Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Optimal workflow, offload many iOS creations to a desktop DAW (e.g. for composition in Ableton)

Hi All,

While AudioShare, Files app, Documents by Readdle... certainly help move/copy/share audio between apps, I'm now wondering how best to offboard all the various audio files for composition, mixing, and producing on a desktop DAW like Ableton.

Do folks just connect the iPad to their computer (e.g. Windows Desktop) and use iTunes to go through all the various Apps, their data folders, etc... and copying out all the audio files? Something feels pretty clunk about that.

Any recommendations? I don't think I'd mind completely moving all audio files completely off the iPad to free up space.

Comments

• I sometimes do it that way, eg use Audioshare WiFi feature....but my favourite way is to record live into Ableton tracks via multiple Audio outs with iconnectAudio4. No mucking about with Files. Works well to combine the iPad with desktop and jam with it that way.

• edited March 2019

Yes, it can be direct recording the iPad's output or transfer of recorded sections from iPad.

The iConnectAudio4+ is particularly useful because it acts as 2 interfaces simultanously for both the desktop DAW and the tablet. It transfers digitally on virtual channels between those 2 environments.

Audioshare (and other app's) WiFi mode is quite convenient if you have a bookmark and your destination (download) folder set on the PC/Mac.

But you can as well use a NAS storage device in your WLan for file exchange. Many just fake the role of iCloud from the software point of view, which means you'll find them under the iCloud options on your iPad.

• Ah, that makes sense. As far as I can tell, though, AudioShare only captures things directly from AUM and anything you 'send to' or 'share with' it, right? It doesn't just do a query *.(wav, mp3, etc), right? So would need to go to each App and send individually or bulk send, if supported? I'm thinking from iTunes and/or searching with something like 'Everything' for Windows might be easiest?

• What you think of doesn't exist in IOS land - all apps are sandboxed and can't request files from outside their very own domain.
    But they can offer a kind of storage service to other apps (which is what Audioshare does by the send/receive operation).
    It became a kind of standad for audio apps and isn't limited to AUM.

• Gadget > Dropbox > PC

I've never made a full track on my phone outside of Gadget - in part because it's so easy to export each track all at once.