Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Video demo of Polythemus AU midi app Out Now!!

Comments

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    I'd still appreciate it if you could do a bit more work on your input/knobs... They are still way too schizophrenic. :)

yep I hear you its on my list

• Well first 5 mins play getting some pleasing results just using BS-16 3 instances with different instruments. I haven’t got a clue what I’m doing or what Polyphemus is doing but with a few Reverb effects thrown in sounds pretty good.

• Bought this and MidiEcho to have a play. Agreed with @MonkeyDrummer about knob tweaking difficulty, but this does allow some great ways to mix up chords. Figured out echo thing after a little while (and that suffers from loose knobs even more) but otherwise great fun to be had with a mix of rhythms and timbres.

• _we need a list now of all iOS mono synths to try stacking different variations polyphonic! _

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Well first 5 mins play getting some pleasing results just using BS-16 3 instances with different instruments. I haven’t got a clue what I’m doing or what Polyphemus is doing but with a few Reverb effects thrown in sounds pretty good.

Yes random allocations work, but you get the best results knowing which notes are going to go where and playing it that way if you can - think of it as a keyboard training tool too!!

• @Jumpercollins said:
    _we need a list now of all iOS mono synths to try stacking different variations polyphonic! _

or poly ones with portamento.
    You need to add external hardware mono synths to that list too......

• It works great and is about as simple and straightforward as an app can be!

• Loving this, works perfectly!

4 voice poly with hardware synths that took under a minute to setup.

• @BroCoast said:
    Loving this, works perfectly!

4 voice poly with hardware synths that took under a minute to setup

whats your hardware setup?

• edited March 2019

2019 - the year for iOS midi, the gems keep on coming. Will be trying later after I buy it. 😁 Will be fun for hardware too like multi-timbral synths like JV2080, TX802, or Blofeld.

• @midiSequencer said:

@BroCoast said:
    Loving this, works perfectly!

4 voice poly with hardware synths that took under a minute to setup

whats your hardware setup?

To test it out I'm using:

Moog Minitaur
    Korg Odyssey
    Make Noise O Coast
    Roland SH-2

I already had those hooked up, working great with Keep lowest and the Minitaur set to voice one.

• @midiSequencer I’m just using the AUM keyboard, but no issues yet. How stable is the AUM beta?

• @Jocphone said:

@iamspoon said:

I also wondered if you had considered adding transpose controls per voice similar to how you can currently set volumes?

Wouldn't you set this in the synth for corresponding voice rather than put extra complexity in this plugin? @midiSequencer

FWIW, I think it would be more convenient/ useful to have this in the App rather than setting the pitch offsets on the destination synth as it would be easier to setup and modify, plus you could then apply further MIDI processing per voice if required.
    I would personally use this much more often than volume but I appreciate everyone has different uses and priorities.

• @Zjenji said:
    @midiSequencer I’m just using the AUM keyboard, but no issues yet. How stable is the AUM beta?

For me,very but Jonatan has alot of people testing AUM before he releases it.

• Photon recorded 3 note chords => Run through Scalebud => Polythemus => 3 separate instances of Scalar to...
    => Zeeon
    => iSEM
    => Aparillo

Dunno if it’s overkill but I can change keys with ScaleBud, and with Scalar instances arrange “inversions”

• @audiblevideo said:
    Photon recorded 3 note chords => Run through Scalebud => Polythemus => 3 separate instances of Scalar to...
    => Zeeon
    => iSEM
    => Aparillo

Dunno if it’s overkill but I can change keys with ScaleBud, and with Scalar instances arrange “inversions”

So with Scalar you can choose which synth plays individual notes in your 3 note chord?

• edited March 2019

@midiSequencer

I might be missing the purpose of Polythemus...
    I was using chords from Photon (recorded to one pad) and piping them through Polythemus this way!

And routing each of the 3 outs from Polythemus to 3 separate instances of Scalar to alter those notes.

• @iamspoon said:

@Jocphone said:

@iamspoon said:

I also wondered if you had considered adding transpose controls per voice similar to how you can currently set volumes?

Wouldn't you set this in the synth for corresponding voice rather than put extra complexity in this plugin? @midiSequencer

FWIW, I think it would be more convenient/ useful to have this in the App rather than setting the pitch offsets on the destination synth as it would be easier to setup and modify, plus you could then apply further MIDI processing per voice if required.
    I would personally use this much more often than volume but I appreciate everyone has different uses and priorities.

Yep, true, that was the same argument I made for having built-in start note delays to make strum effects but I also understand that it is good to keep the complexity down within each individual app.

The whole being greater than the sum of all parts and all that!

• @audiblevideo said:
    @midiSequencer

I might be missing the purpose of Polythemus...
    I was using chords from Photon (recorded to one pad) and piping them through Polythemus this way!

And routing each of the 3 outs from Polythemus to 3 separate instances of Scalar to alter those notes.

Nope thats fine, you basically need overlapping notes (eg a chord) for Polythemus to direct those layered notes to different channels.
    You can do that by playing(like i did in the video) or using a pre-recording(like Photon) or a sequencer/arp to supply the input.
    Since it outputs midi its fine to process them again before you render it on a synth.

btw if you use a sequencer(like Quantum that allows note overlaps) into Polythemus you can create rhythmic repeating textures with the voice allocation/choice of synth. Might show this in my next video

• edited March 2019

Good but I faced some “stuck note” syndrom. Used in AUM :

KB-1(chord)->Polythemus-> 3 instances of jubal flute

Please advise

Edit: it might come from kb-1 as I haven’t faced the same issue with other chords generators...

• @cuscolima said:
    Good but I faced some “stuck note” syndrom. Used in AUM :

KB-1(chord)->Polythemus-> 3 instances of jubal flute

Please advise

Edit: it might come from kb-1 as I haven’t faced the same issue with other chords generators...

Not seen stuck notes with Polythemus before - did you change midi channel between note on & off?
    Will try kb-1 setup you have to see if I can get them.

• I was getting stuck notes with KB1 in chord and scale modes too. AUM keyboard and using Xequence Keys wasn't an issue though.

• Did I read correctly that this only works in AUM at the moment? No AB3 or apeMatrix yet?

• @nondes said:
    I was getting stuck notes with KB1 in chord and scale modes too. AUM keyboard and using Xequence Keys wasn't an issue though.

thx will check out KB1 in these modes which I think is ape

• @skiphunt said:
    Did I read correctly that this only works in AUM at the moment? No AB3 or apeMatrix yet?

You need an audio host that allows you to route multiple outs from Polythemus to somewhere else.
    e.g AUM has named ports you can select as input called Polythemus @ Ch1:1:Polythemus 1 and Polythemus @ Ch1:1:Polythemus 2 etc up to 4.

I don't think any other host recognises these AU outputs yet.

Garageband - forget it - it doesn't even have au midi!
    Audiobus - Michael is working on that now - should be in the next beta we get
    ApeMatrix - Alessandro was impressed enough with Polythemus & making iVCS3 polyphonic he agreed to include that - not heard back yet though

as for others I don't think they do either - AUM is ahead of the curve!

• @midiSequencer said:

@skiphunt said:
    Did I read correctly that this only works in AUM at the moment? No AB3 or apeMatrix yet?

You need an audio host that allows you to route multiple outs from Polythemus to somewhere else.
    e.g AUM has named ports you can select as input called Polythemus @ Ch1:1:Polythemus 1 and Polythemus @ Ch1:1:Polythemus 2 etc up to 4.

I don't think any other host recognises these AU outputs yet.

Garageband - forget it - it doesn't even have au midi!
    Audiobus - Michael is working on that now - should be in the next beta we get
    ApeMatrix - Alessandro was impressed enough with Polythemus & making iVCS3 polyphonic he agreed to include that - not heard back yet though

as for others I don't think they do either - AUM is ahead of the curve!

Ah... that must explain why I can route the pads out separately in MidiEcho when using with AUM, but I can’t do it in apeMatrix?

• edited March 2019

@midiSequencer said:

@nondes said:
    I was getting stuck notes with KB1 in chord and scale modes too. AUM keyboard and using Xequence Keys wasn't an issue though.

@midiSequencer Can confirm if you feed KB-1 through Polythemus you get stuck notes. Tried sending chain into 3 instances of Mood. Been in touch with KB-1 dev on Slack as it appears to be KB-1 at fault as if you use Navichord or other midi senders no problem.

• edited March 2019

@Jumpercollins said:

@midiSequencer said:

@nondes said:

@midiSequencer Can confirm if you feed KB-1 through Polythemus you get stuck notes. Tried sending chain into 3 instances of Mood. Been in touch with KB-1 dev on Slack as it appears to be KB-1 at fault as if you use Navichord or other midi senders no problem.

Not tried this today, will try this in earnest tomorrow. I do have KB-1.

Is there anything in particular you are doing on KB-1 that does this? I know its an mpe device (so midi notes are on successive midi channels) - the only bug I can think in KB-1 is if it doesn't match up the note on/off channels, so can test that.

I've not used the chords etc, so maybe a problem there?

If we can replicate it then I can debug it and see if its KB-1 or my app.

• @midiSequencer said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@midiSequencer said:

@nondes said:

Not tried this today, will try this in earnest tomorrow. I do have KB-1.

Is there anything in particular you are doing on KB-1 that does this? I know its an mpe device (so midi notes are on successive midi channels) - the only bug I can think in KB-1 is if it doesn't match up the note on/off channels, so can test that.

I've not used the chords etc, so maybe a problem there?

If we can replicate it then I can debug it and see if its KB-1 or my app.

@midiSequencer Kai Aras said try it with MPE off on KB-1 I tried it still had a stuck note after a few mins playing. Also may not be recommended but put Photon AU into Polyphemus controlling mood synth and had a stuck note also so not sure which app is the culprit?