Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MidiWrist is available - Wirelessly Control Synths from your Watch

Hey guys,

Letting you know that today is the release of my new app MidiWrist!

MidiWrist turns your Apple Watch into a wireless MIDI controller.

The tactile feel of the digital crown combined with haptic feedback, gives you control over any MIDI synthesizer by touching your wrist, even when you're not looking.

Any CoreMIDI application or device can be controlled by MidiWrist. This includes Virtual MIDI, Network MIDI, Bluetooth MIDI and Physical MIDI Devices through a supported MIDI hardware interface.

More information and ordering at http://uwyn.com/midiwrist/

Here are some demo videos:

Comments

• I'm interested. I have the original Apple Watch. Would it even be worth trying?

• Yeah sorry, that one is not supported. Too old and underpowered.

• I am so excited about this app! I haven’t gotten to try it out yet but I preordered :)

Finally someone found a way to incorporate the apple watch into iOS musicianing haha!! I hope you countinue to develop this, kind of like the watch equivalent of the KB-1 Midi controller suite by Kai Aras.

I suppose it goes without saying that it needs to be controlling an app on your phone only right (needs the special iphone/watch pairing)? No iPad apps can be controlled? Or can they via WiFi midi or something?

Thank you so much for making this! 😎

• Well, finally I have a reason to repair my apple watch, thank you!

• @marmakin You can control anything that your iPhone can connect to over MIDI ... including your iPad. I've set the iPhone up to be a Bluetooth MIDI peripheral to which I connect the iPad. Then your Watch can control iPad apps :-)

Thanks for your excitement!

I have a lot of improvement and feature addition plans for future updates ... this is just the beginning!

• ah shit, looks like I got excited too quickly. Don't think I need this enough right now to justify upgrading to a new watch but still, I can see this come in very handy in a number of situations. Good luck moving forward!

• Darn I have the gen 1 Apple watch, I was excited for this too! Oh well I still wish you much success with this, looks really useful!!

• nice... very ‘handy’

love your work dude your a legend.

• @jollyDodger said:
    nice... very ‘handy’
    love your work dude your a legend.

Thanks so much! :smile:

• edited December 2019

Hey, is anyone using this app?

I've got a nanoKey that I've recently dusted off, updated and getting into using as a midi controller again.

But I'm still interested in this Midi Wrist app. My sister gave me an Apple Watch Series 3 after just upgrading, so I'm been playing around with it for a week now.

I mostly just wanted to geek out with it since she said it was just sitting in a drawer not being used. So far, I'm finding it more fun and useful that I anticipated.

I've looked at several of the Apple Watch recorders, and I think for now I'm good with the free Voice Memos app, but I'm looking at Just Press Record, You record Pro, Voice Record Pro 7. The fact that I'll only use it to grab a quickly sound clip every now and then... and the fact that Voice Memo is free on the watch, iPhone, iPad AND laptop... and it all syncs up via icloud.. I think that's all I really need.

So, I've been looking at this MidiWrist app. Even though I don't need anything in addition to the nanoKey I already have... I don't usually have the nanoKey with me unless I'm thinking about it. Being able to trigger stuff on the iPad or iPhone at the coffee shop sounds cool, but I'm trying to figure out if it's just a "cool that you can do that" sort of thing? Or, is it really useful.

I kind of wish the app ALSO worked with the same interface to use your iPhone as the controller for your iPad. Same basic interface as the apple watch, but the choice to use the iPhone as controller instead of the apple watch if you wanted.

Anyone have this app and discovered it's a lot more useful than you initially thought it'd be? Or, is it the sort of new gadget you play with for a week then never use again.

• Ended up grabbing MidiWrist last night and figured I'd answer my own question.

Yes, this is very useful!

Does everything I hoped it would! I do notice a little latency since my inherited Apple Watch is a series but it’s completely tolerable. For twiddling knobs and hitting buttons it’s perfect. x/y latency is a little slow/wonky, but fine if you're moving it slow rather than fast. It does help speed/latency to turn off wifi in the Apple Watch while you're using it.

Basically, I’m using midiwrist to do the two things I bought it for and it’s doing it perfectly, ie. I’m sitting at Starbucks with my iPad playing with Fieldscaper. I’m using midiwrist knobs to control several of fieldscaper filter effects sliders all at once.

And, I’m using the buttons of MidiWrist to trigger multiple instances of the Enso looper to play, trigger, reverse play, increase playback speed all at once. Without having to lug a dorky midi controller with me. It's cool to have a midi controller with you all the time. If I'm at home I'd likely just use the nanoKey, but when I'm out and about at the coffee shop, etc. It's cool that I'll always have a midi controller on my wrist that has 4 knobs, 4 buttons, x/y control, and transport controls. The jury is still out on program change until I figure that one out and an iOS app that supports PC.

The only thing I haven’t figured out yet is doing program changes, but that has more to do with not being familiar with PC. No idea how to tell a synth, etc. that a patch change should occur via PC, but I’ll do more experimenting and will eventually figure it out.

It’s great when you buy something that actually does exactly what you bought it for. And without a big learning curve. I was set up and midi learning/controlling Shockwave knobs inside of 20minutes.

Glad I bought it! :)

• Thanks so much for writing up your experience with MidiWrist @skiphunt. I'm really happy it's working out for you!

• @GeertBevin said:
    Thanks so much for writing up your experience with MidiWrist @skiphunt. I'm really happy it's working out for you!

Just used it last night at home too. Was playing with fieldscaper and assigned a half dozen or so different effects faders to each of the 4 MidiWrist knobs. So turning each knob individually or all 4 at once was moving about 2 dozen osc effects faders at once to different degrees.

So fun! And I even had my nanoKey handy at home, but it was still easier/faster to just control them on the watch instead... while lazing on the sofa. :)

• @skiphunt that sounds awesome! 😁

• @GeertBevin said:
    @marmakin You can control anything that your iPhone can connect to over MIDI ... including your iPad. I've set the iPhone up to be a Bluetooth MIDI peripheral to which I connect the iPad. Then your Watch can control iPad apps :-)
    Thanks for your excitement!
    I have a lot of improvement and feature addition plans for future updates ... this is just the beginning!

@GeertBevin @skiphunt

Can you explain the exact steps needed to control synths on iPad using MidiWrist? Presumably there is no way to connect directly?

Do I need a third party app to set up my iPhone as a peripheral to connect to iPad? What is the process? I’m assuming connecting via the iPhone adds latency?

Thanks. Looks like a great utility app if I can get it to work seamlessly. Thinking about using it for sound check in my rig to adjust levels and test the sound of different patches in unfamiliar venues.

• Ever since the clocks went forward every part I play comes in too early...

• Thanks @GeertBevin for having developed one of the first (if not the first) iOS music making apps for Apple watch ! This is simply awesome. The possibility alone the start/stop a recording in GarageBand while having in foreground another app like velocity keyboard is worth the app's price.

Still, for live playing I was wondering if you ever thought about adding gyroscopic sensing features into your app.
    This would bring pitch bend and aftertouch to any conventional keyboard.

You are already a legend but if you could put this ring inside the watch, you will then enter the Valhalla ! ;)
    https://www.enhancia-music.com/neova/

All the best.

• edited May 2021

https://holon.ist/

Works with the watch as well.
    Go take a drive through the mountains with this tweaking your iPad midi ccs

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    https://holon.ist/

Works with the watch as well.
    Go take a drive through the mountains with this tweaking your iPad midi ccs

Do you mean Holon.ist can send for instance Midi channel pressure values to my iPhone thanks to Apple Watch gyroscopes ?

• @Paulo164 said:
    Thanks @GeertBevin for having developed one of the first (if not the first) iOS music making apps for Apple watch ! This is simply awesome. The possibility alone the start/stop a recording in GarageBand while having in foreground another app like velocity keyboard is worth the app's price.

Still, for live playing I was wondering if you ever thought about adding gyroscopic sensing features into your app.

You are already a legend but if you could put this ring inside the watch, you will then enter the Valhalla ! ;)

All the best.

Thanks Paulo,

I actually have this working and very usable, however Apple doesn't want to let it past approval. The only way to make the watch continue sending real time motion messages, is to start and stop a 'workout' in the background. Without that, you can get aggregated data that's collected over long periods of time, seconds or even more. Since this is a music app, Apple refuses to let me use the Workout API for it. I've been trying to get them to add other solutions but nothing seems to have come to the surface yet. Here's a demo of the prototype I had a while ago:

Take care,

Geert

• Bought this yesterday, it really works very well.

• @Pierre118 said:
    Bought this yesterday, it really works very well.

Thank you! :)

• @GeertBevin said:

@Paulo164 said:
    Thanks @GeertBevin for having developed one of the first (if not the first) iOS music making apps for Apple watch ! This is simply awesome. The possibility alone the start/stop a recording in GarageBand while having in foreground another app like velocity keyboard is worth the app's price.

All the best.

Thanks Paulo,

I actually have this working and very usable, however Apple doesn't want to let it past approval. The only way to make the watch continue sending real time motion messages, is to start and stop a 'workout' in the background. Without that, you can get aggregated data that's collected over long periods of time, seconds or even more. Since this is a music app, Apple refuses to let me use the Workout API for it. I've been trying to get them to add other solutions but nothing seems to have come to the surface yet. Here's a demo of the prototype I had a while ago:

Take care,

Geert

Dear Geert,

An enormous thanks for your answer !
    So you already have it functional but Apple is on the way... Nooo ! 😭
    I just received this morning a random survey from Apple about the Watch and what features I would like to see in the future. Should have linked them directy to this thread... Now we just have to create a petition on Change.org « Let Geert use whatever API he needs to create great music apps for the watch »... 😉

All the best !

• I came here to say, I asked Neova ring about doing what you're doing with midiwrist (gyro). So cool. I had the same idea after seeing their ring and they said they just weren't interested. I love the idea I see being able to set up the same rolling wrist motion to control my modulation, etc (maybe even pitch if the controls can get finite enough.

Glad to see you are working on it. Please let me know if you end up getting it in the store. I already own MidiWrist. It is awesome. :-)

• Hmm great excuse to buy an apple Watch 😄

• @GeertBevin said:

@Paulo164 said:

All the best.

Thanks Paulo,

Take care,

Geert

Good luck with getting the motion capabilities through. That would make it a real competitor with the rings, Touché, etc.

• Wife brought me a Apple Watch SE for my birthday. So had to try this app out. I should imagine it would be a good match with Loopy Pro. Was wondering if @Michael had considered doing a remote control for Loopy Pro. Like you did for AB?