Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioVeek Piano Roll MIDI sequencer AU

Comments

• Hmm, do we have any ETA for delivery?

• edited March 2019

@Samu said:
    Hmm, do we have any ETA for delivery?

Restricted beta is fully underway, there's still a few things to polish/enable, but I don't expect it to take much longer. Can't give any specific ETA on actual release date, but everything is on track :)

Here's some messing around:

Piano Roll loop into Troublemaker and Ruismaker

(paintbrush tool, preset loading)

Piano Roll step input into Zeeon

("step input" mode, resizing, slicing)

Many piano rolls, odd loop duration

(routing, intra-bar loop duration)

• Looking sexy!

Will these piano rolls somehow benefit from having your miditools plugins?

• @bleep said:
    Looking sexy!

Sure.

Here's an example of creating polyrhythms in AUM using MIDI Tools: De-Ghost

• edited March 2019

@blueveek said:

@bleep said:
    Looking sexy!

Sure.

Really nice work with these MIDI tools @blueveek - and I am looking forward to the piano roll :smile:

As an idea for future development - how about the ability to store multiple loops within each instance - and then allow them to be triggered by MIDI cc. This way if you had 4 piano roll instances on Drums, Bass, Chords and Lead AUM channels you will then effectively have a scene based looper in AUM - as you could send all 4 piano roll instances the "Play Loop 2" command to switch to the second section.
    Just a thought!

Also I'm wondering if MIDI Ghost might be useful for this use case:
    I am using MIDI Guitar 2 to generate MIDI so I can jam out on iOS synths ( I am a guitar player so my keys skills are rubbish! ) But often I get mis-triggers - which are very very short notes. These do not cause a problem if I play a slower attack sound like cello as they never have time to sound - but for instant one-shot or more percussive attack sounds they are very annoying.

• @ricksteruk said:

@blueveek said:

@bleep said:
    Looking sexy!

Sure.

Really nice work with these MIDI tools @blueveek - and I am looking forward to the piano roll :smile:

As an idea for future development - how about the ability to store multiple loops within each instance - and then allow them to be triggered by MIDI cc. This way if you had 4 piano roll instances on Drums, Bass, Chords and Lead AUM channels you will then effectively have a scene based looper in AUM - as you could send all 4 piano roll instances the "Play Loop 2" command to switch to the second section.
    Just a thought!

You're onto something here ;) I've answered this in another comment, but pasting it here again:

The plan is to first release a polished piano roll that everyone can instantly understand, then focus my energy on finishing two additional AUs with more complex featuresets:

• Multi-tracks that mimic classic DAW workflows (multiple clips per track, each clip has midi notes, each clip has access to the piano roll editor etc.)
    • Scenes/clip launcher that mimics Ableton-like workflows (similar to the above, but for clip launcher heads)

Also I'm wondering if MIDI Ghost might be useful for this use case:
    I am using MIDI Guitar 2 to generate MIDI so I can jam out on iOS synths ( I am a guitar player so my keys skills are rubbish! ) But often I get mis-triggers - which are very very short notes. These do not cause a problem if I play a slower attack sound like cello as they never have time to sound - but for instant one-shot or more percussive attack sounds they are very annoying.

Should work if your triggers are doubled. Otherwise, what you're looking for is a single-trigger MIDI gate plugin, which was planned for release at the same time as MIDI Tools, but I didn't get the chance to properly finish it. Should come as a MIDI Tools Pack 2.0 at some point (assuming @brambos won't beat me to it of course heh).

• @blueveek said:

@ricksteruk said:

@blueveek said:

@bleep said:
    Looking sexy!

Sure.

Just a thought!

You're onto something here ;) I've answered this in another comment, but pasting it here again:

The plan is to first release a polished piano roll that everyone can instantly understand, then focus my energy on finishing two additional AUs with more complex featuresets:

• Multi-tracks that mimic classic DAW workflows (multiple clips per track, each clip has midi notes, each clip has access to the piano roll editor etc.)
    • Scenes/clip launcher that mimics Ableton-like workflows (similar to the above, but for clip launcher heads) > Also I'm wondering if MIDI Ghost might be useful for this use case:
      > I am using MIDI Guitar 2 to generate MIDI so I can jam out on iOS synths ( I am a guitar player so my keys skills are rubbish! ) But often I get mis-triggers - which are very very short notes. These do not cause a problem if I play a slower attack sound like cello as they never have time to sound - but for instant one-shot or more percussive attack sounds they are very annoying.

Should work if your triggers are doubled. Otherwise, what you're looking for is a single-trigger MIDI gate plugin, which was planned for release at the same time as MIDI Tools, but I didn't get the chance to properly finish it. Should come as a MIDI Tools Pack 2.0 at some point (assuming @brambos won't beat me to it of course heh).

That's amazing thank you! really looking forward to these developments

• Sick...

• This will totally awesome and worth the wait :)
    Hope some future BM3 updates will include some of this awesomeness as well hehe...

• edited March 2019

We’re ready whenever you are.. really nice..

😎

• Looks great. Any chance that we are going to see some "function buttons to alter patterns on the fly"? That is one thing that would make a piano roll stand out of the crowd and bring it in jamming ground.
    Ableton has some like invert up/down left/right, double/half lenght. But I think that concept could be "easily" pushed further by introducing some clever algorythm (user created?) e.g. octave up/down, shuffle/random notes, pitch/velocity/lenght, note repeater/multiplier, fill gaps with logical arp notes, replace notes with chords, active steps/step jump like Korg Volcas, punch effects like TE Pocket Operator, etc etc.

• edited March 2019

@blueveek Man that roll editor looks buttery smooth in operation. I'll give you $20 to get it now ;)

I'm a little sad. This is coming just as soon as I have sat down and resigned myself to working exclusively in a DAW piano roll. (kiddin)

This is perfect for live composing and performing, which then could be transferred to a DAW of choice for further arranging and mixing. My biggest frustration has been creating great jams and musical ideas and not being able to make the connection to what I hear and what I see inside a DAW.

One part due to lack of patience the other to tool frustration and unfamiliarity. The immediacy of your roll editor and being able to see it and manipulate it while running other instances is MY gamechanger.

• I am rrrreally ready for this.

• looks perfect. when does it get unleashed to the world?

• Just heard about this today, from a Facebook group about AUv3.
    Sounds really useful and it’s further evidence that DAWfree musicking is picking up where other approaches have left off. In a way, it’s a bit like rebuilding the “Digital Audio Workstation” from the ground up, but with an ear to jamming and live performance. With Ableton Link and a few other collaboration features, AUv3 hosts can free us from the one timeline to make it easier to live with multiple (odd) sequences running in parallel.

At any rate, this is a very welcome development, picking up the challenge set by @brambos to create a pianoroll plugin and living up to some of people’s expectations.

My main wish is that it would somehow support MPE. Sure, it sounds like an advanced feature. But it’s too much fun to play with AUv3 plugins using MPE controllers (including software ones like KB-1 and GeoShred) that it’s a step back to have to use “regular MIDI” sequencers.

Otherwise, there’s the whole idea of handling voices separately. A similar issue but one which has more to do with multitimbrality than with modulating diverse things for each voice.

Of course, the challenge is to keep the pianoroll as simple as possible (but not more). So these things might not make sense in this one plugin. The clip launching is likely to become very interesting and it may bring some of the features from desktop DAWs like Ableton Live, Bitwig Studio, and the most recent version of Digital Performer. The one key difference, though, is that this nonlinear sequencing plugin could even be “nonlinear” in the DAWfree way.

So… This is all very exciting. Can’t wait for the release!

• edited March 2019

Yep.. it’s innovation like this that will soon make the iPad a must for music making..

Was messing with the great FLStudio today.. Yet, as great as it is, it seems to be ‘static’ after working with GR16’s Cond. Triggers...

Hope we get at least ‘Probability’ on release..

Great..

• @blueveek sorry to add yet another request to this thread, lol... but please consider having an auto play enable/disable toggle setting. One of the issues I have with some loopers and such is that they start playing when the host transport is started, but if I have several loops recorded already, I sometimes (or most times) want to start each manually at the time I want while jamming. If you allow us to toggle this setting on and off, then we can choose which ones launch when the song starts and which ones we start manually. Thanks, and really looking forward to this!

• @Philippe said:
    Looks great. Any chance that we are going to see some "function buttons to alter patterns on the fly"? That is one thing that would make a piano roll stand out of the crowd and bring it in jamming ground.
    Ableton has some like invert up/down left/right, double/half lenght. But I think that concept could be "easily" pushed further by introducing some clever algorythm (user created?) e.g. octave up/down, shuffle/random notes, pitch/velocity/lenght, note repeater/multiplier, fill gaps with logical arp notes, replace notes with chords, active steps/step jump like Korg Volcas, punch effects like TE Pocket Operator, etc etc.

All of this sounds really good. Some of these are already in for initial release (like invert, resize, octave up/down etc.). I'm keeping track of this new stuff and will prioritise them for future updates.

• @soundshaper said:
    @blueveek sorry to add yet another request to this thread, lol... but please consider having an auto play enable/disable toggle setting. One of the issues I have with some loopers and such is that they start playing when the host transport is started, but if I have several loops recorded already, I sometimes (or most times) want to start each manually at the time I want while jamming. If you allow us to toggle this setting on and off, then we can choose which ones launch when the song starts and which ones we start manually. Thanks, and really looking forward to this!

This is definitely coming in v1, and is a requirement for clip launching. Play start/ stop can be decoupled from the host transport (although kept in sync tempo-wise), and triggered manually. Optionally, this can be delayed or synced by a specified duration, in bars/beats etc.

• Clip instancing is now finished and polished. This means you can preview other sequences (either one, or as many as you wish) from other piano rolls in the same window, and this should help guide your composition.

Here's how it looks like:

• Count me in for iPhone beta when you get there 👍

• @blueveek said:
    Clip instancing is now finished and polished. This means you can preview other sequences (either one, or as many as you wish) from other piano rolls in the same window, and this should help guide your composition.

This is a really great feature 😊👍

• Brilliant!

• @White said:

@blueveek said:
    Clip instancing is now finished and polished. This means you can preview other sequences (either one, or as many as you wish) from other piano rolls in the same window, and this should help guide your composition.

Brilliant ghost track viewing basically. Reason only just got that and it’s been out years !

• it looks amazing! but please release it now and add more features later :wink:

• edited March 2019

@Jumpercollins said:

@White said:

@blueveek said:

Brilliant ghost track viewing basically. Reason only just got that and it’s been out years !

Yes, the only IOS app I know which has got midi ghost track viewing, is Auria Pro. So it will be really good to have it in this AU 😊

• Pretty sure Medley has ghost notes too.

• @blueveek said:

Just somehow wish this awesomeness would also get baked into other apps like BM3 as well...

• Ghost notes are particularly impressive considering these are standalone AU instances. This is really shaping up nicely.

• @jonmoore said:
    Ghost notes are particularly impressive considering these are standalone AU instances. This is really shaping up nicely.

I think it's good to warn that being able to share data between AU instances is a neat side-effect of all AUs running inside the same process. However, it's not an official feature offered by Apple, which means that they can take it away at any moment.

And that's not even unlikely to happen, because if they listen to our other big request: "please remove the memory limit of xxx Mb per AU" they may very well put all AU instances in their own process - making this feature impossible. :#

So enjoy it while it's there B)