Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Other apps

edited January 2014 in App Tips and Tricks

Has anyone a method to get audio out of any of these other music apps that don't support AudioBus or Inter-App Audio? I will admit to being a newbie when it comes to iPhones & music, but there are some interesting things some of these apps can produce that I'd like to get into GB (or one of these other AB-compatible apps I have)... I believe some of these apps have some method of e-mailing or using SoundCloud to move stuff, but I'm behind-the-curve there & surely all of them don't. My thanks in advance, Happy New Year to all!

Comments

• It would be helpful if you listed some of the specific apps you have questions about.

• Audio copy/paste is another alternative. If an app has no means built in, you can cable the audio out to the audio in on another device and record it.

• If the app doesn't have native export options, one possibility is to do a "loop" with a JamUp plug or similar audio interface. Pretty sure there was info and a pic for this at one point in the forum but it's been awhile.

• edited March 2014

• It would be helpful if you listed some of the specific apps you have questions about.<

Not to say that all of these are keepers, but a list of ones I think more of than the others (at this point):

SSSSYNTH
    iKlavka
    JamSynth
    SAS 4 AS Lite
    MegaCurtis
    ClapBox
    Hexa Ice
    Masss Http
    Incan Synth
    DJ Player

A lot of these may be less-than-capable or mere toys, but being able to use whatever they produce would raise their value to some degree. Doesn't mean they're off the chopping block...

• Don't know about the others but MegaCurtis has clipboard export and email functions. You can also get recordings through iTunes file share.

• A thought occurs to me: One can conceivably record from one music app on one iPhone into another music app on a second iPhone, can they not?

• Yes, at whatever level of quality you want to pay for, up to iConnectMIDI4+ for pure digital. A couple of Behringers would do an analog copy. You need to be on iOS 7 though.

• edited March 2014

• @Brain said:

A thought occurs to me: One can conceivably record from one music app on one iPhone into another music app on a second iPhone, can they not?

I do this from iPad to iPhone. Stereo out in my iPad to stereo in via blue digital Mikey on my iPhone. Did it way more often before audiobus though!

• Does the iConnectMIDI4+ actually exist yet? It's been 'coming soon' for a hell of a long time now...

• Or you can take the cheapest, lowest quality route with a 1/8" to 1/8" cable between the devices.

• Funjunkie27 provides the answer I had in mind/hoped for, so all I would need is access to another iPhone (I do, sort of... and an iPad!) & buying another copy of GB (not be GB-centric but it's the first great music app I've used, and I'm pretty familiar with it by now). As for the Behringer UVA222 option: I assume that this would provide control over the recording process vs. recording the dry signal. While I'm not an audio engineer (I'd rather write & compose) I do want an acceptable low-bid setup that doesn't pull me too far away from the iOS (7) environment. Thank you!

• 1/8" to 1/8" route sorta works. A) don't think a standard cable will do because the rings might be misaligned but don't quote me on that. B) it will mono input no matter the output because that's all the headphone jack/mic input supports.

• GB is not the best but if you're comfortable with it, well... I dunno. Big download, nice strings though. Anyway, you don't need to buy another copy of it. You already own it so download to as many devices as you need. Cubasis is great - better in my opinion.

Now what I do with non-AB apps is record through my mixer into my PC running Cubase. You can pick up a copy of the basic but bloody good value Cubase package for less than 100 quid (or bucks) and grab a soundcard for less - the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 is a legendarily decent value option. You can easily export wavs from iPad to PC, into Cubase, and then add in extra tracks 'live' through the soundcard inputs. This is how I do everything now. Create the majority of the track on iPad and then complete on PC. Yes indeedy.