Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Koala - the ultimate pocket-sized sampler

Comments

• @Lawkyz - thanks for reporting - I've heard a few people reporting this, but can't seem to replicate - is it saying "0 BARS" at the top of the sample? How long is the bit of sample you have selected?

• edited January 2021

@Samu said:

@Zaubrer said:
    How much is the IAP?

$2.99 (35SEK in Sweden)

Well that’s pretty good value. Guess l‘ll get that soon. I still regulars return to Koala when I’m on the go. It’s just lots of fun.

• edited January 2021

@espiegel123 said:

@israelite said:

@AudioGus said:
    Attack and decay on FX triggering would be sweet.

Some more options for FX tweaking would make Koala even better app.
    @Samu +1 for vinyl noise scratch effect.

@elf_audio I just got for the second time a very serious bug: the app after the update does not open when clicking the icon.
    Yesterday I have deleted it completely and redownload and it fixed the issue but all the projects were lost. Since then I have created some new stuff and the app does not work again. There is just black screen for a second and then device returns to home screen (iOS 13, iPad mini 5 Gen).

Update: Offloading the app in iPad storage options and then redownload it solved the issue! (no data lost :)

FYI, deleting an app will delete its data. Losing your data was not Koala's fault (I mention it because it isn't clear whether you thought that the data should have been preserved). One needs to manually backup/off load data before deleting an app if you don't want to lose the data.

Sure, that's clear. Thanks for the message. I am just pointing that something inside Koala's configuration files was preventing it from launching... Luckily a fresh install fixed this issue.

And as for further potential for improvement in the app:
    Some effects (comb, ring, crush, cutter, gate) are not very useful IMO. How about replacing it with chorus, tremolo or previously mentioned vinyl effect?

• edited January 2021

@israelite said:

@espiegel123 said:

@israelite said:

@AudioGus said:
    Attack and decay on FX triggering would be sweet.

Some more options for FX tweaking would make Koala even better app.
    @Samu +1 for vinyl noise scratch effect.

@elf_audio I just got for the second time a very serious bug: the app after the update does not open when clicking the icon.
    Yesterday I have deleted it completely and redownload and it fixed the issue but all the projects were lost. Since then I have created some new stuff and the app does not work again. There is just black screen for a second and then device returns to home screen (iOS 13, iPad mini 5 Gen).

Update: Offloading the app in iPad storage options and then redownload it solved the issue! (no data lost :)

FYI, deleting an app will delete its data. Losing your data was not Koala's fault (I mention it because it isn't clear whether you thought that the data should have been preserved). One needs to manually backup/off load data before deleting an app if you don't want to lose the data.

Sure, that's clear. Thanks for the message. I am just pointing that something inside Koala's configuration files was preventing it from launching... Luckily a fresh install fixed this issue.

And as for further potential for improvement in the app:
    Some effects (comb, ring, crush, cutter, gate) are not very useful IMO. How about replacing it with chorus, tremolo or previously mentioned vinyl effect?

I do like comb, ring and company but having a mix level would be super nice.

• thanks for the update :)

Koala is such immediate fun - a real front page app

all seems to be working here, but i do get this msg ...

on an older ipad that i keep offline (and only update selectively and sparingly)

no problems (samurai all working fine), but i mention it incase it relates to anything else

thanks again for Koala :)

• Just got using this app again, and wow how i love it and missed it. One thing i can not figure out or find anywhere is how do you change the root note when using keyboard mode??

• @simonnowis thx for reporting - it's the first time I've programmed an IAP, so I haven't been able to test widely - it turns out there are issues with my code when there is no connectivity - it's the first thing on the list of bug fixes.

@rickelal3 you can just change the pitch of your sample to the desired root note - might be helpful to turn on the "snap to semitone" option in settings if your sample is in tune already

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wimwim
    edited January 2021

What a great update! This app is so much fun. It just makes me happy every time I open it. At this point it's one of only two apps that aren't AUv3 that I would recommend without hesitation to anyone. (Excluding hosts of course).

The piano roll fills in the only missing piece for me, other than that I'd really like to see a wet/dry control for the FX. I was thinking left/right drag could be used for this.

The stretch is really great. I normally avoid stretch like the plague because of what it usually does to the sound, but this does a great job and makes including loops a breeze. Chopping works great too - so easy! Love it!

@robosardine said:
    I would also like a pattern quantize so that one pattern will complete before the next one starts when playing them.

I was thinking this too last night. Not critical for me, since it's still so playable even without it, but would be nice.

• @ehehehe said:
    Am I the only one not being able to record this into Cubasis 3 in any way? Also an app-switch icon would be useful. Delightful app on its own!

Only way I've managed to do it is to load Koala IAA to a midi track 'Freeze' it...
    The developer @elf_audio will likely look into the Cubasis issues and I hope @LFS will be able to assist!

For me it works but I get a strange 'fade in' in Cubasis 3?!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/idywui660147neo/KoalaCubasis.mp4?dl=0

Sooner or later Koala will go AUv3 so things will likely get sorted out over time.
    (I offered to beta-test Koala AUv3 when it's time for that).

Take Care,

• @ehehehe said:
    I just tried to no avail, everything updated/restarted/reordered launches on an 2020 ipad. Hope it gets fixed!

Since Samu is getting different results, maybe it would useful to post a screen recording of your complete process (including setting Koala and Cubasis up) to see if someone can spot a step that might make a difference.

• If it helps, I've got Inter-App Audio Sync and Background Audio enabled in Koala.
    Background Audio is also enabled in Cubasis...

• edited January 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • This could also be one of those 'weird' IAA 48k things...

If I'm not mistaken the 2020 iPad defaults to using 48K and can NOT switch to 44.1k unless connecting an external audio-interface that supports 44.1k.

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/104550

"After opening an audio unit (IAA) using an AUGraph or directly with AudioComponentInstanceNew on an iPhone with a fixed hardware sample rate of 48000Hz, AudioUnitInitialize() will fail when either or both of the input and output AudioStreamBasicDescription's set for the audio unit contain a different sample rate (like 44100Hz). Setting the formats themselves return no error."

(First paragraph from the link might help developers to dig deeper).

As said, hope it gets sorted out...

• Man...I never knew how much I needed this update in Koala Sampler. It's so right on so many levels!!

• Great update but still doesn’t work in Audiobus. Ahh who uses that anyway...

• @Zerozerozero said:
    Great update but still doesn’t work in Audiobus. Ahh who uses that anyway...

In what way isn’t it working for you? It works fine for me in AB

• edited January 2021

Causes AB to crash when you put it in a midi slot, only after a minute or so though...on iPhone...

• @Zerozerozero said:
    Causes AB to crash when you put it in a midi slot, only after a minute or so though...on iPhone...

So, it isn’t that it doesn’t generally work in AB. Just in a MIDI slot.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Zerozerozero said:

So, it isn’t that it doesn’t generally work in AB. Just in a MIDI slot.

Why put an audio app in a MIDI slot?

• If you want to trigger it from Xequence and not use the internal sequencer.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Zerozerozero said:
    Great update but still doesn’t work in Audiobus. Ahh who uses that anyway...

In what way isn’t it working for you? It works fine for me in AB

When hosted in a midi slot in AB it's quite unpredictable for some users.
    I've not been able to make it dive though...

• Yeah, a few apps bomb in the midi slot recently. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• @Zerozerozero said:
    If you want to trigger it from Xequence and not use the internal sequencer.

FWIW, it isn’t crashing for me in AB in a MIDI destination slot. I am routing AB virtual midi to koala and sending from Xequence 2. I am running iOS 13.7. Sample rate 43.1 k if that makes a difference. After 10 minutes no crash.

• @Zerozerozero said:
    Yeah, a few apps bomb in the midi slot recently. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Have you been in touch with @Michael about them? If not sending him logs may be helpful.

• It doesn't crash here on iOS 13.7.

@Zerozerozero said:

Are you by chance on iOS 14.2? Xequence throws up a warning about MIDI apps in Audiobus on 14.2 and recommends updating to the latest 14.x version.

• Interesting. I’m on 14.2 ( 🤬). Maybe something in that. Will try and look at crash logs. Appreciate the investigation 🙏🏻