Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad master input gain control

I have a new Keith McMillen K-Mix and all my recordings were super quiet. I couldn’t work out why —all the settings looked correct.

After a a few emails with the excellent support folks at KM, I found out that iOS has a global input gain, kind of like the volume control, only without a native way to set it.

It it turned out that mine was set to 70%. I increased it to 100% and AUM started redlining its input. Problem solved. The setting is right them in the AUM settings sidebar. Changing it here also changes it in GarageBand etc. it’s global

The K-Mix is unusual in that both this and the volume control keep working when it’s hooked up to an iPad. I’m used to these controls being disabled when connecting to a USB audio interface

How should I set these levels? All the way up for both? Or does that cause clipping? Any advice?