully we’re counting down the days for this to come out.

The question now is just how long I should wait for my testers to find potential serious bugs in the latest beta. Personally I think it's ready for release but you never know, and there's a reason for beta testing :)

I agree with you...Is deff ready 😁

• Yes, clearly it’s ready!

• I mean.... I'm totally ready! I already have test fight and everything 😅

• @Hkor said:

@Zippy88 said:
    AUM is my favourite app but can’t use it as part of my set up as it doesn’t receive midi clock. Will this feature be coming soon?

Man I use a lot AUM for live. i use MIDI LINK Sync to send clock to AUM. A must have.
    I send clock from my Octatrack to my iconnectivity Audio 4+ and my beatstep pro and my 2 iPad. It work really well.

Thanks. So if using this app I’ll be able to get link in aum to sync to midi clock from my digitone?

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@Zippy88 said:

@Hkor said:

@Zippy88 said:

Thanks. So if using this app I’ll be able to get link in aum to sync to midi clock from my

Pretty soon AudioBus will do the same.

• Thanks. App purchased. Look forward to getting home and trying it out now.

• All working really well for me so can't imagine release is far away now :)

• @Zippy88 said:

@Hkor said:

@Zippy88 said:

Thanks. So if using this app I’ll be able to get link in aum to sync to midi clock from my digitone?

Yes; this has been my solution for a while too. Like @wim says, you can wait for Audiobus to do the same soon (MIDI Link Sync quits on me if inactive for a while, and doesn’t preserve the settings). Additionally, the AUM update will bring Link start/stop support.

One thing I do wanna try when the new release drops, just for “fun”, is connecting my external clock to a StreamByter instance and generate tap tempo messages with it, then send that to AUM.

• @jipumarino said:

@Zippy88 said:

@Hkor said:

@Zippy88 said:

Yes; this has been my solution for a while too. Like @wim says, you can wait for Audiobus to do the same soon (MIDI Link Sync quits on me if inactive for a while, and doesn’t preserve the settings). Additionally, the AUM update will bring Link start/stop support.

One thing I do wanna try when the new release drops, just for “fun”, is connecting my external clock to a StreamByter instance and generate tap tempo messages with it, then send that to AUM.

That might work for matching the tempo, but it won't match the phase. AUMs tap tempo just measures the time between taps, and does not care about phase.

• @Zippy88 said:

Funny, I was about to ask the same ... MIDI Clock support would indeed make me purchase AUM. If you've ever worked with a rock-solid MIDi-synced setup, you don't wanna go back to Ableton Link.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@jipumarino said:

@Zippy88 said:

@Hkor said:

@Zippy88 said:

That might work for matching the tempo, but it won't match the phase. AUMs tap tempo just measures the time between taps, and does not care about phase.

Does AUM listen to MIDI Status Start/Stop/Continue messages?
    In combination with a fine-adjustable bpm that might be a first workaround.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@jipumarino said:

@Zippy88 said:

@Hkor said:

@Zippy88 said:

Ah, you're totally right, it will be just for "fun" then ;)

• @rs2000 said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@jipumarino said:

@Zippy88 said:

@Hkor said:

@Zippy88 said:

Does AUM listen to MIDI Status Start/Stop/Continue messages?
    In combination with a fine-adjustable bpm that might be a first workaround.

I use beatstep pro with AUM. My sync solution is that when i push play on bsp, it also sends midi command to aum that is mapped to start/pause and stop button to reset. I just need to match the tempo and when ever i want to stop the sequence i need to first push it to pause from bsp and then push stop on bsp to reset the song positio in aum.

• I know I keep bringing it up, but I just want to report that using the upcoming Audiobus release to take midi clock and turn that into controlling AUM tempo via Link works great!

I’ve tested it using Auria Pro’s midi clock, with a complex tempo track, ramping up tempo, changing suddenly, etc. Both Audiobus and AUM have been tracking this well. I’ve done the same with Patterning 2 (even though Patterning 2 has Link), and with external midi clock from a NanoKEY Studio.

OK, I’ll stop. But just wanted people to know there’s another great solution for midi clock to Link just around the corner. B)

• @wim said:
    I know I keep bringing it up, but I just want to report that using the upcoming Audiobus release to take midi clock and turn that into controlling AUM tempo via Link works great!

So many pain points are about to be relieved. I'm hoping Start/Stop with "Link" solves my frustrations with the LumBeats Drumming Apps and iBassist. If not then it's probably something Luis Martinez can address.
    This will be great for the "Keyboard Arrangers" style musicians that keep buying hardware keyboards when IOS is so close to matching many of those features. It might also shine the light on a growth area for developers to mine for new users:

The Keyboard Player uses the left hand to guide in realtime a complete "virtual band" (in a box) and IAP's are created for the hundreds of musical styles. iBassist allows this for Bass, Drums, Percussionist, and 2 Chord based instruments of your choice via MIDI with a few choices of rhythms. As more Drumming styles are added to the catalog Luis has added baselines to reflect that style in updates. Navichord is also useful for a lot of styles with more focus on the chord styles offered.

• Start stop Link is really good, but I’m hoping we get quicker ways of turning it off in the future, as that’s the main issue I have with it. Sometimes I want it on, sometimes off and most times Link is buried in a menu in most apps.
    :)

• Yeh. I think it must be some kind of standard dialog that comes with the Link API. I wonder if it’s even possible for developers to bypass. I can’t remember any apps off-hand that don’t have it.

• Yeah, the best implementation I can think of is in Senode, it's right on the menu bar at the top. One tap brings up the Link menu, really hope this becomes more the norm :). Being able to assign a controller would be useful too of course.

• @wim said:
    I know I keep bringing it up, but I just want to report that using the upcoming Audiobus release to take midi clock and turn that into controlling AUM tempo via Link works great!

I’ve tested it using Auria Pro’s midi clock, with a complex tempo track, ramping up tempo, changing suddenly, etc. Both Audiobus and AUM have been tracking this well. I’ve done the same with Patterning 2 (even though Patterning 2 has Link), and with external midi clock from a NanoKEY Studio.

OK, I’ll stop. But just wanted people to know there’s another great solution for midi clock to Link just around the corner. B)

Rad!

• AB and AUM are the ultimate compliment to each other. Like PB & J.

• @Zjenji said:
    AB and AUM are the ultimate compliment to each other. Like PB & J.

PREACH! So true...

• edited April 2019

@Zjenji said:

How so? I've honestly never bought AUM because I don't have a lot of AU apps and don't intend on going wild investing in them now. I do have AB3. Given that limitation is it still useful to have AUM?

• @fprintf said:

@Zjenji said:

How so? I've honestly never bought AUM because I don't have a lot of AU apps and don't intend on going wild investing in them now. I do have AB3. Given that limitation is it still useful to have AUM?

If AB3 works for you, then no.

• @fprintf said:

@Zjenji said:

I don't think AUM can hurt anyone 😁
    My most used app, great developer, and is a sign of amazing progress on iOS and what's to come.... As is ab3, but they are both crucial imo