Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KORG Gadget Taipei MIDI Out | The UPs and DOWNs - haQ attaQ 313

KORG Gadget Taipei finally adds MIDI Out for Gadget. To many this might just be a nice little update, but for veteran KORG Gadget users this is so much more. We’ve been waiting for years for something like this. Taipei isn’t perfect perfect however and in this episode of haQ attaQ, I’ll be going over the ups and downs with this new Gadget. Here’s the stuff you need to think about!

#haqattaq

Comments

• edited March 2019

Taipei is ultimately a handy gadget to have, and falls in line with most of what Gadget is at this point: The sum of it's whole greater than any one part.

As I noted in the main G2 thread, it works splendidly with ChordPolyPad. Well, splendidly for the simple reason that it's now easy to control Gadget with the ridiculously awesome CPP.

Now you've got the double whammy of MIDI controllers for Gadget from developer Laurent Colson, ChordPolyPad and StepPolyArp Unit, with the latter already syncing up nicely in it's step mode (with the transport added).

I have yet to try Taipei to StepPolyArp Unit (then back to Gadget), but considering the depth of SPAu there's bound to be a trick or two you can pull off. Maybe I'll dive into it later.

• Very interesting video, thanks for sharing. Taipei is very easy to use in fact. What I liked the most in your video was...the new features in AUM...beta version it seems ;o)

by the way, you should pronounce Zurick with a « k » at the end ;o)

• Awesome! Thanks Haq!

i just tried sending midi from Taipei to SPA and then sent SPA midi out to a Bass track in Gadget! Was careful to select different midi in and out channels to prevent a loop and it worked awesome! Created an awesome Bass loop with SPA into Gadget so good to finally have this!

the cool thing is this, I didn’t have to leave Gadget to do the chord changes, I did them in Taipei in realtime while the Bass track recorded the midi coming from SPA!

• Just did a quick exploration of the possibilities of the Taipei + StepPolyArp Unit combo, and as I suspected it does some neat things, mainly with being able to control the arp settings in SPAu with cc messages from Taipei (gate, type, octave, etc.). Also allows for changing patterns in SPAu.

Main thing though with this Taipei out to CPP/SPAu then back to Gadget? Ease of control, and a way to expand on the types of control you can have from directly inside Gadget, without having to switch to another app!

That’s a big deal, and it’s also relatively easy to set up, just Gadget into a controller then back to Gadget... Without having to switch back to the controller outside of Gadget! (I keep emphasizing that, because it’s a small step past one of the stumbling blocks on iOS)

• Great info!!

i would really love a project template that is setup for us non midi experts.

if you get a chance that would rock! Like all you said changing patterns, octave etc!

thanks in advance!

• I'd certainly love to try any AB projects folks has setup, too! :)

• I don't plan on making any, as part of my enthusiasm stems from not having to use extra apps to set this up, just use Taipei with either ChordPolyPad or StepPolyArp Unit.

It's really just a matter of getting the MIDI in/out working, which like I say may involve choosing the generic connection in CPP and SPAu. From there it's just matching the cc controls you want to use.

For SPAu you can check the last page in the manual (tap the icon in the upper right, then tap on the link to the last page in the manual's index) to see what cc controls can be mapped to Taipei.

• I found this japanese video showing how to setup and use Taipei and AUM to control iElectribe 😊

• The 'Default' nanoKey Studio mapping must surely be messed up as it makes absolutely no sense to change the CC number using the external controller, it's the value of the CC that should be changed :D

• @jakoB_haQ what Ipad do You own? 12,9 1st generation? Did You tried increase buffor in AUM?

• Great video haq!

• @cuscolima said:
    Very interesting video, thanks for sharing. Taipei is very easy to use in fact. What I liked the most in your video was...the new features in AUM...beta version it seems ;o)

Ops, I’ve been pronouncing it wrong in every video where I’ve featured it facepalm

• @Samu said:
    The 'Default' nanoKey Studio mapping must surely be messed up as it makes absolutely no sense to change the CC number using the external controller, it's the value of the CC that should be changed :D

It was completely baffled by this when I discovered it. Could it be a mistake? A bug? It makes no sense for it to “work” like this ...

• @MAtrixplan said:
    @jakoB_haQ what Ipad do You own? 12,9 1st generation? Did You tried increase buffor in AUM?

Yes that’s the iPad Pro I have. Yes I’ll have to increase buffer size in AUM to. Is a bit annoying. I’ve ran this type of setup several times before with even more apps loaded in the background without a hitch. But after the latest Gadget update ... yeah. Way more resource heavy now.

• Hey @jakoB_haQ good video, I have a lot of similar headaches getting my hardware synths to record midi into sequencers without the problem of double notes. A lot of times the effect is subtle, notes played on the keyboard will just sound different/louder than notes from the sequencer.

Ideally the sequencer has the capacity to turn “thru” or “echo” off. The hardware synths sometimes include their own solution to breaking the loop, usually called “local off”, buried in the midi settings. This makes it so the keyboard and knobs no longer affect the synth, they just send midi data out. Then the synth only responds to midi data on the input.

Kind of an interesting way to work, because then you could be playing an unrelated, different instrument (like a soft synth/sampler) from your synth keyboard, while the synth is being sequenced. I much prefer to turn the thru/echo off on the sequencer, though, because having the synth in local off mode means it doesn’t work without being plugged into the sequencer.

• I’m happy to have Taipei, and it’s fun to play with driving gadget driving other synths, but other than as a novelty, I can’t say I see much practical use for it.

If I had hardware synths, it would be different because (I assume) I could now get that external audio back into Zurich. But only driving other synths, I now have to do all the setup to host, record, trim and import. If Zurich had AudioBus/IAA input I could see it.

If Gadget was my ideal sequencing environment, I could see using it as the central hub for driving everything. While I like the piano roll enough, I’m not fond of the 16 bar scene thing and the way songs are put together. And, Gadget is a resource hog like no other, so it’s awfully heavyweight for simply sequencing.

So, I’m sticking to sequencing Gadget and my other synths primarily from Xequence, DAWs, or with apps like Photon (when its loop timing issues are sorted out).

But still, it’s fun, and a good way to experiment with outside sounds when you get something good going in Gadget, but don’t find what you need internally (which for me is rare).

• @jakoB_haQ said:

@cuscolima said:
    Very interesting video, thanks for sharing. Taipei is very easy to use in fact. What I liked the most in your video was...the new features in AUM...beta version it seems ;o)

Ops, I’ve been pronouncing it wrong in every video where I’ve featured it facepalm

No, your idiosyncratic accent is fine! Your pronunciation is closer to the German anyway! The HOAST — I can’t even come close to replicating how you pronounce that word — can say it how he wants!

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@jakoB_haQ said:

@cuscolima said:

No, your idiosyncratic accent is fine! Your pronunciation is closer to the German anyway! The HOAST — I can’t even come close to replicating how you pronounce that word — can say it how he wants!

Yep. Jakob, please don’t change a thing! We love ya like you are.

• Yeah, I completely messed up my KORG Gadget Taipei video. I’m going to have to take that video down, re-edit it and upload it again. I made this short livestream to show what I did wrong.

Thanks for all the heads up about the wrong MIDI CC mapping thing. And also thanks for the tips about the Local On/Off. I’m talking about both these things in the video.

I’m going to take down and re-edit the original Taipei video.

• edited March 2019

Thanks for your nice video Jakob :)

That’s odd as I have no issues with Nanokey Studio in Gadget Native Mode, CC values are well triggered.

Also, when Native Mode is disabled and I want to use midi learn instead, I don’t choose destination but value, example Knob 1 value and NOT knob 1 dest. Works as it should :smile:

EDIT: just have seen your second video!! Note also that NKS Native Mode does automap assignations natively on values, not destinations.