Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio Damage Enso

Comments

• edited October 2019

Bumping this.....Most people familiar with loop pedals would have assumed that this looper would have allowed for a midi note on note off, start stop play etc, mapping option.
    Come on Audio Damage, you can do it!

@Hmtx said:

@Janosax said:
    Not all parameters are accessible, mostly transport controls are missing:

Audio Damage made it clear that they intended transport to be linked to the host by design. I don’t think we will see transport controls added in future updates. (unless you have new info that I missed)

• @hibjshop said:
    Bumping this.....Most people familiar with loop pedals would have assumed that this looper would have allowed for a midi note on note off, start stop play etc, mapping option.

@Hmtx said:

@Janosax said:

Audio Damage made it clear that they intended transport to be linked to the host by design. I don’t think we will see transport controls added in future updates. (unless you have new info that I missed)

I’m not sure I’m understanding what you’re saying, it does have midi mapping and you can control stop play record etc. I use my blueboard with it.

• Hmmmm. I have tried that but it does not go past the waiting stage when i trigger the midi foot switch (note on/off). However it does allow for a midi knob (cc) but that doesnt help me.

@Strizbiz said:

@hibjshop said:

@Hmtx said:

@Janosax said:

I’m not sure I’m understanding what you’re saying, it does have midi mapping and you can control stop play record etc. I use my blueboard with it.

• Hey THX for your info. Its a CC vs note on/off thing. Your blue board does both. I have a lodigy pedal that ships as note on/off but can be reconfigured via computer.
    However Im still not sure why AD chose this option. What if people wanted to midi map these functions to a keybord key or drum pad etc.

@hibjshop said:
    Hmmmm. I have tried that but it does not go past the waiting stage when i trigger the midi foot switch (note on/off). However it does allow for a midi knob (cc) but that doesnt help me.

@Strizbiz said:

@hibjshop said:

@Hmtx said:

@Janosax said:

• I'm currently triggering Enso via my Roland FC-100mkII pedalboard. It works great. At first I was slightly annoyed I couldn't bind the "trigger" in AUM (it doesn't seem to be exposed) but opening up the midi controls in the app allowed me to do exactly that so I'm a happy bunny.

• Hello Audiobus-Community, unfortunately I have a strange problem with the start and stop Buttons. Everytime I press stop and then start the loop-Startpoint shifts a little bit. Here is a screenshot of the shifted Startpoint (after pressing 10 times start and stop) and my AUM-Settings

Anyone an idea how to solve it?

• edited December 2019

@jonasxjonas said:
    Hello Audiobus-Community, unfortunately I have a strange problem with the start and stop Buttons. Everytime I press stop and then start the loop-Startpoint shifts a little bit. Here is a screenshot of the shifted Startpoint (after pressing 10 times start and stop) and my AUM-Settings

Anyone an idea how to solve it?

Do the start points move further when you increase the audio buffer size to 1024 samples?
    And do you hit start inside Enso or are you using the AUM transport?

• @rs2000

Changing the buffer size have not a effect. I‘ve uploaded a screencast on YouTube:
    https://youtu.be/zknBwepSqx0

• @jonasxjonas said:
    @rs2000

Changing the buffer size have not a effect. I‘ve uploaded a screencast on YouTube:
    https://youtu.be/zknBwepSqx0

You seem to be using Enso's transport instead of AUM's transport and in my setup, Enso won't follow AUM's transport position unless you always start from position 001:1.

• @rs2000

Thanks for your support:) hm, ok... then its not possible to use several Enso-Loops at the same time and start and stop them individually, or? I want to see if I could expand (or replace) loopy with this setup.

• @jonasxjonas said:

Its may be worth sendIng a direct email to audio damage. I found a bug with state saving within aum; when saving with the trigger set to record, when reopened the trigger is set to play (quite fustrating).
    Sent an email, got a fast understanding reply stating they will fix in the next update, about two weeks (this was a week ago).

@rs2000

Thanks for your support:) hm, ok... then its not possible to use several Enso-Loops at the same time and start and stop them individually, or? I want to see if I could expand (or replace) loopy with this setup.

• @jonasxjonas said:
    @rs2000

If you are trying to coordinate recording and playback of multiple loops, Loopy is gads easier and more reliable than Enso if you use Audiobus 3 (with or without AUM). No need for menu diving or window swapping. Everything can be done from the Audiobus floating palette. And you can build fun "apps" in Mozaic or Streambyter for all kinds of custom behaviors.

Enso shines for loop manipulation , but in my opinion is not great for coordinated multitrack looping.

• @espiegel123 @rs2000

Ok, think I will stay with AUM, AUdiobus, loopy (or 'group the loop') for now. Just have been curious if Enso would be another option. Have now sent an email to audio demage. Thanks for your help :)

• Quick question.

How many instances of Enso can you run
    or is that dependant upon machine limitation?
    Can you stop individual instances of Enso and leave others running?

Does it start and stop with Ableton Link?

• @Gravitas said:
    Quick question.

How many instances of Enso can you run
    or is that dependant upon machine limitation?
    Can you stop individual instances of Enso and leave others running?

Does it start and stop with Ableton Link?

Number of stable Enso is highly configuration and context dependent, sadly.

• @espiegel123

Okay, good to know.
    What about the transport questions and Ableton Link do you know?

• @Gravitas said:
    @espiegel123

Okay, good to know.
    What about the transport questions and Ableton Link do you know?

re Ableton link: I think AUv3 get timing info from the host. The AU wouldn't know if that info came from link or not.

• @espiegel123

Okay good to know.
    I only started using Ableton link on iOS, didn't need it before
    so I'm still learning the ins and outs on that one.

So correct me if I'm wrong.

Ableton Link uses wifi, syncs everything up, uses start and stop now
    and AUV's get their sync info from the host which could either be
    using Ableton Link or midi clock etc, etc?

• @Gravitas said:
    @espiegel123

Okay good to know.

Basically that's it. Hosts and free running apps and hardware sync using whatever protocol (link, MIDI Clock or whatever). Hosts make transport and clock information available to their clients (plugins).

Ableton Link doesn't have to be by wi-fi (in fact you will get tightest sync using wired connections) and link can be used between hosts on the same machine.

• @espiegel123

Can you use Ableton link using a wired cable between iOS devices?
    Not midi cables obviously.

• @Gravitas said:
    @espiegel123

I don’t think so.

• Just gave this another spin after failing to connect with it at launch. Still does nothing for me, and actually kinda killed my interest in looping.

• @Gravitas said:
    @espiegel123

Okay good to know.

No, AUv3 host sync is done via the AUv3 API and has nothing to do with MIDI clock or Ableton LINK. These are independent sync mechanisms that you might use additionally
    , especially when syncing with other iOS devices, desktop machines or hardware.

@Gravitas said:
    @espiegel123

Yes, if you want to reduce latency, you can attach a USB Ethernet adapter via the CCK and talk LINK over an Ethernet cable. LINK uses UDP packets for fast transmission between peers and it won't care if it's cable or wireless as long as it can see its peers by their IP addresses.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Just gave this another spin after failing to connect with it at launch. Still does nothing for me, and actually kinda killed my interest in looping.

I guess what some folks here (me included) would really appreciate is a few demo sessions (like AUM with one, two or three Enso instances) to learn from.
    Anybody dares to share one?

• Quick question - how would you go about doing multiple tracks like in LoopyHD? Is it possible to have multiple instances sync with each other?

• @cruz777 said:
    Quick question - how would you go about doing multiple tracks like in LoopyHD? Is it possible to have multiple instances sync with each other?

Loopy is an app that has up to 12 tracks/loops. You can have them synced or not synched. All controllable from the Audiobus floating palette.

See: https://wiki.audiob.us/loopy_aum_integration_with_audiobus_3

• @espiegel123 said:

@cruz777 said:
    Quick question - how would you go about doing multiple tracks like in LoopyHD? Is it possible to have multiple instances sync with each other?

Loopy is an app that has up to 12 tracks/loops. You can have them synced or not synched. All controllable from the Audiobus floating palette.

Yes I was asking whether Enso can do something similar.

• @cruz777 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@cruz777 said:

Yes I was asking whether Enso can do something similar.

Sorry. I misread your post.

You might be able to do it with Mozaic or Streambyter, but I don't know of anyone that has.

But given how unpredictable Enso is with more than a few instances (particularly with longer sounds and on anything but an iPad Pro -- and even some people on Pros complain about stability with multiple instances), I don't know of anyone that has invested the time to put together the needed scripts. Loopy is SUPER stable with virtually no track length limit.

• @espiegel123 said:
    But given how unpredictable Enso is with more than a few instances (particularly with longer sounds and on anything but an iPad Pro -- and even some people on Pros complain about stability with multiple instances), I don't know of anyone that has invested the time to put together the needed scripts. Loopy is SUPER stable with virtually no track length limit.

Awesome thank you for your reply, that is all I needed to read! I'll stick to Loopy!

• edited December 2019

Friends, worked all night and this disaster happened to me. I saved in AUM file of my project based on several looper streams, everything was ok, but after that it crashed for the first time in my life and accidentally a resaved my project with this crash (it was late night). So everything that was in buffers of enso's is gone. Is there way to see all the previous versions of my project? Or it gone forever and i must remember it somehow?(((