Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI Interpretation Experiment / Some Results

13»

Comments

• I feel like I'm making paint for Van Gogh... I'm trying not to do too much except for that solo track where I used my favorite MIDI trick: solo down the tempo and play and then publish with a faster BPM but just at the limit of believability. I wish I could pull that off live but that takes work. Automation lets you slip between the oncoming bullets of the metronomes perfect timing like Neo in the Matrix.

For those the like generative creating just use something that lets you dial in a scale and feel free to mute tracks that don't work for your taste.

• edited March 2019

Nicely done.

Here is my version of @LinearLineman 's Irresistible.

When I first threw this midi in, I hit the random button and the first play sounded a bit like an arcade that the Joker might have owned. Tried to make it sound like multiple arcade games that sometimes intersect melodically. I deleted quite a few spots that came off a bit too harmonious. :) Quantized the bass part I extracted but not the melodies to give it a feel of a solid background music pulse and the lead games being a bit freer.

Made with Modstep, Ruismaker, Ruismaker Noir, Redshrike, Kroneker, a few instances of Square Synth, Moog Model D, and iVCS. Only non-iPad sound sources are drums from Tremor. I mixed and mastered in Reaper.

And please let me know if I got the attribution right on Soundcloud. i.e. if you have another 'stage name.'

https://soundcloud.com/multicellularmusic/arcada-de-los-condenados

• @Multicellular's Durga interpreted:

Trombones for bass

String Drones

French horns for melody track (pushed back in the mix)

added:

Cello(s) for solo

Tablas to add eastern spice

https://soundcloud.com/user-403688328/durga-with-cellos-and-tablas

• Now, @Multicellular, that is too cool! My head is stretching like a rubber band! Appellation correct. "Score" great improvement to "midi tracks by". Well done!!

• edited March 2019

We got some nice output going here. Proud of you guys! This is McD's "Zambia AI" (correct spell doesn't like palindromes it seems). I liked the chorus track and wanted to embellish it, so I duplicated and staggered the tracks with four different choruses, children, female, mixed and something else from BeatHawk and ISymphonic. Caitlin Downey sings the Sopranotron. TJ cello.

https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070/palindrone

• edited March 2019

Very lively @McD! Loved the clarity and cello. Your "scores" are inspirational.

Btw, I noticed you assembled your tracks like I did with your work. Little blocks repeated over and over for each track. Is there a way to copy globally on Cubasis, or any more efficient ways of lengthening a short midi track?

• Stunning... powerful slow build.

OT: The Caitlin Downey simpleset (which is repacked in the new "Streelytron Pro" (Mellotron) App is close to perfect. I like to drench it with reverb to cover some of the weird attack sounds that ruin the illusion of a human voice.

• Then make sure track 1 is selected at the starting line. Hit "Select one" You can "Select" by dragging out a rectangle over the tracks/loops you want to select at one time. This way you can select 5 or more tracks of any length. Any amount of MIDI you can see visible on the screen.

After selection you hit "Copy". Then hit paste. It will add the copied tracks after the current track(s) and to every track below. So 5 tracks each started with 8 par loops can be pasted out to any multiple of 8 just by hitting paste over and over. There's some weird misalignment results that can occur if the current track is not #1. Undo is your friend.

• Yeah,@McD I love Sopranotron, too. Hard to stay in the range, though. That's why I took out her voice in the high parts and put in the cello. It was all part of one improvised line. Btw, ISymphonic has a great soprano in the Tosca pack, but it is coupled with strings. Too bad they just don't have solo soprano.

• McDMcD
    edited March 2019

I had a synth bass at one point and I decided to make something that sounds like musicians playing outdoors for some natural reverb impact. The Trombones kept the bite factor. The sounds in BS-16i are great to grab some decent real instruments fast and cheap. They are recorded dry so you can add just the right amount of reverb at the master mix stage.

• edited March 2019

Ya...hear that.

By the way, my wife, who is Indian, grew up in Hindu temple, so has a long familiarity with this theme, is also enjoying all these Durgas raags. Smiling an dancing a bit cooking dinner.

• McDMcD
    edited March 2019

Never mind... the MIDI file is corrupt so I deleted the comments.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @onkey, a great interpretation. My favorite so far.
    Glad to see you here and I think you hit the nail on the head. One aspect of the “Why I can’t complete tracks” challenge may be the judgement that the initial material is not good enough. For me I have experienced again and again the understanding that I can start with something less than perfect and make it a lot better with the process. So, using another’s idea, that step is skipped. There is the opportunity to not worry about the foundation material and build something worthwhile. Then folks with this obstacle may see it is not necessary to be perfect from the beginning. For me perfection is not necessary at all, but that is another story!
    @McD, mighty good material. I look forward to fucking them up.

So true! Thanks for the inspiration and let's hope others jump on board.

• @McD I am having a problem figuring out how to draw out the envelope after having hit select. ?

• @McD, your Zappa track. More please. I could do an album with you. I used the iSymph Tosca soprano in the second half for your solo line. Equal to Caitlin but different. Again I staggered two solo soprano tracks. The result of this technique, I find, is... staggering! Finally got to use a BeatHawk classical percussion. Lots of Micrologue, SM1 and SM Player.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @McD, your Zappa track. More please. I could do an album with you. I used the iSymph Tosca soprano in the second half for your solo line. Equal to Caitlin but different. Again I staggered two solo soprano tracks. The result of this technique, I find, is... staggering! Finally got to use a BeatHawk classical percussion. Lots of Micrologue, SM1 and SM Player.

Cool beans... I need to pick up that BeatHawk Classical Percussion IAP. I love those deep
    drum sounds. I ran into some Cubasis MIDI mix down issues on my most recent effort and had to pull it back. It didn't render all the Cubasis tracks into MIDI tracks.

• McDMcD
    edited March 2019

Maybe someone can get the various Cubasis tracks to export as individual MIDI tracks. I think @Linearlineman just starts with the Cubasis and saves himself the trouble of uploading multiple MIDI tracks but anyone using SunVox, Auria Pro, AEMS or another DAW will need an assist from a Cubasis savy user. I'll keep looking for the solution to export individual tracks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oiidrpg0kxrg21n/M1M.cbp?dl=0

The project in Cubasis as a starting reference sound like this:

The drums are a person breakthrough for me... Routing the Lumbeats "Reggae Drummer" into Cubasis as a MIDI generator. Then recording it as a MIDI track and not as audio which open the door for changing drum kits and cloning the track for more different drum kits to really get some forceful cymbals and kicks. It also allows for EDM kits or even tuned instruments like Marimbas which can be fun. Historically MIDI Drum tracks on on MIDI Channel 10 as a clue to the older General MIDI Modules that these are drum notes. When one of these tracks gets assigned to the standard Grand Piano and mixed with the chords and melody tracks madness ensues. Change that weird track to channel 10 and it sounds better.

It's a 32 bar pattern:
    8 bars of Eb (no 3rds so major, minor, petatonics will work)
    8 bars F - mixolydian is best to respect the starting Eb root
    8 bars of F#/Gb major or lydian recommended for scale settings
    8 bar F mixolydian again

The pattern uses transposition to switch keys but without any 3rds the scale choices are wide open.

• Here's a rhythm with base MIDI track in 12/8. 32 bars long.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ldq4pz30qcieo9/M2M.mid?dl=0

It sounds like this...

And for the @LinearLineman here's a Cubasis project:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pmjkf3929iagm7l/M2M.cbp?dl=0

• McDMcD
    edited March 2019

I made something very spacey... works well with Pads, strings, arp'ed bells, piano with echoes.

Here's the MIDI file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y38yfgdyiyyza07/M3M.mid?dl=0

A rendering I made using Kaspar & Sunrizer (both with SpiderIceMidas presets) and Arp'ed Bells.

And the Cubasis Project File:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p3hynmcpjfbjctg/M3M.cbp?dl=0

• How about an interpretation @McD?

• @Multicellular said:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/612114#Comment_612114
    Nicely done.
    Here is my version of 's Irresistible.
    When I first threw this midi in, I hit the random button and the first play sounded a bit like an arcade that the Joker might have owned. Tried to make it sound like multiple arcade games that sometimes intersect melodically. I deleted quite a few spots that came off a bit too harmonious. :) Quantized the bass part I extracted but not the melodies to give it a feel of a solid background music pulse and the lead games being a bit freer.
    Made with Modstep, Ruismaker, Ruismaker Noir, Redshrike, Kroneker, a few instances of Square Synth, Moog Model D, and iVCS. Only non-iPad sound sources are drums from Tremor. I mixed and mastered in Reaper.
    And please let me know if I got the attribution right on Soundcloud. i.e. if you have another 'stage name.'

Terrific execution! Thanks for sharing your thought process.