Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Koala - the ultimate pocket-sized sampler

Comments

• I slightly dislike the monopoly audioshare has over importing audio, but it’s the only way you can preview stuff on iOS. Android is different though, I made a custom file browser where you can preview everything.

• @MonzoPro said:
    I just had half an hour of the most ridiculously good fun with this app. Sitting in the garden, live sampling the neighbours yapping dogs, and jamming some beats on top to annoy them.

Next time the scrote on the other side is out yelling at her kids, or moaning loudly about her benefits on the phone to her other scrotey mates, I’ll sample that too.

Could make a nice album: Monzo’s Garden.

This needs to happen.

• edited May 2020

@elf_audio said:
    I slightly dislike the monopoly audioshare has over importing audio, but it’s the only way you can preview stuff on iOS. Android is different though, I made a custom file browser where you can preview everything.

If you take a look at Auditor (the audio editor) the dev added a nice preview button to the standard Document picker making it easy to preview sounds. Don't know how he did it though...

• edited May 2020

@elf_audio said:
    I slightly dislike the monopoly audioshare has over importing audio, but it’s the only way you can preview stuff on iOS. Android is different though, I made a custom file browser where you can preview everything.

@elf_audio no worries. Its fine I just import sample folders into a Koala folder set up in Audioshare or the excellent drag & drop which has sample preview . Will it be possible to get pad mutes/solos? Also when using the fine tuning the pitch dials its a bit hard to get the amount needed. Not a major issue but if can sort would be ace. Thanks as always. :)

• For now I'll just resort to using Files.app Pop-Over and Drag'n'Drop to Koala which also supports multiple files :)

• @Fingolfinzzz said:
    Is there any way to preview with files? Being able to preview in AudioShare is a huge reason why this app is so useful for me

Yes, the Auditor app shows that great previewing can be done with the files.app, seemingly other developers need some encouragement to realise that previewing files is actually essential, in fact I would suggest preview in place and even sync are essential, but I doubt iOS developers will listen (pun fully intended)

• @Samu i can’t seem to find that auditor app on the App Store, any hints?

• @elf_audio said:
    @Samu i can’t seem to find that auditor app on the App Store, any hints?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/auditor-audio-editor/id1248284381

• @elf_audio said:
    @Samu i can’t seem to find that auditor app on the App Store, any hints?

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1248284381

I think @LivingMemorySoftware is also here on the forum and might be able assist..

• @Samu @xraydash thanks! Was searching on iPhone store and it was iPad only. Will investigate on monday

• @MonzoPro said:
    I just had half an hour of the most ridiculously good fun with this app. Sitting in the garden, live sampling the neighbours yapping dogs, and jamming some beats on top to annoy them.

Next time the scrote on the other side is out yelling at her kids, or moaning loudly about her benefits on the phone to her other scrotey mates, I’ll sample that too.

I believe this will be your fortune and cultural legacy. It's what he would want you to do at this point in history.

• edited May 2020

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

I believe this will be your fortune and cultural legacy. It's what he would want you to do at this point in history.

I think he’d complain there was too much hair on the wing.

Quite tricky doing anything sensible on this app - timing requires a dexterity I probably don’t possess, and finally sussed why my imported drum loops were out of time - Koala seems fixed to 48k in standalone. Can’t see a way to change it...looks like I’ll have to stick to using it in AUM.

Actually the song recording reminds me of the OP1 a bit.

• Grid Editor would be most welcome to remove notes that get wrongly recorded (sure, the keyboard mode would require some kind of piano grid but...).

Another option would be 'erase mode' so we could remove notes by playing them, this would require that the pads & keys that get triggered would flash or something... (ie. hold down erase and tap pad or key to remove it while the pattern is playing).

Slightly OT but I just spent 1/2 hour with Koala after importing some Bilbao kits and man, Korg should add chromatic mode to Bilbao like we should not even need to request it...

• @Samu said:
    Grid Editor would be most welcome to remove notes that get wrongly recorded (sure, the keyboard mode would require some kind of piano grid but...).

Yeah, this is such a brilliant app in the way it handles samples, and the fx are great, but recording is tricky.

• edited May 2020

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Quite tricky doing anything sensible on this app - timing requires a dexterity I probably don’t possess, and finally sussed why my imported drum loops were out of time - Koala seems fixed to 48k in standalone. Can’t see a way to change it...looks like I’ll have to stick to using it in AUM.

Ha! I'm hoping the OP will make the iPad feel like a desktop :) Theodore indeed.

But to your point, I can see where Koala, especially as it has grown, might be a similar thing. I often wonder if having a lot (or even tons) of apps in the same black box dilutes their value. If each were some sort of pocket operator (now there's a product name) of their own we might dance with them further. It seems akin to those fuckers who have car 'collections' or a 100 vintage motor bikes. Do they love any as much as I would love one?

Uh-oh, existential crisis mode accidentally engaged. Time for strong tea and a machete-ing out in the bamboo I fancy...

• Noob Sampling/Koala Questions

I do apologize if this is really dumb, please forgive my ignorance. I am more of a player and still just learning all this new tech. Sampling is completely foreign to me.

1. With Koala, am I able to Sample a sound from iM1 on the same IPad ? I.E. I have Koala open and iM1 open to the selected patch can I play a note (C2) on the keyboard and have it sampled?

2. In Koala if I sample a note (C2) will it be C2 in Koala if I play an external keyboard and does it automatically change pitch note by note or must I sample every note and assign them somehow?

3. Once I export a sample from Koala into another app (NS2,Cubasis, etc.) will the sample play the correct pitches like a normal keyboard for me to use in that app?

The reasons for all these questions is that I cannot use iM1 in NS2 or more than one instance in Cubasis or Auria Pro, even in Korg Gadget the gadget version does not have all the sounds of the iM1 stand alone and of course some of those sounds are the ones I want.

I mostly see people using Koala for a drum machine or sound effects, not keyboard sounds.

I see potential for perhaps sampling my Monophonic Behringer MS-1 and in essence, storing patches and being able to play those with polyphony?

You may be right, I may be crazy.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Ha! I'm hoping the OP will make the iPad feel like a desktop :) Theodore indeed.

But to your point, I can see where Koala, especially as it has grown, might be a similar thing. I often wonder if having a lot (or even tons) of apps in the same black box dilutes their value. If each were some sort of pocket operator (now there's a product name) of their own we might dance with them further. It seems akin to those fuckers who have car 'collections' or a 100 vintage motor bikes. Do they love any as much as I would love one?

Uh-oh, existential crisis mode accidentally engaged. Time for strong tea and a machete-ing out in the bamboo I fancy...

The different synths and sampler instruments in the OP1 are excellent, and cover most bases. Aside from the recording side, and maybe sample editing, it’s a different beast to Koala.

I’m giving Koala a serious thrashing this weekend, to see if it can add anything to my workflow aside from dog sampling.

Earlier I had it hosted in AUM, sampling in other apps. Trying to build up that old muscle memory..

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

@ralis said:
    Noob Sampling/Koala Questions

I do apologize if this is really dumb, please forgive my ignorance. I am more of a player and still just learning all this new tech. Sampling is completely foreign to me.

1. With Koala, am I able to Sample a sound from iM1 on the same IPad ? I.E. I have Koala open and iM1 open to the selected patch can I play a note (C2) on the keyboard and have it sampled?

2. In Koala if I sample a note (C2) will it be C2 in Koala if I play an external keyboard and does it automatically change pitch note by note or must I sample every note and assign them somehow?

3. Once I export a sample from Koala into another app (NS2,Cubasis, etc.) will the sample play the correct pitches like a normal keyboard for me to use in that app?

The reasons for all these questions is that I cannot use iM1 in NS2 or more than one instance in Cubasis or Auria Pro, even in Korg Gadget the gadget version does not have all the sounds of the iM1 stand alone and of course some of those sounds are the ones I want.

I mostly see people using Koala for a drum machine or sound effects, not keyboard sounds.

I see potential for perhaps sampling my Monophonic Behringer MS-1 and in essence, storing patches and being able to play those with polyphony?

But it just may be a lunatic you're looking for.

AudioLayer is that lunatic you're looking for, not Koala. You can set it up to auto-sample iM1 patches at whatever detail level you need, then re-use them in any AUv3 host. There's a learning curve for sure, so be prepared for that.

Sampling synths can have varying levels of success depending on certain things such as how much a patch depends on tempo-dependent FX. For example, sampling a patch with a synced delay at 120bpm isn't going to still be synced when used in a project at 100bpm. When I sample patches, I try to remember to disable most FX. The sampled patch doesn't sound as good as the original, but can be polished either with AudioLayer's own FX or with external FX.

• @wim said:

@ralis said:

AudioLayer is that lunatic you're looking for, not Koala. You can set it up to auto-sample iM1 patches at whatever detail level you need, then re-use them in any AUv3 host. There's a learning curve for sure, so be prepared for that.

Sampling synths can have varying levels of success depending on certain things such as how much a patch depends on tempo-dependent FX. For example, sampling a patch with a synced delay at 120bpm isn't going to still be synced when used in a project at 100bpm. When I sample patches, I try to remember to disable most FX. The sampled patch doesn't sound as good as the original, but can be polished either with AudioLayer's own FX or with external FX.

Nice.

• @wim said:

@ralis said:

Thank you I will get AudioLayer and great insight on the FX

• @paradiddle said:
    @elf_audio don’t care much for au. If u do it, make as an iap and let the people who want this pay for it. I prefer to use it as a performance sampler by itself.

And here I was, selfishly thinking only about what I want. auv3 functionality. Yes, yes, please go ahead an make it an IAP as that will suit this guy. Again, sorry for my selfishness.

• @Ailerom said:

@paradiddle said:
    @elf_audio don’t care much for au. If u do it, make as an iap and let the people who want this pay for it. I prefer to use it as a performance sampler by itself.

And here I was, selfishly thinking only about what I want. auv3 functionality. Yes, yes, please go ahead an make it an IAP as that will suit this guy. Again, sorry for my selfishness.

Not that I wouldn’t buy that IAP in a second, but for me Koala standalone on an iPhone out in the field is just the best thing and fully worth it just for that use.

I realize there are other ways to use the app, but that one is really sweet.

• @elf_audio said:

Not really. Check out the free app Documents by Readdle.

• @Samflash3 I can't see how to preview files in there without the file picker going away though...

• @elf_audio said:
    @Samflash3 I can't see how to preview files in there without the file picker going away though...

I see what you mean now. Does the nee update mean that "Open in Koala" is no longer possible? I was working on a Koala tool that relied on that feature.

(No pressure though. I might have to rethink the design of the tool if the feature no longer works)

• The way Auditor handles previews in the document picker is the way to go.
    Hopefully Apple will add something similar as standard in iOS/iPadOS14 when it ships later this year...

• @Samflash3 open in koala should still work, I didn't change anything there - although apple have made it a bit more of a pain to use "open in..." - for instance, I think you can't do it from voice memos anymore. Feel free to give me a shout if I can help with your tool, sounds interesting!

@Samu will investigate auditor

• @elf_audio said:

@Samu will investigate auditor

Thanks, I downloaded the macOS version yesterday :)

And regarding Audio Input selection...
    ...don't know how much work it would be to make all inputs available? (Most iOS devices have at least 3 microphones).
    (I'm using a 4 channel interface UR-242 so maybe I'm better off using it as IAA and let AUM handle the input selection?).

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/qa/qa1799/_index.html
    (AVAudioSession - Microphone Selection)

• Does koala have time stretch ?

• @topaz said:
    Does koala have time stretch ?

No time stretch.