Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Koala - the ultimate pocket-sized sampler

Comments

• Turn on interapp sync in Koala and turn off Ableton link.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Turn on interapp sync in Koala and turn off Ableton link.

If i do that, Can i connect AUM with Ableton via Link ?

• @raimundoarriagada said:

@espiegel123 said:
    Turn on interapp sync in Koala and turn off Ableton link.

If i do that, Can i connect AUM with Ableton via Link ?

You will have to try it out and see. I am not sure.

• If you’re using AUM I really recommend using IAA sync and not using Ableton link directly in koala but using it in AUM. If you have Link and IAA sync enabled in koala, I think it’s going to have a bit of a fight between the 2 sync signals

• @elf_audio said:
    If you’re using AUM I really recommend using IAA sync and not using Ableton link directly in koala but using it in AUM. If you have Link and IAA sync enabled in koala, I think it’s going to have a bit of a fight between the 2 sync signals

While you are here: everybody loves Koala but when are you bringing some new out? Have you got any new apps on the backburner under development?

• @Simon haha yeah, got a bunch of things on the back burner, but koala keeps calling me - I basically work on new koala features/bugs full-time these days, maybe more than full-time :#
    I have so many half finished projects on my hard-drive, hopefully there's some time coming up after next koala release where I can try to package some of them.

• @elf_audio said:
    @Simon haha yeah, got a bunch of things on the back burner, but koala keeps calling me - I basically work on new koala features/bugs full-time these days, maybe more than full-time :#
    I have so many half finished projects on my hard-drive, hopefully there's some time coming up after next koala release where I can try to package some of them.

So if it's not too cheeky to ask, are you in the fortunate position now where Koala makes enough bank that you can afford to work on it full-time?

• @Michael_R_Grant right at this moment, elf audio’s proceeds can support me, and has done for a little while. It’s not loads, not enough to bring another member of staff on, but it definitely helps, and I haven’t had to do a freelance job this year. Idk how long it will last but I’m very grateful I don’t have to return to boring graphics programming jobs quite yet!

• @elf_audio said:
    @Michael_R_Grant right at this moment, elf audio’s proceeds can support me, and has done for a little while. It’s not loads, not enough to bring another member of staff on, but it definitely helps, and I haven’t had to do a freelance job this year. Idk how long it will last but I’m very grateful I don’t have to return to boring graphics programming jobs quite yet!

Great news, and well deserved!

• Yes, that is wonderful to hear. You definitely deserve that and more @elf_audio.

• @elf_audio said:
    @Simon haha yeah, got a bunch of things on the back burner, but koala keeps calling me - I basically work on new koala features/bugs full-time these days, maybe more than full-time :#

I really hope it’s more effects. I just love Koala FX 👍

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ehehehe said:
    My main wishes are a fade in/out tool and crossfade looping.

My current workaround for fade in/out is to use attack, release and ‘bounce’.

A separate ‘loop start’ would be my wish, this way it would be easier to create instrument pads with a transient and a sustain portion.

Other nice to have things would be to route velocity to to add a start offset to the sample start-point.

We’ll see where Koala goes, @elf_audio is a cool dev so we migt even get so e surprises down the line :sunglasses:

• If it's 'throwing our wishes into the ether time', then I'll make an observation

I've been working a lot with the PO33 sampler, and what takes that comparatively much more fundamental sampler to the next dimension of performance is:
    1. Parameter locking on parameters and master effects
    2. Pattern chaining (as a half-way point towards a real song mode)

These two features provide a layer of performance abstraction that really lets things flow and get out of the loop, into the forward momentum of the compositional flow.

Making contrasting reference to the feature rich BM3 sampler, BM3 gets those features mentioned via it's timeline arrangement and automation. That's a maximalist solution to the feature set, while PO33 is a suuuper minimalist approach. Both are implemented well in their own domains.

Koala exists in the middle (plus a huge bonus of super slick resampling) with a kind of 'maxi-minimalist' feel and right now is currently more of a 'BM3 sampler lite' without the timeline and automation. To take a step towards being a 'PO33 sampler plus', with it's own signature implementation of those dimensional performance abstraction features available at the same level of immediacy that Koala offers the rest of it's feature set, would be a massive leap forward.

What would parameter locking/automation and pattern chaining/song mode look like in Koala?

@elf_audio hope this doesn't come across as feature-begging -- it's intended as a bit of insight from my own experiences that might spark some different ideas in your own imagination.

• @OscarSouth said:
    If it's 'throwing our wishes into the ether time', then I'll make an observation

I've been working a lot with the PO33 sampler, and what takes that comparatively much more fundamental sampler to the next dimension of performance is:
    1. Parameter locking on parameters and master effects
    2. Pattern chaining (as a half-way point towards a real song mode)

These two features provide a layer of performance abstraction that really lets things flow and get out of the loop, into the forward momentum of the compositional flow.

Making contrasting reference to the feature rich BM3 sampler, BM3 gets those features mentioned via it's timeline arrangement and automation. That's a maximalist solution to the feature set, while PO33 is a suuuper minimalist approach. Both are implemented well in their own domains.

Koala exists in the middle (plus a huge bonus of super slick resampling) with a kind of 'maxi-minimalist' feel and right now is currently more of a 'BM3 sampler lite' without the timeline and automation. To take a step towards being a 'PO33 sampler plus', with it's own signature implementation of those dimensional performance abstraction features available at the same level of immediacy that Koala offers the rest of it's feature set, would be a massive leap forward.

What would parameter locking/automation and pattern chaining/song mode look like in Koala?

@elf_audio hope this doesn't come across as feature-begging -- it's intended as a bit of insight from my own experiences that might spark some different ideas in your own imagination.

Well this pretty much came about instantly in practice with the AU'ing of Koala.

• @elf_audio said:
    @Michael_R_Grant right at this moment, elf audio’s proceeds can support me, and has done for a little while. It’s not loads, not enough to bring another member of staff on, but it definitely helps, and I haven’t had to do a freelance job this year. Idk how long it will last but I’m very grateful I don’t have to return to boring graphics programming jobs quite yet!

This is so good to hear for once. Nice work! 👍

• @elf_audio Apologies if this has been covered in this thread already. When I open Koala as an effect in Aum, in order to sample directly from other synths (apps I mean, as opposed to hardware), I can get Koala to record, by pressing a pad...but I can't monitor what's going in....What am I doing wrong?

• @Kashi if you press the little headphone button that should allow you to monitor the incoming signal

• @elf_audio D'oh! Of course.....Sorry. And thank you!

• @Kashi youre v welcome

• @elf_audio One of my pads has gone white, and seems to be disabled. No idea how it happened, or how to get it working again (?)

• @Kashi said:
    @elf_audio One of my pads has gone white, and seems to be disabled. No idea how it happened, or how to get it working again (?)

Have you mistakenly chosen that pad to be routed to a different MIDI channel?

That could be why you're not hearing that pad.

• @Kashi said:
    @elf_audio One of my pads has gone white, and seems to be disabled. No idea how it happened, or how to get it working again (?)

Thanks happens whenever I close he Koala window with the pad already selected

• @cokomairena said:

@Kashi said:

chordpolypad and some other apps also behave similar. if you press a pad in chordpolypad while you close its window im AUM the pad will keep playing (a bit like latch) and stay greyed out when you open the window again..

• @kashi, I've only ever seen pads go white when they're set to loop + hold, but then you'd hear it looping and be able to toggle it off and on.

Have you tried saving the song, closing the plugin, then re-loading the song?

• @janpieter said:

@cokomairena said:

@Kashi said:

chordpolypad and some other apps also behave similar. if you press a pad in chordpolypad while you close its window im AUM the pad will keep playing (a bit like latch) and stay greyed out when you open the window again..

I had something slightly similar come up when trying to sequence koala from a drum machine. It was happening when MIDI on and off were being received very close together. In the end I made a Mozaic script that filtered out the note offs and added new ones with a slight additional delay.

More info on that case here:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/922247/#Comment_922247

• Thanks @cokomairena @janpieter @OscarSouth . Yes, that seems to be it. Was able to reproduce this, and your idea to save and restart plug-in worked @wim
    @dasgoods It wasn't that, but thanks for your reply :)

• edited November 2021

Is there any way to tell Koala to apply the effects to the monitor signal as well? aka can I use the Koala effects to mess with a live signal?

• @dobbs said:
    Is there any way to tell Koala to apply the effects to the monitor signal as well? aka can I use the Koala effects to mess with a live signal?

Did you know that Marek (the developer) has released an AUv3 "Koala FX" app for $4?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/koala-fx/id1518085697

• Ah, that looks good, nice idea with the crossfade and scenes. But the Koala main app itself can't do this?