Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Does the iPhone supplement the iPad?

I'm due for a mobile upgrade, so I have a couple of questions for people who use both iPad and iPhone:

1) Has the iPhone seriously supplemented your music making experience in a significant way?

2) Do you have a resource for quickly finding out which apps are universal or not?

Comments

• I prefer iPad to iPhone.

Size matters lol and a lot of my fav apps are iPad only

• edited February 2019

I recently was needing a new phone...Android I'd had was like 6 years old! ...couldn't find a replacement battery.

I took a look for some of the apps I use here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1704410769839550/permalink/2291514721129149/

Got an iPhone 7.

Pro, I'm getting good field recordings with the iPhone 7 and I'm enjoying messing with them in Spacecraft.

Con, I don't know if this applies to you, but the lack of a headphone jack is an issue for me.

Initially I also tried the lighting adapter but it wasn’t properly driving my headphones.

Then I tried a few Bluetooth earbuds and they were all awful. I have great studio wired headphones and now good Shure earbuds that are sufficiently cancelling and have a flat enough spectrum to use for sound design. And I'm annoyed about buying more that will also sound trash. So I haven't used the iPhone for a lot more than spacecraft, because when I add a bluetooth converter, I'm already part of the way, hassle wise, of having the iPad. I may instead try to find a smaller bluetooth transmitter. If I could find a tiny one, maybe I'd use it more.

Or revisit the ear buds with the lightning adapter, but where is it now....ugg

• I use the iPhone way more than the iPad personally, convenience more than anything since it's always with me.

• edited February 2019

I use the iPhone more as a supplement than a daily driver, but it’s fun to mess around at work or while waiting for appts, etc.

I like using it to discover sounds and tweak patches with Universal apps but don’t seem to have much luck creating on iPhone.

I mostly use the iPhone via Bluetooth MIDI as a controller for ChordPolyPad. It works with very little if any latency on my iPad Pro 10.5”. Still trying to figure out other ways to incorporate it into my workflow so looking forward to hearing from others.

I also use the iPhone for some field recording occasionally but I got the iPhone SE which is smaller and still has the headphone jack which I highly recommend if you don’t mind (or prefer) a smaller phone footprint.

• Is the lightning to headphone adapter awkward? There seem to be a bunch of 6s iPhones around and I'm looking at them because of their headphone jack.

• edited February 2019

The headphone adapter works perfectly and has very good converters. Not really an issue. You can do anything on an iPhone you can do on an iPad, minus not universal apps. The only difference is of course screen size, some musicians can’t stand little iPhone screen some others love its extra mobility and immediacy. I recommend Plus/Max or XR models. For universality, I search apps in Google and tap on iTunes link to know if it’s available or not on the iPhone, as AppStore search is sometimes unreliable.

• No, I left behind my iPhone when I got an iPad and will be buying a non-Apple phone once my 5S finally kicks the bucket. Despite plenty of my apps being universal, I'm never in a music-making situation where I only have my phone available.

• edited February 2019

I find the iPad can supplement the iPhone. 😎

Not all apps are universal/available on the iPhone - I just generally don't buy those (I rarely use my iPad because it isn't all that mobile in comparison). I either use my PC if I'm going to use a large screen/sitting at home, or my iPhone when not at my PC (or MacBook Pro). An iPad is generally superfluous for me.

• Don’t forget Audiobus remote :) that works well on phone as companion to iPad.

• Depends. An iPhone Plus is just large enough to work with Groove Rider for example, but on smaller phones it's pretty much Garageband, Gadget, Triqtraq and Loopy for me. And AudioLayer as a pure sound source.

• Getting apps well designed for the iPhone screen layout is a must for easy sailing, no doubt. Groovebox, Mitosynth, GarageBand, Triqtraq, Figure, etc.

• Not really. I think i used my iphone once as a recorder and tried to use gadged o phone maybe once as well, but the screen is too small for that

• I use my iPhone as a tuner mainly, and sometimes as a remote for Reaper, take pics of my hardware & old synths for song/ mix recall.

Don't enjoy making music on puny screens.

• After getting an iPad I rarely ever make music on my phone. I was a few minutes ago but only because I’m in my car and this is all I have aside from shaking my keys and banging on a snow shovel or Altoids tin.

• Elastic Drums is super fun on the phone, none of the other apps I’ve tried have been worth it though. It’s the only music app besides AudioShare and a tuner I keep on my SE.

• Oh, forgot to mention one useful combination: iPhone with TwistedWave Audio Editor plus an external Zoom Lightning microphone (iQ7). Upload by ftp/sftp is possible too, no WebDAV though.

• I iPhone is also great with ThumbJam.

iPad for me all the way.

• I use both. When I have time I get out the iPad and have a decent session, then I’ll transfer to iPhone for listening and smaller tweaks throughout the day. Means you can make music all the time! Also helps with actually finishing songs and saves money on apps if you only buy universal ones.

• Ya, I should note I was initially having trouble with it driving my preferred cans, I should revisit that for the good earbuds I got.

1. I went from an iPad Air 2 to an iPhone 6s Plus. No regrets, and yes the iPhone adds quite a bit to my music making experience. One downside is the lack of DAWs, no Cubasis or Auria. The 6s Plus is a powerhouse though, even has a headphone hack! Got mine at Best Buy last year at a good price.
    2. The AppStore lets you know the compatibility of apps, just look in the app listing. Another downside: Can’t sort AppStore searches on the iPhone, so searching for things is a bit trickier.
  • I’ve been using the iPhone 7+ ever since my iPad was stolen. About 5 days ago I bought a iPad Pro 11” 256 gigs and I’m beyond stoked I did. I prefer making music on the iPad.
  • Of course the iPad screen space is preferable. But somebody is gonna make a voice controlled music app that makes the iPhone invaluable. Consider this: you are driving or mowing your lawn or otherwise busy with your life. But your creative brain is busy working on a tune. Imagine an Alexa style assistant who helps you craft a chord progression, an arrangement, etc. That would be the ultimate iPhone music app.
  • Haha thanks for the reminder about TJ on the phone, it works real well for jamming over ElasticDrums patterns in AUM. I don’t want to bring my iPad to work anymore as we’ve had a few personal items stolen from the back , so ThumbJam and ED it is for lunch break jams