Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Navichord into Beatmaker 3

Could anyone give me a workflow that would allow me to connect an AU like Poison202 to the Navichord app and then be able to record midi from Navichord into a Beatmaker 3 track? Any help would be highly appreciated!

Comments

• cant you just load navichord as iaa into a bank in bm3, load poison into another bank and route the midi via midibus (audio veek's midi tools)?

• I don't have iPad in my hands right now, but I have already successfully used this combo, so just some blind hints:

• go to Navichord settings and enable "active in background"
    • go to Navichord audio settings and disable audio (unless you want to hear sounds from navichord and BM3 playing together for some reason, but usually you don't)
    • go to Navichord MIDI settings, enable MIDI
    • got to Navichord MIDI > I/O settings, check if you see Beatmaker3 as output under output channels
    • I remember I had some problems when using omni channel so I would go for limiting it only for e.g. channel 1.
    • In BM3, open settings and check if you can see Navichord as MIDI input
    • In BM3 under the bank and pad where your synth/instrument is loaded, check MIDI settings and select Navichord and channel 1 as MIDI input. This may not be needed, but MIDI routing in BM3 is sometimes confusing to me. Seems like it does not work well when OMNI channel is used (or it's possible that I don't completely understand MIDI specs... But it definitely works differently in e.g. AUM)
    • Don't use any MIDI effect on that bank in BM3 as the recent update killed passing MIDI notes trough MIDI AUv3

Remember that you need full version of Navichord (not lite) to use MIDI out.

Also note that you don't need Audiobus or any other intermediary app to make this setup work. If you have any additional questions, just quote this comment so I will receive a notification and I can re-check the exact steps needed while I will have iPad on my hands.

• BTW a pro tip which I haven't tried out yet but want to :) You should be able to trigger navichord chords directly from BM3. There is MIDI learn option in Navichord, so it should be able to create a setup like this:

B1 = empty bank in BM3 which pads / keys you will use to trigger navichord pads

B2 = bank in BM3 with the synth / samples you want to be played in chords

Then you'll just hit e.g. MIDI learn Chord pad 1 (event type notes) in Navichord, go to BM3, and hit any pad on B1 you want to trigger the chord. Repeat for all 16 available Navichord pads. Then you'll just have to setup connection between Navichord and B2 the same way as I mentioned in the comment before. Then you'll need to switch to Navichord only when you need to change the chords in the pad if you don't like some of the 16 you have already set. But all the recording and playing around could be done without leaving BM3.

If someone manages to make this work, please let me know, I don't know if I'll have a chance to try it out in the upcoming days...