Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Koala - the ultimate pocket-sized sampler

Comments

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Landscape as a switch option with the 'temporary' sign AND make it an IAP because if I've paid I understand the deal and if I haven't I won't bitch and moan.

Brilliant. “True” Landscape IAP coming on a banner would work too

• I would love this to be landscape, my iPads live in stands, there is no way I’m gonna pick them up and spin them round when they are all hooked up to power and usb. And if there is simple clean waveform editing , I honestly think you would sell them to everyone. 🌞

• I would definitely use the app more if it was landscape as portrait and iPad just don't go. 1000+ what @wim said.

• @elf_audio said:
    @wim thanks for the reply! Unfortunately there’s a few things that would break conceptually by laying out the interface side by side as you say. I’ve given it a bit of thought and still haven’t cracked the problem of how to do it. If only 16 was divisible by 3 then there could be 3 rows of pads per bank!

I was thinking to put a switch in settings for now to enable the stop-gap landscape mode, which would maybe make it clear that a better solution is on the way. Maybe I will do that for now if it’s possible.

@elf_audio that would be brilliant if can do.

• Thought the same thing about an IAP

• I could settle for a portrait view in landscape until you sort another solution. Bonus if it could be split-screened. Mutes and direct drops from the files app would be welcome too. Already it’s a top ten fun/productivity app. Appreciate the recent update.

• I don't personally have a big need for the landscape view but clearly many others do, and it always pays to listen to the customer. :) That said, I think being clear that a "good enough" approach is your intended first phase would be smart. That is, perhaps you call it "Mini Landscape View for iPad" or "Landscape Mode, Phase 1" or something like that--and then put it in bold and all caps in the app store description.

• The app says it’s the ultimate pocket sized sampler. Therefore you shouldn’t be using it on an iPad unless you have really big pockets.

:-D

• @elf_audio said:
    I was thinking to put a switch in settings for now to enable the stop-gap landscape mode, which would maybe make it clear that a better solution is on the way. Maybe I will do that for now if it’s possible.

I think that’s a very reasonable compromise for the time being. Keep it as a setting that must be turned on and can be turned off.

Then, maybe, you can look at app usage analytics to see how many users actually toggle the setting on before deciding to pursue further.

• edited September 2019

@elf_audio thanks as always for your brilliant app - no rush but Pad Solo’s & Mutes,Choke groups and name Pads & Samples maybe from within the Sample Edit window (I often forget which samples I have on the pads) - happy to purchase as an IAP -would really help as the app is mainly about resampling . :)

• +1000 an opt-in option in settings would be a perfect interim compromise. You can even label it as temporary/experimental or something?

@iamspoon said:

@wim said:
    ............I just love this app...... I just can't bring myself to use portrait only on iPad........

Yeah!

I’d be happy to use it with a “rotated” interface as an interim/alternative setup.
    Obviously, a landscape specific layout would be better if that is possible in the long run.
    Either way super app that largely remains unused by me due to a overwhelming resistance to rotate and handle my device in a portrait orientation. :D

• @klownshed said:
    The app says it’s the ultimate pocket sized sampler. Therefore you shouldn’t be using it on an iPad unless you have really big pockets.

:-D

• Just did a rough sketch of an idea, would love to get your feedback on it

Please note that I want to keep the portrait/iphone version features identical to the landscape mode.

• @elf_audio that’s a good compromise for landscape. Would much prefer 4x4 (with smaller pads if need be) but this is ok too. Thanks :)

• @elf_audio That's fine. Thanks

• edited September 2019

@stormbeats said:
    @elf_audio that’s a good compromise for landscape. Would much prefer 4x4 (with smaller pads if need be) but this is ok too. Thanks :)

Same, but then pads could be bigger if all controls were moved to the top.

• Looks good agree with above move controls for bigger pads

• edited September 2019

@elf_audio said:
    Just did a rough sketch of an idea, would love to get your feedback on it

Please note that I want to keep the portrait/iphone version features identical to the landscape mode.

imho No thank you, definitely prefer the current pad setup.

• Could def make the pads bigger (they'd probably be square instead of rectangular). Would love to keep the 4x4, but it would mean moving the pads to the left or right, which I can't make look nice or logical! Will keep thinking.

• @elf_audio said:
    Just did a rough sketch of an idea, would love to get your feedback on it

I know, but think about this crazy idea...
    Scrap the A,B,C,D on the sampler screen and show all 64 pads on screen at once when in landscape mode.
    This would also solve the 'problem' of dragging sounds from one bank to another among other things.

• also, I kind of like the two rows because it looks like a face with massive teeth

• edited September 2019

@Samu said:
    I know, but think about this crazy idea...
    Scrap the A,B,C,D on the sampler screen and show all 64 pads on screen at once when in landscape mode.
    This would also solve the 'problem' of dragging sounds from one bank to another among other things.

Oh wow, could be just 2 banks of 32, will have a go

• at all cost if possible please keep it's sp-ish vibe

• edited September 2019

@kobamoto said:
    at all cost if possible please keep it's sp-ish vibe

@elf_audio @kobamoto i agree 100%. Saying that though if it’s an option in settings then I guess its a compromise. Please leave the 4banks..keeps it simple.Too many pads spoil the look Can live with 16x2 as an option but the vibe of Koala will feel different with 64 pads/1bank

• @stormbeats I did a mock-up of the 32 x 2 banks it’s pretty overwhelming, so will stick to 16 per bank. Would be good to keep it simple, thanks for your input!

@kobamoto will def try! My main goal is to keep things simple. Sp-404s are already in portrait mode in real life, so I would rather keep everything portrait, but everyone wants landscape

• @elf_audio said:
    @stormbeats I did a mock-up of the 32 x 2 banks it’s pretty overwhelming, so will stick to 16 per bank. Would be good to keep it simple, thanks for your input!

@kobamoto will def try! My main goal is to keep things simple. Sp-404s are already in portrait mode in real life, so I would rather keep everything portrait, but everyone wants landscape

What about just 'scaling down' the current layout when shown in landscape mode?
    I know this would make the pads a tad smaller but it would still be plenty usable.

I like what you've done with the audio input selector when using USB devices but what about the devices with more than two channels? (And maybe even bring the channel selector to the main screen without hiding it in the menu?).

Like, just tap the 'Mic' and select the input(1,2,1&2,3,4,3&4 etc.).

• @Samu just scaling the interface is the easy way out (which is love to take) but gonna try to consider other ways.

Will make note of suggestion about the multi channel stuff. Could be cool.

• I have completed a sketch for @kobamoto that keeps sp-ish aspects and meets other key requirements.

• edited September 2019

@palm said:

@sketcherazzi said:
    Just adding a +1 for landscape mode, of any kind - even if it's just black bars on either side of the interface, or a second paid iPad version. I use Koala with a lot of other apps and when I switch back and forth the portrait format screws up the orientation of any other open app and doesn't switch back easily.
    Aside from that I'm constantly thrilled by Koala's simplicity and elegance, such a great app!

+1 to your +1

Ima add some +1s to your already existing +1s cuz that's the limit of my ability to convince this guy we need some sideways action lol