Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - March 2019

Comments

• This is my track for this month. Made in Nanostudio 2 and the first track from my side project Tapir Music.

https://open.spotify.com/track/4u7SrppuJH3IrEBhjdByqj?si=WiGQTdlTQTio9l9wtlYHhg

I'm very curious what you think, enjoy!

• @DrRinkel said:
    This is my track for this month. Made in Nanostudio 2 and the first track from my side project Tapir Music.

Nice groove and a nice riff, like the mixture of synth and keys and the call-and-response motif between them, the riff is catchy and inventive.

It's a little short and repetitive though, I think the idea could maybe benefit from some more development, so that the track takes you on more of a journey.

• @bedheadproducer Loved the guitar work, great tones, and I really liked when the guitar echoed the vocal line. That moment really tied the whole song together for me. In the beginning the lower distorted bass tones sounded a little at odds with the brighter, cleaner sounding guitar, I stopped noticing quickly though, and think its a good stylistic choice. Great tune.

@studs1966 Your snippet has a really great grove to it. I almost get tired of the fast pace, but those little breaks cut through the speed and give it enough breathing room to really keep rolling strong. That was a really smart way to manage the busy dynamics of that beat.

@JonathanMac Your song is beautiful work. I really like this track. There's a really good amount of variation in the melody that keeps it interesting, but revisits consistent moods/themes and doesn't sound wandering.

@Slava This is a really nice mix. It's challenging to keep multiple distorted guitars from getting too muddy. All the guitar tracks have a distinct sound and can be heard separately in the mix. It feels like the vocals are missing something, but I don't have enough experience with the genre to offer a suggestion. Overall though, well played, well structured, and well mixed. I love the guitar melodies, and the lead line at the end is a treat.

• edited March 2019

This is maybe progressive house? I dunno. It’s something, anyway. Made in an hour. The main layer is all Elektron Analog Rytm Mk1 performed live into Ableton. Then another drum loop added and 2 instances of Wavetable.

• My entry for the month:

I'm really interested in constructive feedback, and I struggled with this one in a lot of ways. It's all part of the grander learning process, and I really love that these threads and this community encourages that.

It was composed in NanStudio 2, and used Quanta (4 instances), Troublemaker, ReSlice, and Slate for the tracks. Effects were Perferator, Kosmonaut, Shimmer, and EoS2.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited March 2019

I’ll catch up on songs I’ve not covered later.

This is the first from scratch, new recording for Kerosene.
    Quite a complicated process!
    Write the song, send to each band member, get them to write and play parts and then send stems to me via Dropbox.
    Those stems were then imported into Auria and I added vocals and other bits.
    Lots of FabFilters and mixing, then Bob’s your uncle!

• @DefRobot said:

Write the song, send to each band member, get them to write and play parts and then send stems to me via Dropbox.

Good stuff, I really like that muscular drum intro with the kick/snare/toms leading the way, followed by the grooving bassline and then the expansive guitar that comes in afterwards. I think this track really shows the benefits of working collectively: all the parts are strong and well constructed, the drums really drive the changes in the song and the interaction of the various instruments really helps to give the song its structure.

It's a dynamic and well-written and performed song, well structured with no fat and no wasted space.

• @PFAUX said:
    My entry for the month:

I'm really interested in constructive feedback, and I struggled with this one in a lot of ways. It's all part of the grander learning process, and I really love that these threads and this community encourages that.

It was composed in NanStudio 2, and used Quanta (4 instances), Troublemaker, ReSlice, and Slate for the tracks. Effects were Perferator, Kosmonaut, Shimmer, and EoS2.

It's pretty experimental with some interesting ideas. I personally like a blend of weird and avant-garde with catchiness/grooviness mixed in so my comments are based on this personal perspective, which obviously might differ from yours :)

For me the rhythm is a little too disjointed to be able to really get into the track - if it had more groove I would definitely prefer it, but even when the rhythm settles down the emphasis is on the one rather than the two and four, which makes it less funky and groovy IMO. Most tracks that groove hinge on the two and four IMO. I think it's perfectly possible to make weird electronica that still grooves and I think this is one area where this track could improve.

The little melodies that appear throughout are pretty cool, and I like the contrast they provide with the rest of the track, like a little light in the darkness. There's some nice tension there with the bass and overall strangeness that the melodic synths play against, and even though the melodies are simple I think they're very effective, and their subtlety is also something I really like about them.

• edited March 2019

I'm hoping to join the club this month - I've been meaning to join since about Nov 2017 - it's the pesky business of actually finishing tracks off.. So I am hoping this club and you good people will get my backside into gear ;)

@richardyot said:

My entry for the month. Composed in Nanostudio 2, Vocals and final mix in Auria:

I really like this tune Richard - really catchy chorus, nice guitar effects and I really like the drum sounds. It makes me realise that it is possible to get convincing acoustic kits going if you know what you're doing!

@bedheadproducer said:

my birthday month submission :)

Yeah! it's a funky little number. It makes me want to get up on the dance floor :smile: I loved the guitar solo too. I think it would be nice if there was a little more vocal in there - perhaps the delicious could come in a bit earlier on in the track.. I think its about 1 min 30 till it starts. It's a cheesy idea but how about just chopping the vocal sample up even more and doing some You.. You.. . YOU.. You make me. Make me feel... Feel! (like I said cheesy ;) )

@studs1966 said:

Here’s my snippet of the month.. :D ...

Summer holidays are here ;) Cool groove! To my ears the hi hats / top end hits are a little over compressed and getting a bit gnarly.. but maybe that was what you were after?

@Slava said:

My five pennies for this holiday. A bit of melodic death metal:

Wow! I don't listen to a lot of metal these days - takes me back to seeing Metallica at Milton Keynes bowl ( think it was on the black album tour with Enter Sandman ). Sounds very well produced! Perhaps the guitar solos are a little quiet and even perhaps could do with more mids ;) I like the choir vocals at 3 mins or so

@JonathanMac said:

Long time no post. Took a “vacation” from forums and music a little to deal with some life stuff. Even deleted my profile to keep from being distracted. Anyway, back on here with a new name...been working on this song off and on for four months.
    Song concept is to pace a yoga breath 4 seconds in, 4 seconds out. So the tempo is 60 beats per minute, for ease of breath rhythm. Also, A happy accident, it’s written in Dorian mode, which I had no idea what that was at the time. After studying modes last week, I realized it was Dorian. Kind of useful I think as the song swells up in a minor chord for four beats and then comes back down in a major chord for 4 beats...repeat. Dorian is said to invoke a sad or serious but hopeful feeling, so I think it fits.
    Written and mixed 100% on an iPad Air 2. Apps used were Korg Gadget, Korg Module.

>

Really nice vibe! I'm really impressed that all the sounds are from Korg Gadget and Module! Is the cello from Module? I will have to load that up again and check out the presets properly. The only thing I could say is that to my ears it sounds like the whole mix needs a bit more high frequencies.

I'll listen to more tunes later and comment - @richardyot is it better to comment like this all in one go - or one post per song?
    ( Back to working on my track now.... )

• @ricksteruk said:
    I'm hoping to join the club this month - I've been meaning to join since about Nov 2017 - it's the pesky business of actually finishing tracks off.. So I am hoping this club and you good people will get my backside into gear ;)

Welcome to the Club. It's time to stop loitering there at the rear and get on dancefloor to show us your moves B)

• @richardyot said:

@ricksteruk said:

Welcome to the Club. It's time to stop loitering there at the rear and get on dancefloor to show us your moves B)

Haha! :wink: Just been recording some vocals.. gotta finish this one off soon.. I WILL !!!

• @richardyot said:

@DefRobot said:

Good stuff, I really like that muscular drum intro with the kick/snare/toms leading the way, followed by the grooving bassline and then the expansive guitar that comes in afterwards. I think this track really shows the benefits of working collectively: all the parts are strong and well constructed, the drums really drive the changes in the song and the interaction of the various instruments really helps to give the song its structure.

It's a dynamic and well-written and performed song, well structured with no fat and no wasted space.

@JonathanMac said:
    @DefRobot wow great song. Mix is great, vocals stay clear even when heavy guitar comes in. Drums are clear, kick and bass guitar both come through. Nice work!

Interesting chord progression in the verse: Amin, B, Bmin, A
    A little unconventional, gives kind of an unsettled feeling, a musical way of saying the main statement is coming/developing... then a more conventional chord progression in the chorus where the main them of
    the song is basically saying musically “here it is”. Love it!

Cheers!
    Guitarist informed me it’s half a tone different in the verse and there’s some 7ths to make the progression work?
    Sounds too technical for me!

• @studs1966
    Real feel good music! Is it Balearic?
    Not mad on the intro piano.
    Catchy as a trawler, good stuff

• edited March 2019

@JonathanMac How lovely and calming!
    I can almost picture the nature it evokes!
    Great piece and well done.

• @Slava
    Proper death metal!
    I know this is good for the genre.
    A lot disparage this stuff, but there’s a lot that goes into this.
    I’d make that lead/solo line nastier or more distorted though...

• Hi all!
    I’m back with another reggae tune.
    Some of the apps I used:
    Roli Noise
    iFretless Bass
    Future Drummer
    Bs-16i
    Cubasis
    I spent so much time with this song that I’m sick of it. I hope you like it though.
    Here is the link

• @DrRinkel said:
    This is my track for this month. Made in Nanostudio 2 and the first track from my side project Tapir Music.

Nice beat. It would be nice with some more vocals

• @DefRobot said:

Very good song. The mix is very nicely balanced. I like the vocals too. Just great there’s nothing I would like to change.

• @fattigman said:
    Hi all!
    I’m back with another reggae tune.
    Some of the apps I used:
    Roli Noise
    iFretless Bass
    Future Drummer
    Bs-16i
    Cubasis
    I spent so much time with this song that I’m sick of it. I hope you like it though.
    Here is the link

Nice cover - lots to like about it, especially the vocal. The drums are almost drum&bass like, more electronic than reggae, but it's they're cool. The vocal is reverb-heavy (in a good way) and that adds nicely to the atmosphere. Nice arrangement overall, but as usual it's your vocal performance that carries the track. Like the section in french as well!

• @richardyot thank you very much for the kind words. I have a very musically talented friend who listened to the song and adviced me to make the vocals more significant in the mix so that’s what I tried to do.

• encenc
    edited March 2019

@bedheadproducer said:

my birthday month submission :)

think id like this but theres too much stereo effect with the geetars going on... any chace of mix with the drums and synths to the fore ?

• @studs1966 said:

pro as ever. would love to see how you put your tracks together ;)

• @JonathanMac said:
    Long time no post. Took a “vacation” from forums and music a little to deal with some life stuff. Even deleted my profile to keep from being distracted. Anyway, back on here with a new name...been working on this song off and on for four months.

Song concept is to pace a yoga breath 4 seconds in, 4 seconds out. So the tempo is 60 beats per minute, for ease of breath rhythm. Also, A happy accident, it’s written in Dorian mode, which I had no idea what that was at the time. After studying modes last week, I realized it was Dorian. Kind of useful I think as the song swells up in a minor chord for four beats and then comes back down in a major chord for 4 beats...repeat. Dorian is said to invoke a sad or serious but hopeful feeling, so I think it fits.
    Written and mixed 100% on an iPad Air 2. Apps used were Korg Gadget, Korg Module.

very nice. Very Thomas Newman.

• @DrRinkel said:

strange... it played first time i clicked on it ... second time i wanted to listen in-depth it wouldn't play !?
    first impressions were good

• A> @enc said:

@studs1966 said:

pro as ever. would love to see how you put your tracks together ;)

Thanks mate.. So would I?.. :D
    Basically, the key is, once you have the Key of the vocal right... Play the chords to it.. Once you’ve got the chords right... Everything works from the chords (BassLine, leads, etc)..
    Just use your experimenting in the funky realm to bring it out.. Thats why Midi is such a beautiful thing... Hope that helps?... ;)

• @PFAUX said:
    My entry for the month:

i agree with the other guy about use of the square wave base line. id tone it down and add some sub bass.. would sound awesome over a big system B) also the stereo percussion gets a little monotonous maybe real in the stereo effect or add a bit of variation. plenty of potential in this track i think.