Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - March 2019

Comments

• encenc
    edited March 2019

@fattigman said:
    Hi all!
    I’m back with another reggae tune.
    Some of the apps I used:
    Roli Noise
    iFretless Bass
    Future Drummer
    Bs-16i
    Cubasis
    I spent so much time with this song that I’m sick of it. I hope you like it though.
    Here is the link

vocals sound very loud in the mix on my studio monitors !? the instrumentation sounds well accomplished... just cant hear it very well in the mix. Bass especially is very light even though the positioning of my monitors tends to exaggerate bass. what monitors were you using for mixing?

• encenc
    edited March 2019

@DefRobot said:
    I’ll catch up on songs I’ve not covered later.

This is the first from scratch, new recording for Kerosene.
    Quite a complicated process!
    Write the song, send to each band member, get them to write and play parts and then send stems to me via Dropbox.
    Those stems were then imported into Auria and I added vocals and other bits.
    Lots of FabFilters and mixing, then Bob’s your uncle!

Love the recording process... its the future :D ... it doesn't matter if you hate the bass player or the guitar player has bad breath ... you dont have to be in the same room as them. I remember what a big thing was made of Paul Mc Cartney and Micheal Jacksons ebony and ivory being recorded on both sides of the Atlantic without the two being in the studio together... Kersone take it to a whole new level

• @enc said:

@fattigman said:
    Hi all!
    Some of the apps I used:
    Roli Noise
    iFretless Bass
    Future Drummer
    Bs-16i
    Cubasis
    I spent so much time with this song that I’m sick of it. I hope you like it though.
    Here is the link

vocals sound very loud in the mix on my studio monitors !? the instrumentation sounds well accomplished... just cant hear it very well in the mix. Bass especially is very light even though the positioning of my monitors tends to exaggerate bass. what monitors were you using for mixing?

Pure Brilliance.. Especially as I’m I’m a Dennis Brown fan... YEAH!...

• @enc said:

@fattigman said:
    Hi all!
    Some of the apps I used:
    Roli Noise
    iFretless Bass
    Future Drummer
    Bs-16i
    Cubasis
    Here is the link

Thank you for your feedback. I actually don’t own any monitors. I use my headphones, I know that’s not how to do it but I don’t have space for more equipment right now. I do my mixing laying in bed most of the time 😊. I really want to learn to mix, can you recommend any online courses? I think I will invest in a real bass and learn to play it this year to get that phat bass sound.

• edited March 2019

@studs1966 said:

@enc said:

@fattigman said:
    Hi all!
    Some of the apps I used:
    Roli Noise
    iFretless Bass
    Future Drummer
    Bs-16i
    Cubasis
    Here is the link

Pure Brilliance.. Especially as I’m I’m a Dennis Brown fan... YEAH!...

Thank you very much. I’m a big Dennis Brown as well. He’s a big inspiration for the way I sing.

• encenc
    edited March 2019

@fattigman said:

@enc said:

@fattigman said:
    Hi all!
    Some of the apps I used:
    Roli Noise
    iFretless Bass
    Future Drummer
    Bs-16i
    Cubasis
    Here is the link

Thank you for your feedback. I actually don’t own any monitors. I use my headphones, I know that’s not how to do it but I don’t have space for more equipment right now. I do my mixing laying in bed most of the time 😊. I really want to learn to mix, can you recommend any online courses? .

I'm no expert.. faaaar from it, only good advice I can give is take a break from the track you are mixing. Coming back to a track after a day or two (or longer)will make you hear it In a whole new light. You mention spending spending so much time on the track you became sick of it .. so a perfect candidate. I'm not aware of online courses .. I've never looked ! But there's a wealth of tutorials both amature and pro on YouTube ;)

• @enc said:

I'm no expert.. faaaar from it, only good advice I can give is take a break from the track you are mixing. Coming back to a track after a day or two (or longer)will make you hear it In a whole new light. You mention spending spending so much time on the track you became sick of it .. so a perfect candidate. I'm not aware of online courses .. I've never looked ! But there's a wealth of tutorials both amature and pro on YouTube ;)

Thanks a lot, I'll try that.

• @enc said:

@bedheadproducer said:

my birthday month submission :)

think id like this but theres too much stereo effect with the geetars going on... any chace of mix with the drums and synths to the fore ?

lol, thanks for your input...but I designed this tune to be listened to on headphones and made two guitar parts that both play something completely different.....on Purpose. It's possible that if you don't listen on headphones or smack in the middle between a stereo field of two speakers, that it will sound too jumbled, but if you do treat it as non mono material you may hear it differently. I'm not sure, because in my head I hear both parts , hard left and right, even if I'm not listening close to my stereo.

• @bedheadproducer said:

@enc said:

@bedheadproducer said:

my birthday month submission :)

think id like this but theres too much stereo effect with the geetars going on... any chace of mix with the drums and synths to the fore ?

lol, thanks for your input...but I designed this tune to be listened to on headphones and made two guitar parts that both play something completely different.....on Purpose. It's possible that if you don't listen on headphones or smack in the middle between a stereo field of two speakers, that it will sound too jumbled, but if you do treat it as non mono material you may hear it differently. I'm not sure, because in my head I hear both parts , hard left and right, even if I'm not listening close to my stereo.

ahh ! ill have a listen through the cans ;)

• @fattigman i would have to say that you definetly need to start exercising bass . if you lived in my country or are willing to pay for shipping from california i will donate a very playable bass.. as for your mix i do think the back ups should be up alittle maybe try bringing down the main vox a half a db.. my suggestion to your question is listen to music that are in the style you want to make.. do some back and forth listening between that and your mix . also try listening to both in other systems , in your car, other headphones, cheap headphones. everywhere you can manage to play it on.

• @richardyot i really like this .. id have to agree that its some of your best work. love the vocal placement and drums also sound great. good headroom. .. it really sounds good in my opion and the louder parts are also great

• @bedheadproducer cool song . i like the guitar mixed in .. would love to hear another change like the first one .. or a drumbeat change.. really trippy effect you got there going on in one side.. ..

• @studs1966 your music always sounds great. id have to say its almost like a pause in the middle where a comercial hits and its all profesional.. theres really nothing i can say . i might want a little more bass or less treble.. .as it is a little bit on the trebly side .

• @slava great submission. really tight instrumental. cant really understand vocals . maybe if it was up a little . the guitars sound great.. i would love to hear more of the bass and feel more of the kick drum, other than that try placing your guitars in drifrent panning through out the song a little more

• @JonathanMac if this is a rough mix then your final mix must be great. this is a good mix of things . it definet suits your target of a relaxed sound. love that bass coming in . good job

• @Michael_R_Grant your tracknsounds like a great sound track for a 90s video game. its quite interesting.

• @DefRobot great song man. and mix. i really like the bass and drums .well and guitar. vocals and vocal melody are cool too . id have to say good job on this one,the loop fit in there just right too. nothing over crowding. it all sounds very well tracked so id give all the guys the compliment

• @trackedout said:

I started to listen through iPhone built in speaker and could tell straight off it was s good mix. Plugged in speakers which confirmed a very crisp sound. Every element easy to pick out in the mix and well recorded. Vocal was a bit loud through my monitors but this kinda suits the vocal style.
    Nice work.

• @trackedout said:

Really good intro guitar riff, catchy and memorable. Vocal is good as well, good melodies and your usual laid-back delivery. Overall a really nice song :)

The mix is a bit fizzy sounding to me though, like it's all been through a HPF and then a cheap cassette recorder. A cleaner and warmer mix would probably work better for me.

• @trackedout said:
    @fattigman i would have to say that you definetly need to start exercising bass . if you lived in my country or are willing to pay for shipping from california i will donate a very playable bass.. as for your mix i do think the back ups should be up alittle maybe try bringing down the main vox a half a db.. my suggestion to your question is listen to music that are in the style you want to make.. do some back and forth listening between that and your mix . also try listening to both in other systems , in your car, other headphones, cheap headphones. everywhere you can manage to play it on.

Thank you for the offer that’s very kind of you. I live in Sweden and I will buy a bass as soon as I have decided which one suites me. Thanks for the tip about mixing.

• Finally! I finished it :smiley: - My first submission for Song of The Month.

The track was composed in Gadget on iPad (and Mac), then exported to Ableton Live for mixing and recording the final vocal takes. All the sounds are Gadget synths.

• @ricksteruk nice song, I like the melody. Reminds me of synth music from the 80’s, your voice fits the style. The mix was also good.

• @fattigman said:
    @ricksteruk nice song, I like the melody. Reminds me of synth music from the 80’s, your voice fits the style. The mix was also good.

Thanks! Yes it's definitely influenced by the 80s electronic pop of my childhood!

I've just had a listen to your tune too. I really like reggae :smile: Are they your vocals? They sound fantastic - both the performance and the dub delay, and I really like the arrangement of the tune as well. As others have mentioned the bass is especially low in the mix - and also perhaps the drums, whilst the vocal is too much in front.

What I usually do when finishing mixes is this:
    1) Listen to a professionally released tune that I trust and know well from the same genre - then compare the mix of my tune to see if I am in the same ballpark.
    2) Listen to my finished mix on several types of speaker - headphones, studio monitors, phone, iPad, car stereo. Especially speaker you are used to listening to music on regularly. Then you will know if there is too much bass, treble, etc.

• @ricksteruk yes, that’s me singing and thanks for all the good advices.

• @DrRinkel said:

This is my track for this month. Made in Nanostudio 2 and the first track from my side project Tapir Music.
    https://open.spotify.com/track/4u7SrppuJH3IrEBhjdByqj?si=WiGQTdlTQTio9l9wtlYHhg
    I'm very curious what you think, enjoy!

I really like the chilled out vibe of this track. The mix is great and I think the instruments chosen work really well together - the strings and bell/chime are lovely.

I was half expecting a vocal melody to come in at some point. I’d say this track is a great vibe and it would be good to hear it develop a little more to break away from the main riff.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

This is maybe progressive house? I dunno. It’s something, anyway. Made in an hour. The main layer is all Elektron Analog Rytm Mk1 performed live into Ableton. Then another drum loop added and 2 instances of Wavetable.

I like the dark and moody synth that plays the main theme - it’s quite spooky in a good way. When the nice pad comes in about halfway through it gives a lift and a bit of release from the tension of the first section.

I do miss hearing a Bassline - and I feel like it needs a bit more musical variety - maybe just swapping from first section to second earlier in the piece would help change things up a bit more.

• @PFAUX said:
    My entry for the month:

I'm really interested in constructive feedback, and I struggled with this one in a lot of ways. It's all part of the grander learning process, and I really love that these threads and this community encourages that.

It was composed in NanStudio 2, and used Quanta (4 instances), Troublemaker, ReSlice, and Slate for the tracks. Effects were Perferator, Kosmonaut, Shimmer, and EoS2.

I liked the atmosphere in the introduction, and the way you use short stabby sections of the drums. I especially like the ending section where these come together. As others have mentioned the bass synth is a bit too loud in the mix. I felt like the main section needed a bit more focus - perhaps some chords or a melody line to pull things together a bit more - and then that would even more effective when you dropped to your cool ambient section.

• @DefRobot said:
    I’ll catch up on songs I’ve not covered later.

This is the first from scratch, new recording for Kerosene.
    Quite a complicated process!
    Write the song, send to each band member, get them to write and play parts and then send stems to me via Dropbox.
    Those stems were then imported into Auria and I added vocals and other bits.
    Lots of FabFilters and mixing, then Bob’s your uncle!

It’s a really well written and arranged song! You’ve done a good job making the mix hang together with all the parts being recorded separately and Dropboxed to you.
    I like the change between the chilled verses with their sustained guitar chords and the more full on choruses. My only real criticism would be that I think the hihats are bit fizzy and perhaps there is too much low end rumble on the kick / toms.

• edited March 2019

@trackedout said:

Really catchy and quirky track! I love the laid back and lazy style of it - especially the vocal delivery. I do agree with others that the mix has too a bit too much high frequency. Really nice tune.