Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gadget 2/Taipei/AUM Workflow

Interested to see what the easiest path is to incorporating ios synths into Gadget tracks. Taipei really expands things. The only trick is where to host apps and record their output.

Would you just record stems in AUM? Is there a way to record all Gadget tracks and other synths directly into Cubasis?

Comments

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

You can host Gadget directly in Cubasis if that’s where you want the audio to end up. No need for AUM. But, since Gadget only has one IAA output, you need to solo the playback for each track. It’s probably easier and faster to just export the stems.

As for Taipei output, the only reason I can think of that you’d do that in Cubasis is if you just like the piano roll better in Gadget. Otherwise why not just plug the notes in directly in Cubasis? I guess, if you came up with something in Gadget and then thought it would sound better on another synth, then changing that synth out for Taipei would make sense too.

I don’t think I’ll use Taipei that much until there’s a way to get the resulting audio back into Gadget directly. I’m more prone to go the other way round - sequencing from outside Gadget to get out of its tracking paradigm. Xequence into Gadget is more my speed.

• I'll probably use Gadget hosted in AUM sending midi from Taipei to 2-3 synths in AUM. I'll then record 4-8-16 bar loops and import those into Bilbao & Abu, or Zurich if longer than 10 seconds (I checked update - still 10 sec max length for Bilbao and Abu samples unfortunately ).

I suppose I could try recording longer loops in AUM and importing them across multiple scenes in a Zurich - I've never tried longer than 16 bars imported .., but I think I remember Gadget will split up longer samples across multiple scenes ..? Am I right?

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

It splits up live recordings, but not imported files. You have to load the file in again another scene, then set the start point to where the previous track left off for clips longer than 16 bars.

• Ah I see. Not ideal. But still - recording up to 16 bar loops works well - I've been doing a similar workflow for a long time now - just using external sequencers instead of Taipei. I think it's a decent workflow.

I guess you could also split up say a 32 bar loop in AudioShare into two 16 bar loops and import each to a separate Zurich - might be easier than setting start points in gadget

• I tried hosting Gadget in Cubasis and using Taipei to play Cubasis hosted synths. It works but could not get Cubasis to record the midi for some reason. You can use real-time freeze to record the audio but the timing is not so good.

AUM has a much better mixer and midi routing but I think we need it to support Ableton link start/stop to synchronise them together.

• Seems like a bit a pfaff without enough bananas for the average monkey.

• Yes the really need to implement when using Taipei a way of getting audio back into Gadget workflow directly.

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

Strange. I had no trouble at all recording the midi output from Taipei in Cubasis.

[edit] Cubasis doesn’t seem to send a “play” message to Gadget when you hit record like it does when you hit play. The workaround is to position the Cubasis playhead ahead of where you want to record, then hit record when you reach that point.

• edited March 2019

So has Taipei effectively become the Pianoroll/ sequencer AudioUnit everyone’s been waiting for? Open Gadget in AUM, setup how many instances of Taipei you want.

Route out on different midi channels to selected synths of your choice.

Record and automate using midi CC.

Build your tracks and scenes implement fades/ repeats fade outs !

All linked up with Ableton Link with external AU effects thrown in.

i think it’s all become pretty clever. Fugue Machine at least may not get a lot of use from now on.

• Actually, just noticed that Gadget is not using the latest Link SDK as it is not showing an option for Sync Start/Stop in the settings, so they need to update Gadget as well. They have implemented start/stop in Electribe Wave.

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

Not for me.

You can do the same in most DAWs. If Gadget’s piano roll and scenes are your favorite sequencing environment then sure. If not then I can’t say I see it that way. Unless I’m missing something you’ve discovered that I haven’t.

• No state saving, and still requires app-switching so definitely not the same convenience as AU, unless multi-instance is the only aspect of AU you were looking for.

• I am interested in trying to use Taipei as a CC clip sequencer, but not a full note sequencer.

It seems to have a lot of automation sources. The CC editing is pretty easy in Gadget.

• I think Modstep is still much better for this if that's the workflow you are looking for. However if you want to combine Gadget synths it's a good option for sure.