Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioVeek Piano Roll MIDI sequencer AU

Comments

• wow, really looking forward to this :)

• edited March 2019

@blueveek Great stuff is the beta full how do you sign up ?

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @blueveek Great stuff is the beta full how do you sign up ?

It's pretty full, I've been swamped with beta requests for the past weeks :) If you can send me your hardware info via private message I'll consider you (if you have stuff that isn't covered yet).

• edited March 2019

@White said:
    wow, really looking forward to this :)

Thanks! I'm also pretty stocked about finally being so close to releasing it!

• edited March 2019

@blueveek said:
    I've now uploaded a beta for review. So this is getting close :)

Here's another teaser.

Oh and if it wasn't obvious, the screenshot also features @ka010's excellent Volt, which you should totally check out if you haven't yet :)

• @blueveek said:

Here's another teaser.

Looking awesome, 'Sell' it to @mathieugarcia for inclusion in to BM3 ;)

• Very nice! I smell a game changer...

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Very nice! I smell a game changer...

agree

• you can basically build your own modular DAW with AUM/APE and all goodies like this one

• @Hansson said:
    you can basically build your own modular DAW with AUM/APE and all goodies like this one

THE FUTURE IS NOW!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Most definitely looking forward to this one. Anything which helps power the idea of iOS audio being a virtual modular platform is ace by me.

• @blueveek Did you say that the user can trigger the sequence without engaging the transport via MIDI input?

• Ditto! Tritto?! Yeah, I totally agree with iOS being a virtual modular with AU midi apps like this and those by @midiSequencer, so many possibilities.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @blueveek Did you say that the user can trigger the sequence without engaging the transport via MIDI input?

I have a separate AU which is responsible with these kinds of triggers, yes. Planning to release it more or less at the same time as this Piano Roll (they're intended as a bundle).

At the moment it requires the host transport to play in order to actually keep things in sync. Do you have some other behaviour in mind?

• @blueveek said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @blueveek Did you say that the user can trigger the sequence without engaging the transport via MIDI input?

I have a separate AU which is responsible with these kinds of triggers, yes. Planning to release it more or less at the same time as this Piano Roll (they're intended as a bundle).

At the moment it requires the host transport to play in order to actually keep things in sync. Do you have some other behaviour in mind?

I like to take some sequences off the grid to create interesting poly rhythms by manually playing them with a controller. There are other available tools I can use for this but I like the look of that piano roll! Icing rather than cake...

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@blueveek said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

I like to take some sequences off the grid to create interesting poly rhythms by manually playing them with a controller. There are other available tools I can use for this but I like the look of that piano roll! Icing rather than cake...

It's an interesting thought for sure. I'm strongly in favour of relying on host clocks to trigger/time things. Once plugins start implementing their own time-keeping mechanisms, code gets complex. Complex code has more chance for bugs.

So sync is notoriously difficult to get really right once you go this route. But for things like one-shot manual triggers it might be doable. Definitely something I'll have a look at after release.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Hansson said:
    you can basically build your own modular DAW with AUM/APE and all goodies like this one

THE FUTURE IS NOW!

Almost :)
    Now all we need are patch cables in AUM to connect AUv3 parameters between AUs... then we're modular for realz!

• edited March 2019

@Peblin said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Hansson said:

THE FUTURE IS NOW!

Almost :)
    Now all we need are patch cables in AUM to connect AUv3 parameters between AUs... then we're modular for realz!

This is something I'd really really like as well. One of the things I'm hoping to polish enough for release is an automation editor (mentioned this in my first post as well). This automation editor can (not just) change things like velocity, aftertouch etc, but also draw automation for any other CC message, which the plugin can then output. Begin able to easily connect those CC messages to other AUv3 parameters in other plugins would be excellent.

Hoping @j_liljedahl can help us out here :)

• @blueveek looking good - instabuy from me as well!

Nice to see AU Midi getting the love it deserves.

• @blueveek This might sound like a no-brainer question but will it be possible to transpose and optionally restart the recorded sequence using midi-input when it's not in 'record mode'? (ie. treat the recorded midi data as a midi-clip that can be triggered, transposed and played using the keyboard).

• @Samu said:
    @blueveek This might sound like a no-brainer question but will it be possible to transpose and optionally restart the recorded sequence using midi-input when it's not in 'record mode'? (ie. treat the recorded midi data as a midi-clip that can be triggered, transposed and played using the keyboard).

Yup, that's the plan. Trigger using note ons, transpose based on note value.

• @blueveek said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@blueveek said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

It's an interesting thought for sure. I'm strongly in favour of relying on host clocks to trigger/time things. Once plugins start implementing their own time-keeping mechanisms, code gets complex. Complex code has more chance for bugs.

So sync is notoriously difficult to get really right once you go this route. But for things like one-shot manual triggers it might be doable. Definitely something I'll have a look at after release.

Thanks for considering it. I totally understand that it's an edgier use case and I do have other ways to accomplish this.

• @blueveek said:

Here's another teaser.

Nice!!

• Universal support?

• @Audiojunkie said:
    Universal support?

Yup!

• Care to tease what the CC editing will look like?
    (From what I can see & read this will replace most of the AUv3 'sequencers' I have on my iPad)

• @blueveek said:

@Audiojunkie said:
    Universal support?

Yup!

Yay! Thanks!!

• edited March 2019

@Samu said:
    Care to tease what the CC editing will look like?
    (From what I can see & read this will replace most of the AUv3 'sequencers' I have on my iPad)

The look and feel isn't 100% set in stone, so I'll tease it when I'm absolutely sure it'll be what's actually shipped. Maybe in a week or so ;)

• edited March 2019

thanks for taking the plunge blueveek! someone was bound to do this I guess - but congrats for being first on the starting line.

I think this is a kind of mini game changer. I think Jonatan at Kymatica has both thought about and been pestered to do an AUM II that incorporates MIDI piano-roll - which would make it a DAW - but your plugin fills a gap meanwhile.

I was about to suggest having an option whereby whenever more than one track has MIDI created by your plugin - then all tracks can be saved to one MIDI or proprietary file - but in a sense merely by using AUv3 State Saving we have much that we need.

Can wait to try this out and will be glad to be a beta/alpha tester. ( i'm already a beta tester for AUM, AB3 and Quantiloop so wold be good to give it a hammering with these key iOS apps )