Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wish for MIDI Gadget scene triggers...

It would be really great to trigger Gadget scenes via MIDI for Live performances. Especially now v2 has Taipei with the ability to sequence external iOS apps and external gear.

Having used Ableton Live and set up triggers for scenes on several of my MIDI controllers, I've noticed that as you keep working on the track in Ableton - moving scenes, duplicating them, deleting them and so on - you mess up the MIDI assignments to the various scenes.

For example - if you had 4 scenes initially that were assigned to 4 consecutive pads then deleted the second scene, when you press the second pad - hoping to hear what is now the second scene (originally the third) - nothing happens.

Perhaps there could be a mode where scene triggers are set up so that in Gadget (or Ableton) you set the MIDI CC or note you want to assign to the first scene, and then it automatically assigns consecutive CCs or notes to the following scenes. That way you would only need to set the Pad 1 Scene trigger (which could even be stored in global / interface settings rather than preset settings) once and not have to set it up for each scene in each piece of music. As you add / move / delete scene the MIDI ccs would automatically be assigned to the order you have them on the screen.

As well as being quicker for the user to assign it would take up less screen real estate in the setting panels - in Gadget it could simply be one more value in the transport controls MIDI learn box.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Yes, this has been something people have consistently assumed was there and had to be told that it’s not. It would be great.

It took Korg a couple of years to even add transport control for anything other than the NanoKONTROL Studio. And they still don’t map even the mixer controls for generic controllers. But, at least they have eventually done a few of the midi things people have asked, so there may be some hope eventually.

The only Korg presence I know of here is @davis_korgrd, who is a great guy. I believe he’s a programmer, and probably not one who has much sway over product direction. So, to get any attention for your request you probably need to contact them directly. I’m too lazy to look into where to do that though.

• edited March 2019

@wim said:
    Yes, this has been something people have consistently assumed was there and had to be told that it’s not. It would be great.
    It took Korg a couple of years to even add transport control for anything other than the NanoKONTROL Studio. And they still don’t map even the mixer controls for generic controllers. But, at least they have eventually done a few of the midi things people have asked, so there may be some hope eventually.
    The only Korg presence I know of here is , who is a great guy. I believe he’s a programmer, and probably not one who has much sway over product direction. So, to get any attention for your request you probably need to contact them directly. I’m too lazy to look into where to do that though.

Yeah I remember looking for transport controls via midi when I first got Gadget (although without scenes they are not so much use for me). I’ve not used it much for a year or so and hadn’t noticed they were on MIDI learn. Good to see they are slowly listening to requests and ideas for improvement.

You’re right I should try and find a more direct contact to post the suggestion.

• Not a solution to your problem but a hack you might be interested in:
    Launching scenes using a Bluetooth controller (keyboard, keypad, game controller) by using the iOS accessibility options. (for the first 10 scenes on screen in Gadget portrait mode)
    Details: See
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/31245/how-to-remotely-control-any-ios-app#latest

As soon as Apple fixes the iOS12 bug that emulating touching screen positions is no more possible using MIDI notes, launching scenes via MIDI notes could be done again.
    It's still possible in iOS 11 today.

• Yeah, please post in the Korg forums, I hope they eventually add this... :)

• @rs2000 said:
    Not a solution to your problem but a hack you might be interested in:
    Launching scenes using a Bluetooth controller (keyboard, keypad, game controller) by using the iOS accessibility options. (for the first 10 scenes on screen in Gadget portrait mode)
    Details: See
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/31245/how-to-remotely-control-any-ios-app#latest

As soon as Apple fixes the iOS12 bug that emulating touching screen positions is no more possible using MIDI notes, launching scenes via MIDI notes could be done again.
    It's still possible in iOS 11 today.

That's very interesting!! thanks @rs2000 - I had not spotted that before.
    Am I right that in order for this to work the iPad needs to be showing the arrangement page on screen? (and in Portrait you get maximum number of scenes showing )

That's not the end of the world - once the iOS bug is sorted and these recipes can be sent via MIDI I might give it a whirl.

• @ricksteruk said:
    That's very interesting!! thanks @rs2000 - I had not spotted that before.
    Am I right that in order for this to work the iPad needs to be showing the arrangement page on screen? (and in Portrait you get maximum number of scenes showing )

Exactly. If you scroll down then you could launch the other scenes, whatever is currently under the tap positions you've previously recorded.

That's not the end of the world - once the iOS bug is sorted and these recipes can be sent via MIDI I might give it a whirl.

Mapping scene launches to a BT keyboard (most of us have one somewhere, right?) might be a workaround in the meantime until Apple fixes it.