Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Video, a better look at Jam Synth, now free

I like this, it works, and is a lot of fun to use. And now its free everyone should have a go

Comments

• Jam Synth is uniquely awesome! There's no way this thing should be free. (Or have such inexpensive IAP's!) I can't get playing like this from any other app, I probably woulda paid more just for the Harmonizer. Thanks for showing people what this app can do, Doug.

• I think the app has some potential, and I paid for it as well as the IAPs, but there are two problems with it IMO: the internal synth just doesn't sound that good to my ears, and the MIDI out isn't accurate enough. It could be a great app some day though, playing this kind of instrument with a guitar is really a lot of fun, and offers a potential for original sounds.

• Have you tried controlling other iOS synths with this Doug?

• I had it working pretty well with Magellen earlier today.

• I gotta say that I'm having more fun with this little app than any of the other guitar related apps that I have. It is quite literally plug and play, and it tracks my notes incredibly smoothly. I really like it!

• Thanks for another great video Doug! I need to invest in some video equipment and get over my fear of talking on camera.

@richardyot What is the biggest issue? I've tested it alongside all the other ones on iOS and it's performing just as well and in some cases better (usually pitch bend accuracy and no stuck notes). I'm going to add a transient detector to allow plucking the same note repeatedly to send multiple note on events, but I can't identify any other problems besides that one. If you tell me what app you're triggering I'll set it up myself and examine the output. Also if your guitar is even a little out of tune the MIDI conversion will start getting confused, unlike the internal tracking which is pretty much microtonal "any frequency you want." MIDI messages are locked onto the western scale however and the guitar must be in tuned to it for the pitch bend to know how far from which MIDI note to bend. Poor intonation will also likely mess this up. Anyway if I find it I'll fix it so let me know.

I have a bunch of new FX in the works, but it looks like a new synth engine is high priority since no one likes phase distortion synthesis. Probably FM cause it's popular and granular cause I like it.

• @dreamless, nice work on the update, I'm glad you took my suggestions ;)

I still suggest you make the max pitch bend range control in the standard +/- semitones instead of your arbitrary multiplier on 2. It isn't a guesswork part of the spec, it is essential for good interoperability with other synths and is totally standard procedure.

Awesome tracking, and now works great with ThumbJam!

• @dreamless said:

@richardyot What is the biggest issue? I've tested it alongside all the other ones on iOS and it's performing just as well and in some cases better (usually pitch bend accuracy and no stuck notes).

Well, as an example I tried playing the bass line from Air's La Femme d'Argent on my guitar via Jam Synth and then out to Sampletank to replace the guitar notes with a sampled bass instead. You probably know the song, it's not fast at all but it does have some important articulations (hammer-ons & pull-offs) which are essential to the feel of the tune. I can't really play this through Jam Synth because too many notes are dropped, but MIDI guitar will do it OK. The guitar is definitely in tune :)

• Ah, hammer ons and pull offs. Those can cause some extra harmonics or a little vibration from other strings that can mess it up. MIDI guitar has polyphonic magic so it still works. I'm going to test them anyway to see what I can do with that kind of output.