Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

so many Wotjas!

Would like to avoid the Gotchas.

Curious which version is best to get or if there are similar generative apps which do something similar. Just playing around with the demo, its seems super complex and I'm not even sure I could ever comprehend it enough to be productive making music with it. Dhalang was on the edge but doable and I love it.

So, if you do recommend Wotja, which one('s) should I consider.

Thank you!

P.S. I'm more inclined to have a app that has pretty great presets to start with and tweak those settings...

Comments

• They release a new one each year and stop supporting the previous years version

Or you can get the subscription version.

The only one I’ve ever really had much luck/fun with was the one you just typed a phrase into.

• It seems to be more difficult this year:

Three different packages

• tjatja
    edited February 2019

And of course, they don't list the differences.

You would need to compare the texts, which most just don't do and skip the App instead.

Not very nifty from the developer.

It seems that only the most expensive and the subscription based offer MIDI.

• And be aware, that any of those versions is still time-limited (stops playing after some interval).

• The PRO version is NOT time limited. And has multiple midi outs.

The white one (not pro) but offers a subscription with 3 tiers of $/capability. Henceforth dubbed by me the “dabble edition”

No idea about the other two except they seem to never aimed at the press play and just relax crowd.

• I have Wotja A 2018. It was a onetime purchase. It won’t get any more updates, but so far doesn’t need any. It has Midi Out and an 8 hour playback limit.

It is pretty capable of generating really nice material. I usually just auto generate an ‘album’ and let it play. It creates about ten 5-minute ambient tracks, and they usually sound great.

There is a lot of ability to dig in and control the generative parameters, but I haven’t spent much time doing that. I remember trying it with Mixtikl on my Android phone about 5 years ago, but it was pretty confusing for me back then. I think it would be easier now since I know a lot more.

Other apps to consider as alternatives to Wotja are the Moodscaper apps, Refraktions, or any app that is generative with midi out ( there are many now: Riffer, Autony, PolyPhase are just some of the newer ones, but there are soooo many, even going back to something like NodeBeat). You can get very interesting results from these other apps, especially if you combine a few.

But for Wotja, I would avoid the subscription just on personal principle. The version that gets updated for the year is great. It seems to work well past the end of the year, and will probably still work until an iOS update breaks it. Then I will decide if I want to pay another $15 or whatever for the latest version, which I assume would keep working past its support period.

• edited February 2019

There are three types of subscriptions...

1. Content based - This is the more common type of subscription, where you get new content on a monthly basis. Auxy would be an example.
    2. Cloud storage based - Offers at least 500gb of its own cloud storage.
    3. Nothing extra of redeeming value - App developers who offer nothing of redeeming value other than "we'll upgrade it regularly".

At least Intermorphic sticks to that promise, but when you realise Wotja has not one but TWO SEPARATE SUBSCRIPTIONS (one for pro features, and I believe the other is for timing?), then you realise that the best version of Wotja to choose is none of them. Buy a pair of dice/deck of cards and create generative music the old-fashioned way. πŸ˜‚

• I still would recommend the non-sub version.

It plays for 8 hours, uninterrupted.

How long is it going to take you to generate 8 hours of changing, generative music with dice or a deck of cards. And when 8 hours is up, I just tap a button in Wotja and get another 8 hours. You might still be working out the first session with dice and cards, not to mention coming up with algorithms to apply the dice and cards to musically relevant parameters and rules.

Dice and cards. Man, you are too funny.

πŸ˜‚

• This is not right, as far as I can tell.

They only will not get any more updates after the end of 2019.

• Well, Wotja and Noatikl before that) Pro USED TO BE WITH UNLIMITED PLAYTIME, then this got changed, and now you will still have to pay a subscription-based time option on top of the Pro-price. I know this, because up until that happened, I had used Noatikl and Wotja almost exclusively, then learned the hard way and jumped ship. Look it up in their forum, if you really wanna know... cheers, t

• Bought it

Threw it away.

All of the various generative apps on IOS combine into very flexible generative outcomes - much more fun and I get better control via the interaction of apps

IMHO - I found it pretty lame - the output, the non intuitive work method, and the weird pricing 🐷

• Right, so if you like being bled out of the wallet for an app that used to have UNLIMITED playback as Noatikl by a subscription of no real substance, be my guest. Most of us live in a free market society, so nobody's forcing me to pay Intermorphic for Wotja. You do you.

• @animal Yes, I misread and understood that the App stops to work after this year, but you meant stopped after some time of playing.

I don't see any need to play longer than one hour or something, just create the next thing after that hour.

My 2 cent

• I don’t care what YOU do.

I just don’t agree with what you wrote, which seemed like a suggestion for OTHERS to avoid the app.

And I don’t need to more than 8 hours, so I won’t be paying for extended playback. I don’t see why anyone would need more than 8 hour blocks of playback, anyway. Is this really an issue for other people?

• edited February 2019

In case you didn't understand the "πŸ˜‚" emoji after the "dice/cards" comment, it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek and not a suggestion for others to avoid the app.

• Strange, I massively enjoy it and playing around with it.

I use Wotja 2018 and like to change the used templates to get greatly varying outputs.

• This app has been tweaked and fine tuned forever, if you follow its lineage back to that Sseyo Koan thingy. It is so very capable, and really deep in its customibility. That is if you actually take the time to dig into this app.

I am pretty satisfied with letting this fine tuned generative wonder do its thing most of the time. When I checked under the hood, it was very impressive.