Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Koala - the ultimate pocket-sized sampler

Comments

• @ehehehe said:
    Does it output midi from all three sections (sample, sequence, perform) for you? Looks like I maybe have to reinstall as all i get is empty sections or a forever-spinning but stopped recording in C3. No audio or midi input at all.

I record it as an audio instrument.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ehehehe said:
    Does it output midi from all three sections (sample, sequence, perform) for you? Looks like I maybe have to reinstall as all i get is empty sections or a forever-spinning but stopped recording in C3. No audio or midi input at all.

Midi can only be recorded to Cubasis when Koala is loaded to a midi track but then we can't directly record audio...
    ...when Koala is loaded to audio track you can't directly send or record midi to/from it but you can record audio.
    (And even then if there's a 'count-in' that will mess up the recording since playback of the connected apps/devices starts when pressing record and not once the count-in has finished, bug or not, don't know but it sure feels like one!).

...don't think the fx perform sliders send midi but they can be mapped to receive midi.

I do feel that @LFS and the Cubasis team is pretty aware by now that Cubasis needs a greatly improved sampler for seamless host integration. Will we get it this year or the next? No one knows for sure.
    (If/when the new Cubasis sampler comes the Media Bay should get a 'media in this project' making it easier to re-use project assets (midi & audio) without duplicating objects).

For now I've totally given up using Cubasis 3 for sampling related tasks and gone back to using BM3...

To keep the sanity it's best to use Koala as stand-alone app and export them stems to Cubasis when mixing is needed.
    I know, it doesn't suite everyones needs but that's as good as it gets for now...

Cheers!

• edited March 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ehehehe said:

@Samu said:

To keep the sanity it's best to use Koala as stand-alone app and export them stems to Cubasis when mixing is needed.
    I know, it doesn't suite everyones needs but that's as good as it gets for now...

Cheers!

Yeah, I need to hear my track while playing stuff from Koala. I get it working by disabling count-in and recording to an audio track from the sequence section. Would much prefer to just record from the sample section, so I’d only be using C3s sequencer. Just as audio. Will fiddle a bit more tomorrow, but the simplicity kindof goes out the window when dealing with double sequencers and count-in issues. I’ve had some weird ghost notes and notes outside the boxes in Koalas UI, so there is something strange going on.

My humble wish/dream/suggestion: a simpler «host/instrument mode» with only the sample-section of Koala outputting audio into a track on the timeline and a «return to host»-button. I like the fx, but DAWs would let us use our own selections and be more surgical with automation. It could be hidden in the settings and unlocked through an IAP. Would also pay again for FX in this mode too, what do you think @elf_audio ? I don’t know how much work it would take on your part, but I bet such an immediate sampler would satisfy many ios daw-users needs, as BM3 is the only one with a decent sampler. No need for AUv3, but it would be a dream come true and maybe more future-proof?

It’s a great standalone app (top three personally) with only host connectivity a bit lacking. I seldom request stuff from devs directly, but this has the potential to be THE fast sampler for everyone already invested in a DAW.

It isn’t clear to me how you are ideally wanting to use Koala in this setup. Are you wanting to record touches of the pads on Koala as MIDI in Cubasis and later capture the audio by mixing down, or are you wanting to perform with Koala and record the audio performance?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ehehehe said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ehehehe said:

@Samu said:

Cheers!

Yeah, I need to hear my track while playing stuff from Koala. I get it working by disabling count-in and recording to an audio track from the sequence section. Would much prefer to just record from the sample section, so I’d only be using C3s sequencer. Just as audio. Will fiddle a bit more tomorrow, but the simplicity kindof goes out the window when dealing with double sequencers and count-in issues. I’ve had some weird ghost notes and notes outside the boxes in Koalas UI, so there is something strange going on.

My humble wish/dream/suggestion: a simpler «host/instrument mode» with only the sample-section of Koala outputting audio into a track on the timeline and a «return to host»-button. I like the fx, but DAWs would let us use our own selections and be more surgical with automation. It could be hidden in the settings and unlocked through an IAP. Would also pay again for FX in this mode too, what do you think @elf_audio ? I don’t know how much work it would take on your part, but I bet such an immediate sampler would satisfy many ios daw-users needs, as BM3 is the only one with a decent sampler. No need for AUv3, but it would be a dream come true and maybe more future-proof?

It’s a great standalone app (top three personally) with only host connectivity a bit lacking. I seldom request stuff from devs directly, but this has the potential to be THE fast sampler for everyone already invested in a DAW.

It isn’t clear to me how you are ideally wanting to use Koala in this setup. Are you wanting to record touches of the pads on Koala as MIDI in Cubasis and later capture the audio by mixing down, or are you wanting to perform with Koala and record the audio performance?

The first, but audio only would also do just fine as long as the Koala sequencer can be bypassed. If it supported count-in the sequencer would be way better to use, as it is now I have to let it loop once first, kindof clunky.

Recording just the audio from Koala without its sequencer is straightforward. Load Koala as a source for an audio track in Cubasis and play koala while Cubasis records.

• edited March 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ehehehe said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ehehehe said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ehehehe said:

@Samu said:

Cheers!

The first, but audio only would also do just fine as long as the Koala sequencer can be bypassed. If it supported count-in the sequencer would be way better to use, as it is now I have to let it loop once first, kindof clunky.

Recording just the audio from Koala without its sequencer is straightforward. Load Koala as a source for an audio track in Cubasis and play koala while Cubasis records.

I wish it was that simple, here’s a vid of what happens: https://share.icloud.com/photos/0qel_ztUwJ89uKh55QEB1HkaA

When trying as midi track with the sequencer it also weirds out:
    https://share.icloud.com/photos/0-8iZMEuUElYp4b8i-MgE7-7w

For future reference sharing by uploading the video to YouTube or to something like Dropbox without zipping the file, makes it much more convenient to view videos.

• @ehehehe said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ehehehe said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ehehehe said:

@Samu said:

Cheers!

I wish it was that simple, here’s a vid of what happens: https://share.icloud.com/photos/0qel_ztUwJ89uKh55QEB1HkaA

>

Hmm. In Cubasis two, it works like a charm

• Not helpful to your Cubasis discussion (and quite obvious, really) but hard panning the output of Koala allows you to have 2 channels in IAA host apps, meaning you can use one as a drum bus and the other as an instrument bus

• @elf_audio - thanks for an awesome sampler. I have a question related to the pad layout in portrait/landscape. What I have found when using the app in landscape is that it would great to be able to retain the 4x4 pad layout. This is especially useful for finger drumming and/or when you have mapped the pads to a pad controller, so the samples/pads stay in the expected layout whichever way you use the ipad. Could this be an option in settings that could be enabled by the user?

• @gosnote said:
    @elf_audio - thanks for an awesome sampler. I have a question related to the pad layout in portrait/landscape. What I have found when using the app in landscape is that it would great to be able to retain the 4x4 pad layout. This is especially useful for finger drumming and/or when you have mapped the pads to a pad controller, so the samples/pads stay in the expected layout whichever way you use the ipad. Could this be an option in settings that could be enabled by the user?

Btw, if you use Koala in slideover mode with another app, you get the portrait layout.

• edited March 2021

@elf_audio would it be too much to ask for pads that respond to velocity. What I mean is just a simple min at the bottom and max at the top of the pads. It works very well in Drambo as well as some other apps. Samplr also has a similar solution.

It would definitely add expression to performances.

• @supadom said:
    @elf_audio would it be too much to ask for pads that respond to velocity. What I mean is just a simple min at the bottom and max at the top of the pads. It works very well in Drambo as well as some other apps. Samplr also has a similar solution.

It would definitely add expression to performances.

Hell yes. Please and thank you. As good as the velocity editing is in the new piano roll (which is great), this would simply save time in the workflow. An on/off toggle in the settings would be fine I imagine.

• I’m having issues mapping my launchpad x to Koala. I’ve tried it standalone and then in Aum. Aum can see lpx and it is routed to koala. I put Koala in midi map mode but no matter what midi message I send cc or note it doesn’t register. Any ideas?
    Does Koala only receive on one channel or something?

• @supadom said:
    I’m having issues mapping my launchpad x to Koala. I’ve tried it standalone and then in Aum. Aum can see lpx and it is routed to koala. I put Koala in midi map mode but no matter what midi message I send cc or note it doesn’t register. Any ideas?

My LPX works fine with Koala for me — just tried in Notes Mode and Custom mode. What mode are you in in the LPX?

What MIDI are you sending it?

Can you stick a MIDI monitor on to see what MIDI is being sent?

My LPX is sending on Midi Channel 1 — but I just tested sending from another controller to Koala on other MIDI channels and it sees the MIDI correctly and has no problem mapping to them.

• @espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:
    I’m having issues mapping my launchpad x to Koala. I’ve tried it standalone and then in Aum. Aum can see lpx and it is routed to koala. I put Koala in midi map mode but no matter what midi message I send cc or note it doesn’t register. Any ideas?

My LPX works fine with Koala for me — just tried in Notes Mode and Custom mode. What mode are you in in the LPX?

My LPX is sending on Midi Channel 1 — but I just tested sending from another controller to Koala on other MIDI channels and it sees the MIDI correctly and has no problem mapping to them.

I just tried it with pro 11 instead of 10.5 and it worked as expected. I’ll put a scope on it. Cheers

• Somehow it is working now.

• edited March 2021

@supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

I just tried it with pro 11 instead of 10.5 and it worked as expected. I’ll put a scope on it. Cheers

It is unfortunate the Koala doesn't let you choose the input device. I can see that for folks with multiple connected devices -- or with a connected device you don't want Koala to see this could be problematic. I.e. what if I want my hardware controller going to something like Mozaic or MIDFlow and having those dispatch the MIDI to Koala.

EDIT: This isn't a problem as when you connect Koala to an IAA host it will take its MIDI from the host and not directly from the hardware.

• @espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

It is unfortunate the Koala doesn't let you choose the input device. I can see that for folks with multiple connected devices -- or with a connected device you don't want Koala to see this could be problematic. I.e. what if I want my hardware controller going to something like Mozaic or MIDFlow and having those dispatch the MIDI to Koala.

I guess that can be mitigated by routing controllers separately via the host.

I’m experiencing another weird behaviour with lpx. When I trigger using a momentary note message gently it triggers in gate mode but when I hit harder it plays the whole sample.
    I’m not sure if it’s lpx at times forgetting the note off message. Novation remote sl has a strange way of handling midi notes from buttons so I wouldn’t be surprised.

• @supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

@espiegel123 said:

@supadom said:

I guess that can be mitigated by routing controllers separately via the host.

Ah. I see that Koala is being smart when loaded as IAA. When loaded as IAA, it does't listen to the hardware directly -- which is great.

• When adjusting the pitch value it’s very hard to dial in the exact number I want. Then if I get a pitch I like and want to get that same value on another pad it’s so hard. Can there be a way to type in a number on the pitch instead of constantly spinning the wheel until it lands right on the number I want?

• @warmgloom said:
    When adjusting the pitch value it’s very hard to dial in the exact number I want. Then if I get a pitch I like and want to get that same value on another pad it’s so hard. Can there be a way to type in a number on the pitch instead of constantly spinning the wheel until it lands right on the number I want?

You can make the pitch snap to semitones in the settings if that helps?

• wimwim
    edited March 2021

@warmgloom said:
    When adjusting the pitch value it’s very hard to dial in the exact number I want. Then if I get a pitch I like and want to get that same value on another pad it’s so hard. Can there be a way to type in a number on the pitch instead of constantly spinning the wheel until it lands right on the number I want?

That's kind of problematic because samples can be different pitches to start off. I don't think Koala does pitch detection, does it? Samples can't be assumed to have only one note either, so a note name wouldn't work unless the sample was a single-hit note.

The pitch adjustments are relative only, and can be done in semitones, which makes sense to me.

• One overlooked feature in Koala is the 'bounce' feature.
    Let's say you got one 'reference' sample that you want to tune the others to.
    Use the pitch knob to match the tuning to the reference sample and use bounce bake in the pitch change.

Once all the samples are bounced to the same pitch it's easy to pitch-match them :)

• Hi would like to bring back the multi-out topic back on the table... @elf_audio, look how people do crazy workarounds that abuse the stereo out as two mono channels by doing splitting and stuff in AUM. No chance for let's say 8 outs?

• @wim said:

@warmgloom said:

That's kind of problematic because samples can be different pitches to start off. I don't think Koala does pitch detection, does it? Samples can't be assumed to have only one note either, so a note name wouldn't work unless the sample was a single-hit note.

The pitch adjustments are relative only, and can be done in semitones, which makes sense to me.

Yes, I thought of that. Even if the source contains a piano it still could be off pitch due to tape or vinyl recording inconsistencies. I’d say that semitone knob should have a fine tuning option, maybe something like press and hold the knob to fine tune and do away with the not snappy option.

• edited March 2021

@supadom said:

@wim said:

@warmgloom said:

Yes, I thought of that. Even if the source contains a piano it still could be off pitch due to tape or vinyl recording inconsistencies. I’d say that semitone knob should have a fine tuning option, maybe something like press and hold the knob to fine tune and do away with the not snappy option.

You can go to the settings and toggle OFF “pitch snap to semitone”. Now it goes by cents. Furthermore, drag side to side to adjust finely/slowly instead of up and down.

• @db909 said:

@supadom said:

@wim said:

@warmgloom said:

You can go to the settings and toggle OFF “pitch snap to semitone”. Now it goes by cents. Furthermore, drag side to side to adjust finely/slowly instead of up and down.

We already know this, look a couple of comments up ;)