Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM Update

Comments

• Sorry to railroad this thread 😁 Just gotta make it all about me! Split off to here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/32309/ab-beta-preset-merging

• edited April 2019

@j_liljedahl Glad to hear that you’re still working on AUFX. I still use them regularly and it will be nice to have them in auv3.

• Suspense is killing me. Any beta testers heard from @j_liljedahl as to when he is wrapping up the beta test?

• edited April 2019

Release candidate is out... usually update follows that within a week or so.
    Probably this weekend... maybe next week.

• Just made some small minor fixes this minute.

• BTW, here's the full list of news coming in the update, to wet your appetite :)

MAJOR NEW FEATURES

• Finally, updated to Ableton Link 3 with start/stop support!
    • Add new "MIDI strip" channel type to hold MIDI-only AU plugins.
    • Allow importing channels from another session. (Tap IMPORT add-button, or long-press a session file and choose 'Import channels')
    • Allow easy duplication of channel strip.
    • Allow loading sessions via MIDI actions. Its configuration is saved globally instead of in the session.
    • Add MIDI program change as recognized MIDI control messages.
    • Add MIDI ctrl for tap tempo.
    • Add MIDI action 'Show Plugin' for AUv3 nodes.
    • Add MIDI actions for AUv3 preset-loading.
    • Avoid stuck notes when bypassing/disconnecting MIDI sources or changing MIDI destination filter/transpose
    • Show AU contextName (if set) in plugin title and as node icon subtitle, long-press AU plugin title bar to edit.

IMPROVEMENTS

• Re-apply preferred samplerate on audio interface route change.
    • Remember preferred sample rate on app launch.
    • Save preferred instead of current sample rate in session.
    • Bring keyboard to front if currently behind the plugin window when tapping plugin window keyboard button.
    • Send error string to Audiobus if preset load failed.
    • MIDI matrix: highlight source and dest on touch-down.
    • Support upside-down portrait on iPhone.
    • Improve display of long names in MIDI control table.
    • MIDI learn consistency: always ignore the message that triggered the learn.
    • Tweak node param-knob and menu button layout for consistency.
    • Only update latency compensation on node-bypass if the node has latency.
    • Save project: save when tapping Return on keyboard.
    • Various minor UI and layout tweaks.
    • Keep connections to MIDI Control from permanent MIDI sources on load/new session.
    • Minor optimizations for MIDI Control.

BUGFIXES

• AUv3 Transpose: ignore extra bytes in note messages (hello Thesys).
    • Clear MIDI matrix when loading session so it isn't keeping connections from previous session.
    • Don't crash when trying to MIDI-control parameters of a crashed AU plugin.
    • NodePicker: avoid keyboard on iPhone.
    • NodePicker: fix memory leak if dismissed while in search mode.
    • NodePicker: hide 'remove slot' button while searching.
    • NodePicker: hide search if collection empty.
    • Make sure we don't free MIDI sources/destinations too early. Hopefully avoids rare crash...
    • Improve MIDI safety when AU plugin was invalidated (crashed).
    • Update MIDI matrix correctly if visible while loading session.

• Slacker.😏

• @j_liljedahl wow, what a release! You had previously reported some inherent AU issues that could cause crashes. Do the bugfixes that are noted address those AU challenges?

• Oh man this is gonna be so great!!!!!!! Can't wait!

• @j_liljedahl Looks very promising! Take your time to finish it.

• I'm so thrilled about this.
    But does anyone else feel as if they're not getting the most out of AUM? I keep learning new aspects of it all the time, which makes me yearn for a really solid video tutorial.

For instance: I don't totally grok the file convention when folders were added. I can't seem to get my head around them. More to the point, I'm not sure how they would help me.

Maybe what we need is a thread with AUM's Best Practices?

Nice! Will it also show the plugin in a maximized window, if that was the previous state or if there is a preference saying “Open plug-ins in maximized state”?

• Tines > Kleverb > DAW Cassette is gonna be my first saved channel :)

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @j_liljedahl wow, what a release! You had previously reported some inherent AU issues that could cause crashes. Do the bugfixes that are noted address those AU challenges?

As far as I can tell, the only crash that might still happen is due to an iOS bug, where it crashes while trying to fetch the icon for an AU plugin. This affects all AU hosts. @Michael has submitted a bug report to Apple about this.
    After release, as the update gets used by all the users out there, I'll get statistics about any other crashes happening that haven't come up during beta testing.

• edited April 2019

@bleep said:

Add MIDI action 'Show Plugin' for AUv3 nodes.

Nice! Will it also show the plugin in a maximized window, if that was the previous state or if there is a preference saying “Open plug-ins in maximized state”?

It will open the window in its previous state. (At least that's the intention!)

• MIDI ctrl for tap tempo

So does this mean an AU like ENSO could send midi to AUM to control project tempo?

• @j_liljedahl said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @j_liljedahl wow, what a release! You had previously reported some inherent AU issues that could cause crashes. Do the bugfixes that are noted address those AU challenges?

As far as I can tell, the only crash that might still happen is due to an iOS bug, where it crashes while trying to fetch the icon for an AU plugin. This affects all AU hosts. @Michael has submitted a bug report to Apple about this.
    After release, as the update gets used by all the users out there, I'll get statistics about any other crashes happening that haven't come up during beta testing.

Got it. Thanks for the report!

• @j_liljedahl said:
    • Allow importing channels from another session. (Tap IMPORT add-button, or long-press a session file and choose 'Import channels')

Do you get to pick a channel or does it always import all channels?

• @jipumarino said:

@j_liljedahl said:

You can pick.

• @recccp said:

@jipumarino said:

@j_liljedahl said:

You can pick.

Amazing. I demand a "Show your support" $9.99 IAP :D

• @nerVe said:
    MIDI ctrl for tap tempo

So does this mean an AU like ENSO could send midi to AUM to control project tempo?

Enso doesn't send out midi. It can be controlled via midi. It will also pick up host (AUM) tempo automatically (like every AU).
    You can assign your controller/midi pedal -> set AUM tempo with tap

• @jipumarino said:

@recccp said:

@jipumarino said:

@j_liljedahl said:

You can pick.

+1

• Oh that looks very very good @recccp 😁 I can’t wait!

• @jipumarino said:

@recccp said:

@jipumarino said:

@j_liljedahl said:

You can pick.

That’s a huge update.. can only imagine importing Axon and Photon (state saving please) tracks..

If no IAP.. where is the tip jar?

• @j_liljedahl said:
    BTW, here's the full list of news coming in the update, to wet your appetite :)

MAJOR NEW FEATURES

• Finally, updated to Ableton Link 3 with start/stop support!
    • Add new "MIDI strip" channel type to hold MIDI-only AU plugins.
    • Allow easy duplication of channel strip.
    • Allow loading sessions via MIDI actions. Its configuration is saved globally instead of in the session.
    • Add MIDI program change as recognized MIDI control messages.
    • Add MIDI ctrl for tap tempo.
    • Add MIDI actions for AUv3 preset-loading.
    • Avoid stuck notes when bypassing/disconnecting MIDI sources or changing MIDI destination filter/transpose
    • Show AU contextName (if set) in plugin title and as node icon subtitle, long-press AU plugin title bar to edit.

IMPROVEMENTS

• Re-apply preferred samplerate on audio interface route change.
    • Remember preferred sample rate on app launch.
    • Save preferred instead of current sample rate in session.
    • Bring keyboard to front if currently behind the plugin window when tapping plugin window keyboard button.
    • Send error string to Audiobus if preset load failed.
    • MIDI matrix: highlight source and dest on touch-down.
    • Support upside-down portrait on iPhone.
    • Improve display of long names in MIDI control table.
    • MIDI learn consistency: always ignore the message that triggered the learn.
    • Tweak node param-knob and menu button layout for consistency.
    • Only update latency compensation on node-bypass if the node has latency.
    • Save project: save when tapping Return on keyboard.
    • Various minor UI and layout tweaks.
    • Keep connections to MIDI Control from permanent MIDI sources on load/new session.
    • Minor optimizations for MIDI Control.

BUGFIXES

• AUv3 Transpose: ignore extra bytes in note messages (hello Thesys).
    • Clear MIDI matrix when loading session so it isn't keeping connections from previous session.
    • Don't crash when trying to MIDI-control parameters of a crashed AU plugin.
    • NodePicker: avoid keyboard on iPhone.
    • NodePicker: fix memory leak if dismissed while in search mode.
    • NodePicker: hide 'remove slot' button while searching.
    • NodePicker: hide search if collection empty.
    • Make sure we don't free MIDI sources/destinations too early. Hopefully avoids rare crash...
    • Improve MIDI safety when AU plugin was invalidated (crashed).
    • Update MIDI matrix correctly if visible while loading session.

Ka-Boom!

• MY BODY IS READY (AND MY iPAD)

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I'm so thrilled about this.
    But does anyone else feel as if they're not getting the most out of AUM? I keep learning new aspects of it all the time, which makes me yearn for a really solid video tutorial.

AUM is a real workhorse... it can be used in several different ways. It would be really hard to make a comprehensive tutorial.

For instance: I don't totally grok the file convention when folders were added. I can't seem to get my head around them. More to the point, I'm not sure how they would help me.

Helps you to keep recorded audio organised.
    Instead of having them all together in the same folder, each project by default will create a subfolder, or you can define/create one.

• @recccp said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

AUM is a real workhorse... it can be used in several different ways. It would be really hard to make a comprehensive tutorial.

Well, there are tutorials for BM3, which is even more sprawling. But there are loads of tutorials that are pretty interesting. There's a link of maybe a half-dozen on the Kymatica site.

Instead of having them all together in the same folder, each project by default will create a subfolder, or you can define/create one.

No, I get that, but I'm unclear on the naming conventions: what goes where? The session is the channels, and the folder is IN the session?
    I'm revealing myself not necessarily as dumb but just lazy.
    I'm just sure there's somebody who's more organized than I am that has a very clear plan for how to make the most of them.

• edited April 2019

@ExAsperis99 said:

@recccp said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Well, there are tutorials for BM3, which is even more sprawling. But there are loads of tutorials that are pretty interesting. There's a link of maybe a half-dozen on the Kymatica site.

No, I get that, but I'm unclear on the naming conventions: what goes where? The session is the channels, and the folder is IN the session?
    I'm revealing myself not necessarily as dumb but just lazy.
    I'm just sure there's somebody who's more organized than I am that has a very clear plan for how to make the most of them.

Sorry, yeah I mixed the two there...

-You can create/define subfolders for session files.
    On My iPad/AUM - can be useful to keep different use scenarios or variants of the same setup separated.

-Recorded audio
    AudioShare Files/AUM Recordings/ - keeps your recordings separated per session.

Tbh I'm super lazy about these things, but for me this is the most convenient approach...
    I hate to start anything with saving/naming, because most of the time it's just a jam, yet it's handy to have the audio in a separate folder.
    If it's something more serious then you obviously want to keep everything organised.
    Not sure if there is best way. Use it the way it makes sense to you.